Perennial other than clover?

Thanks for the info. Had planted medium red clover last fall
With a bushel of each, rye and oats. The grains were left to mature completely. I drilled a legume mix (peas soybeans sun hemp) into the brown grain. The thatch was real heavy. Four to six inches packed down heavy. Surprisingly the conventional drill placed the seed in the ground very well. Planted June 23 rd. Upon germination, the stand looked amazing. I was grinning from ear to ear for weeks. Finally after all the years of trying I had a decent food plot.
As time passed I began to notice the MRC was taking over in some spots. When I was drilling had noticed the clover in spots was ten inches or higher and the drill was knocking it down. That clover rebounded but the other legumes fought back. The deer.......were in paradise. My neighbor plants 23 acres of soybeans just for deer directly across the paved road from the plots. Very few deer crossed the road to eat his beans.
The red clover now two months later has taken over half of the plots. I had planned to have standing beans for the winter but with the red clover at three feet tall in the fields, bean production will be limited or none.
Sorry for the long winded post but do have a question. Is there a way or chemical to supress the red clover for a while so the mix can come up and thrive. The deer have just hammered the clover day and night but I am trying for standing beans.
Also will the MRC stay green and feed the deer this winter or will I need to reseed with a grain to feed the deer thru the winter (and hold them on my side of the road).
Thanks again for any information.
Never knew this plotting was so much FUN!

Mowing MRC close will knock it back a lot.

As far south as you are MRC should stay green even longer than it does here. Mine is generally green well into November. But, white clover will outperform MRC as it gets colder.

Back