Pel. Lime vs. Ag Lime

WCD4

If a soil sample calls for 2,000#/ac of lime, what would be the equivalent of pelletized lime per acre? Cost is a huge factor but let's say in this instance it is not a factor. Would you apply 2000#/ac of pelletized lime if you couldn't get ag lime? Or is there a certain amount of pelletized lime that is equal to 2000# of ag lime?

Smarter people on here might have a better answer, but part of it depends on the Calcium Carbonate Equivalent of the available AG lime. CCE. In Georgia, the minimum CCE of AG lime is 85%, so you run your calculations from there, for me.

The quick answer, is on the outside of the pelletized lime bag. This shows, 2/3rds of the way down, that 1814 lbs of this product is equivalent to 2000 lbs of AG lime, with a CCE of 90.

Lime bag.jpg Lime CCE.JPG

But, if you're doing a couple acres, just put down the recommended amount, in pelletized lime and be done with it. Take another soil test in 2-3 years and apply more at that time.

From all the studies I have read, there is very little difference between the two, other than spreading preferences and cost. I think pelletized lime is like 4 times as much as AG lime.

I can get 2000lbs of AG lime for $40. I have to pay I think $4 for 50 pounds of pelletized (or $160 for 2000 pounds).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From all the studies I have read, there is very little difference between the two, other than spreading preferences and cost. I think pelletized lime is like 4 times as much as AG lime.

I can get 2000lbs of AG lime for $40. I have to pay I think $4 for 50 pounds of pelletized (or $160 for 2000 pounds).

It costs more, but is easier to spread on smaller plots that most of us plant. We wanted Ag lime, but couldn't find a way to spread it evenly on small plots without having to buy specialty equipment. Quality equipment cost more than the lime.

Or if you can find an old 10 foot wide lime spreader, in good shape, and cut it down. This was my Grandfathers 1956 spreader and we narrowed it by 4 feet, to go down trails. It spreads dry AG lime well. Wet AG lime, not so much.

Doug 027.jpg

It costs more, but is easier to spread on smaller plots that most of us plant. We wanted Ag lime, but couldn't find a way to spread it evenly on small plots without having to buy specialty equipment. Quality equipment cost more than the lime.
Powdered lime is drastically cheaper in most areas, so much so that on a small plot I'd pull on some old clothes and spread powdered bagged lime by hand out of a five gallon bucket. We've always used this method on our gardens, I wouldn't consider doing a half acre plot as a huge job. For the cost conscious you will get way more bang for your buck this way.

Id love to get a ton of Ag lime for $40, I haven't priced it lately but it wouldn't surprise me if it was at least double or triple that, thankfully our ag fields don't need it very often

Id love to get a ton of Ag lime for $40, I haven't priced it lately but it wouldn't surprise me if it was at least double or triple that, thankfully our ag fields don't need it very often
It's $24 a ton where I am in MS. Problem is no one wants to spread it for you unless you are within 10 miles of them or have row crop. They'll drop a load for you within about a 30 mile radius but it's a 27 ton min delivery. But for $24 a ton.

Back