9e30c92dfa4a579797ceb0cedf78f8d2.jpg

3cdca23ef2c537215df3d93694c8adfe.jpg

b880057f0ebb204e53a5f404f5016720.jpg

25dbc1c54d6dd8639e485af8c199ad9e.jpg

c1e130461d4bab2eebab5dcb9fdaa401.jpg

e4de2fe099943a1606838ab3d271a8ad.jpg

9a2836995b30bf6786cbfeef168c2e22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We ain't got no bucks in Oklahoma! Those big bucks must have got lost and came down from Kansas:D. When I hear other states talk about their DNR I am very pleased with the way our DNR works with our deer population.

thanks for sharing
todd

Good lord, I once saw a deer maybe 150-160 on camera here, never layed eyes on anything over 125" in person.

You really do have to give it up to our Wildlife Dept. They have done an excellent job in managing our deer. In the '80's you would be lucky to see a deer. Just seeing those racks is what makes managing your hunting land a year round hobby for me.

Those are some giants. I don't think I would have told anyone about all the giants ya'll are growing down there.

Shhhhh!!! You don't want to encourage any more of us crazy Texans to come up and start coming after those monsters. Seriously though, my dad called me and asked if I had seen this same email from the Oklahoma Wildlife Department and I told him that I saw it and that they must have some sort of whitetail and moose crossbreeding program going!

Oklahoma has been coming on as of late for big mature whitetails with large racks. 2015 was the wettest year on record we had and I knew with all of that moisture the state would put up some big deer. 2016 for the last 1/2 of the year we are back in drought that is still persisting. I expect rack sizes to be a bit smaller this coming fall but I expect some really mature bucks to fall...happens every 5 years. Our 9 day muzzleloader season will fall 1 week later and start October 28th and run until November 5th which is typically the best time to hunt in our state for pre-rut chase phase and then we have 1 weekend in between of bowhunting and then our 16 day rifle season opens the 18th of November which is real early for rifle and will hit peak breeding rut...every 5 years we have this set of dates and if I am going to kill 2 bruisers in a year this is the year again.

I started noticing this pattern in 1997 when I killed 2 big deer, then again in 2002, 2007, 2012, and hopefully the pattern will continue in 2017...

IMO though to get to being like some of the great states for whitetail like Iowa and Kansas we need to move firearms out of the rut into mid December or so...

Okie, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Move rifle out of the rut! Kansas has been inching rifle season earlier and earlier in the yr. They've got it catching the tail end of the rut right now, won't be long until it's mid November.

Okie, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Move rifle out of the rut! Kansas has been inching rifle season earlier and earlier in the yr. They've got it catching the tail end of the rut right now, won't be long until it's mid November.
The sad thing is I don't think it will ever happen. If we had started out that way it wouldn't be an issue but now that it has been that way for so long I can't ever see them giving it up. I know States like Missouri have their rifle season the week before ours which in Oklahoma is the absolute best time to be in the woods with any weapon and I think it is taking a toll on their really top end deer...

Don't get me wrong, I hunt every season with every weapon as often as possible and absolutely hated when we got 16 days of rifle instead of 9. I hunt those days but if it came to a vote I would vote to go back to 9 and move it into December. My spike killing friends look at me like I am an alien when I say stuff like this :(

Food plots, habitat, feeders... nothing trumps age. Kansas has big bucks because they get old. Oklahoma has some wide open spaces for deer to survive 4-5 years.

Food plots, habitat, feeders... nothing trumps age. Kansas has big bucks because they get old. Oklahoma has some wide open spaces for deer to survive 4-5 years.
Not very open anywhere I hunt...buck I killed this bow season was quite a bit older than 4-5...

Strolling through the Eastern Outdoor Show in Harrisburg yesterday I noticed a booth for Oklahoma hunts. I didn't stop to chat, but they were advertising hunts on "newly opened Choctaw land" in southwestern (? maybe southeastern) OK, and had some whoppers shoulder mounted in their booth. I think they were selling hog hunts too. The couple of loaded up nontypicals that they had reminded me of this thread. I didn't stop to ask if they know an OkieKubota.

Strolling through the Eastern Outdoor Show in Harrisburg yesterday I noticed a booth for Oklahoma hunts. I didn't stop to chat, but they were advertising hunts on "newly opened Choctaw land" in southwestern (? maybe southeastern) OK, and had some whoppers shoulder mounted in their booth. I think they were selling hog hunts too. The couple of loaded up nontypicals that they had reminded me of this thread. I didn't stop to ask if they know an OkieKubota.
Nobody would know me there...I try to keep myself low key ;) I may have seen that same booth in Tulsa a few years ago. They had a couple big non-typicals and a bunch of pictures to sell hunts...gosh, that would have had to be about 8 or 10 yrs ago...

Here is another oklahoma freak!
http://newsok.com/article/5541219

Wow!
FREAK OF NATURE: A buck killed during the gun season in Oklahoma County is the talk of the deer hunting world
godfrey.jpg
by Ed Godfrey Published: March 12, 2017 3:32 AM CDT
facebooktwitterpinterestemail133 comments

.embedded_video { background: #ffffff; } #videoHolder.fixed { width: 300px; height:168px !important; top: 110px; position: fixed; left: auto; margin-left: 750px; z-index: 900; box-shadow: 0px 0px 8px #000; border: 5px solid white; } #videoHolder .closeBtn { background: url(//s3.amazonaws.com/content.newsok.com/newsok/images/closeit.png); height: 29px; margin: 0; opacity: 1; position: absolute; width: 28px; text-indent: -7777px; top: -14px; right: -14px; border: none; display: none; z-index: 2; } #videoHolder.fixed .ndn_embed,#videoHolder.fixed .ndn_embed object{ width:300px !important; height:168px !important; }

w640-16995a738eb4108c99646840ca9fb2fd.jpg

Brad Julian Jr. of Oklahoma City holds the European mount of the whitetail he shot near Jones during the gun season. The buck's score will be a world record for a 3 x 3 main frame. George Moore measures the antlers for Boone & Crockett while Brad Julian Jr. looks on. [PHOTOS BY ED GODFREY, THE OKLAHOMAN]
Boone and Crockett scorer George Moore was sitting at a table at the Backwoods Show last weekend, waiting for the next hunter to bring him a rack to measure, when he spotted Brad Julian Jr. walking down the aisle toward him.

“I didn't know what to think,” Moore said of the European mount that Julian was carrying. “I thought he was bringing us the head of a dinosaur.”

What the Oklahoma City resident was bringing to be scored was the rack of a massive whitetail that he shot during the deer gun season in far eastern Oklahoma County near Jones.

Since last weekend's Backwoods Show, photos of the rack have spread like wildfire on social media. It's the talk of the deer hunting world.

“This is a world-class deer, a 3 x 3 frame that scores this much,” Moore said.

In fact, the buck will be the biggest 3 x 3 ever listed in the Boone & Crockett record book once certified by the Montana organization.

Moore measured the buck at the Backwoods Show, but Boone & Crockett asked him to review it, so he measured it again Wednesday in an Edmond office.

The final result is the antlers grossed 223 inches and netted 216 1/8. It is not a state record, but with antlers as thick as an elk's, the buck may be the most unique ever killed in Oklahoma.

The European mount weighed 12 1/2 pounds and the main beams of the buck measured 29 inches each.

“Phenomenal,” Moore said. “I've scored somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 deer in my lifetime. No doubt this is the most unique deer I have ever scored.”

Julian, 36, a heating and air technician, shot the buck off a few acres of family land near Jones during the second weekend of the gun season.

Julian said he had photos of the buck for the past five years from his trail cameras, but wondered if he would ever get a chance to harvest it because it was so nocturnal.

“I knew he was special from the moment I saw him,” Julian said. “He's my dream.”

Hunting out of a pop-up blind on top of a camouflaged travel-trailer, Julian shot a buck that had been trailing a doe that morning.

He wasn't aware when he pulled the trigger on his 6.5 Creedmoor rifle that the buck was the same monster deer that had been eating his corn and food plots for the past five years.

“I shed a tear when I walked up on him and saw how massive he was,” Julian said. “He's a freak of nature.”

Julian started deer hunting five years ago. This is the first buck he has ever harvested. He has been told many times already that he will never get a better one.

Back