OFFICIAL 2017 Nut/Seed Exchange Thread

To those I have promised seed to I have sent you a PM as I shipped them out today so you should see them in a few days. I apologize it took this long, but I missed the post office by 1/2 hour last saturday and have been in the Detroit area all week for work. I'm glad to help out fellow habitat folks and all I ask if when the chance presents itself try to be generous to other habitat folks....good luck with your plantings and keep us up to speed on how they go.

Looking for Ozark chinquapins, Chinese chinquapins, allegheny chinquapins, any varieties of chestnuts, non native persimmons and gobbler oak.
I have Chinese chestnuts, native persimmons, sawtooth oak, burr oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I should have gobbler oak. That's the variety the Ark Forestry Commission sells and I noticed a good crop on it earlier this year. Let me check next week.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I should have gobbler oak. That's the variety the Ark Forestry Commission sells and I noticed a good crop on it earlier this year. Let me check next week.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Is that there variety of sawtooth they sell every year? If it is I'll just order some trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will have some late dropping Burr Oak available this year if someone is interested. I just checked the tree and they are still very green. I will check every week and try to snatch them up before the squirrels do. I expect another month on these before they’re ready.

Interested in some DCO!

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Last edited:
Anybody want some buckeye? I walked K-State's campus this morning and found like a dozen under a pretty small tree, but the nut is HUGE!

Hurricane Nate rolled through last night and hurricane force winds do a very effective job in shaking acorns loose from the tree. I picked up almost 4 gallons of very large swamp chestnut oak acorns this afternoon in a local park. There are still quite a few on the ground that I was not able to carry. Let me know if anyone is interested in getting some.

Might be out on a limb here but anyone with any Nuttall acorns? Seems to be a hard one to find and I've been looking for one all over.

I might have some DCO for you (they are native and I have yet to find a key that gives me a positive id on them). I've been told they are probably DCO but I can't guarantee it...

Here are the differences between them:

The first three pics are of nuts and bushes under 6ft tall. Notice their nuts are almost completely developed and close to ripe. All my trees that are under 6ft tall and produce have a drop time that is 2wks earlier than my taller Chinkapin oaks.
bf9d78e5d883c716ddf66595c722bda2.jpg
6ada592afbeca0371283a904d0d6f165.jpg

These acorns are on a bush that is knee high....
5cfbdf145dd59901f1d916ffc3ef88b0.jpg

This is one of my taller than 10ft Chinkapin trees. They have near identical leafs, but are much bigger before they start producing and drop later than the smaller trees.
4c328fad2209ebab5494994324d857e6.jpg

Let me know if these interest ya.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Earlier I posted that I could probably get DCO's. I didn't do a great job of collecting this yr and all that I have left are some Sawtooth.
If anyone wants some next yr get ahold of me early in the season and I can make a point of collecting enough.
Thanks!

Might be out on a limb here but anyone with any Nuttall acorns? Seems to be a hard one to find and I've been looking for one all over.
I could be wrong, but I think that Nuttalls are one of the last oaks to drop. In the South, they don't start dropping until November or December. That may be why you cannot find any right now.

I could be wrong, but I think that Nuttalls are one of the last oaks to drop. In the South, they don't start dropping until November or December. That may be why you cannot find any right now.

You are correct, they are later dropping oaks and that is why I'm so interested! Problem being, I don't know if anyone knows where one of these trees are to gather a handful of nuts!

Not to stick my nose where it doesn't belong, but will nuttall grow in your area? I tried one once and it was reduced to a shrub from winter kill - not even sure it's still alive to be honest.

Not to stick my nose where it doesn't belong, but will nuttall grow in your area? I tried one once and it was reduced to a shrub from winter kill - not even sure it's still alive to be honest.

Everything that I've read and seen says they will. We are in zone 6. I'd imagine y'all have most of the same weather that we get with just maybe some more snow! Maybe they don't grow though and that is why you don't see them? I was just going by everything that I have read and seen with the growing zones

Everything that I've read and seen says they will. We are in zone 6. I'd imagine y'all have most of the same weather that we get with just maybe some more snow! Maybe they don't grow though and that is why you don't see them? I was just going by everything that I have read and seen with the growing zones
Mine didn't do well - I bought 3 gallon container tree and the following winter killed the top 2/3 of it. Like I said - I'm not even sure it's still alive anymore. Link below is from the US forest service.....I knew I was pushing it at my place.... I thought you was in a similar zone as I was and was why I asked. Good luck.
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/database/documents/pdf/tree_fact_sheets/quenuta.pdf

Back