NYS Tree Farm Program 480-A and the fee to develop the Forestry Plan

Chainsaw, I had never heard the term "Chasing the sale" as it relates to increasing assessments, so as you suggested I looked it up and found it very interesting and will certainly do more research on it. Thanks

Here is a crazy one for you. I purchased my neighbors house and adjoining separate 2acre parcel for $20k less then what the assessors office had just the house listed at. I would have though this would have prompted an immediate reduction in what they had the market value listed at, thus my assessment leading to a reduction in the taxes, but it did not. So that is another battle I have to fight with a different township. You have to love it when the man makes an automatic money grab but not an automatic reduction.

This is a perfect example where "Chasing The sale" gets them in trouble. They use the sale price as an excuse when it is in their favor but then discount it when it is not. It is inconsistent, unfair and not defensible. You are definitely dealing with a good old boy town system with unfair and thus illegal assessment practices.

The whole re-assessment process is something that most landowners don't entirely understand and very well should if they want to keep their taxes at a low or affordable rate. I know of more than a few landowners near me that purchased a piece of property and had their assessment raised to their purchase price, thinking that their assessment would stay at the current value. I believe the only way to combat this is to wait until the town has another re-assessment and to contest the value with the town assessor.

We have successfully had our assessment lowered on our farm each time that we have had a re-assessment by contesting and showing other similar properties where their per acre land value was much lower than ours. Most people don't like the system, but it does work for you if you do your homework on the entire process.

I have sought some advice from people that have gone through the process of fighting assessments. Some have even hired professionals that guarantee a reduction. For a large fee of course. You're right it takes a lot of time and effort. I have come to the conclusion though, from talks with co-workers, friends and family over many years that NY just isn't a friendly place to retire in so many ways. and I am bugging out after retirement. Going to live the easy life in another place so, it may be all a moot point as my property is discretely for sale. I have a few interested parties but nothing serious. It may get to where I have to advertise. In some strange ways while I wish the new buyers success and happiness, I can't help but feel sorry for what they might have to go through owning property here.

Last edited:
Back