New Truck?

How does the aluminum bed hold up hauling things without denting? I’m not hard on things but had to ask.
I wish I had taken a photo of a ford aluminum body truck I was following in Colorado. It had a dent in the tailgate with a hole punch through that you could put a 20 ounce pop through...it was the typical trailer wasn’t fully locked on the ball and they drove something up the trailer and the hitch popped up and it rolled into the tailgate. I have seen that dent many times and have actually done it on my last 2 trucks with just a dent that can actually be removed with PDR...I was amazed that this caused a hole that large!

I have an ‘08 F350 with a flat bed that I move my tractor and backhoe with. I had it deleted as soon as I got it at about 95,000 miles. I’ve had no engine problems at all, and really only had to replace the little doohickey on the end of the master cylinder that makes the cruise control work. The cab mounts are next to be replaced. It’s a plain truck with roll up windows, manual door locks, am/fm, etc. Just a work truck. After deletion I gained 85 hp and fuel mileage improved by 30%. As it’s a 6.4 I’ve heard the horror stories but I’ve also heard from several guys who said they had zero problems with theirs. It’s always in the back of my head, but seeing as how I only run about 5k to 7k miles a year in it, maybe it won’t blow up until I’m through with it. o_O

I wish I had taken a photo of a ford aluminum body truck I was following in Colorado. It had a dent in the tailgate with a hole punch through that you could put a 20 ounce pop through...it was the typical trailer wasn’t fully locked on the ball and they drove something up the trailer and the hitch popped up and it rolled into the tailgate. I have seen that dent many times and have actually done it on my last 2 trucks with just a dent that can actually be removed with PDR...I was amazed that this caused a hole that large!

I had a friend tell me he saw a hole in one but it was from a backhoe that backed into it running wide open.

MM...see my attached post for you.
I've been driving an aluminum truck since they came out, and we have multiple ford aluminum pickups on our construction crews. As far as dents, they look exactly like the steel bodies did at a comparable age with comparable use, although I usually order them with the factory sprayed on bedliner which I feel is a good value and adds to the strength. Some crews look like new at 200k and some look like they've been beaten with a sledgehammer. Honestly, over time we kindof forget that they are any different than the old ones. We bolt metal reading toolbox toppers (similar to the picture) on the bed of all the carpenters trucks, and the steel beds would sometimes tear down the outside 6 inches behind the cab where the first bolt was in the bed rail. We have not had this issue yet with aluminum, and we've got 200k on some. We switched the boxes to aluminum about the same time that the trucks were made in aluminum and that seems to be working. I was apprehensive about the aluminum when it came out but my fears were unfounded, and the rust protection is a nice bonus, but our trucks never rust out, they wear our. 6 years after we by a new truck it's like an orange peel with all the juice squeezed out, there's not much value there anymore. But those wornout trucks still sell like hotcakes. 6 years old, 275k miles, 4x4 crew diesel lariat, everybody wants one at 1/3 of new price, which is twice what they're worth.
20200513_205305.jpg

Last edited:
I've been driving an aluminum truck since they came out, and we have multiple ford aluminum pickups on our construction crews. As far as dents, they look exactly like the steel bodies did at a comparable age with comparable use, although I usually order them with the factory sprayed on bedliner which I feel is a good value and adds to the strength. Some crews look like new at 200k and some look like they've been beaten with a sledgehammer. Honestly, over time we kindof forget that they are any different than the old ones. We bolt metal reading toolbox toppers (similar to the picture) on the bed of all the carpenters trucks, and the steel beds would sometimes tear down the outside 6 inches behind the cab where the first bolt was in the bed rail. We have not had this issue yet with aluminum, and we've got 200k on some. We switched the boxes to aluminum about the same time that the trucks were made in aluminum and that seems to be working. I was apprehensive about the aluminum when it came out but my fears were unfounded, and the rust protection is a nice bonus, but our trucks never rust out, they wear our. 6 years after we by a new truck it's like an orange peel with all the juice squeezed out, there's not much value there anymore. But those wornout trucks still sell like hotcakes. 6 years old, 275k miles, 4x4 crew diesel lariat, everybody wants one at 1/3 of new price, which is twice what they're worth.
View attachment 18863

Thank you for a very informative post. I always do the spray bedliner also.

I want to thank everyone for keeping this a civil conversation even though I know they are some diehard brand people out there.

Thank you for a very informative post. I always do the spray bedliner also.

I want to thank everyone for keeping this a civil conversation even though I know they are some diehard brand people out there.
So right. I tried to make the post informative about Ford aluminum bodies, but I actually like all three makes of 1 ton trucks on the market right now, and have had all three on our crews, you won't go wrong with any one of them in a new truck. Who wouldn't want bighorn on top of the hood, and a Cummins under their hood? They are winning most of the truck pulls around here. And GM has always had the best radio and the coldest A/C, and with the Duramax/ Allison combination, they are a top contender. And I'd buy a 1 ton Toyota in a heartbeat based on their reliability in smaller stuff, if they would put together a good drivetrain.

Hole in tailgate was similar to this but it looked like the entire head of the hitch went in...

8d93a4ebf8bd3041bd93aa7b5cd8ed43.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I own a 2015 Ram 3500 diesel and it has been a great truck. I have friends with Chevys and Ford. They seem pretty good also. I think it boils down to maintenance most but not all the time. Diesel trucks are more expensive to purchase and operate. There is more maintenance also. What you get for this is great towing power.

Back