New Food Plotter Trying Poor Man Fall Plot

SIWhitetail

Hey guys... I'm trying a food plot for the first time this year. I've participated in planting a few in the past, but I wasn't super involved. So I have some questions...

First, here's the plot plan. It's a 1/3 acre plot in some bottoms land. Right now it has some thick native grass in it. Should get decent sun for a tucked away plot. 4 hours. I'm planning on planting Whitetail Institute's Secret Spot.

1. What should I spray to kill of the grass? Something I can get a Rural King is what I'm looking for.

2. I'd like to plant by Sept. 1, but could plant up until Sept 15. How long should I wait after spraying before clearing the dead vegetation and planting?

3. Is there anything else I should be considering? I know about PH levels and whatnot, but I don't have time to mess with it.

I had a thread I had just started on the qdma site about limited equipment food plotting before it shut down. I am interested to see how yours works.

I would get glyphosate to spray your grasses, give it two weeks to get into the roots, pick a day with rain in the forcast, spread your seed and fertilizer per your soil test, then immediately weed whack down the standing dead grass.
Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

As said above, use the "throw and mow" method. Spray with gly, wait until dead, and then broadcast seed, weed eat the dead stuff to cover the seed if possible.

Good advice given of spraying, fert, planting and mowing. I would suggest couple ideas. I would plant a WR or WW grain with your seed. Good cover crop and gives quick food that lasts well into hunting season, and will resprout next spring for early green up and possible turkey plot. In addition, if you wanted, you could do the grains, and instead of the WI, use a quick clover like red clover and mix in some oats and/or some brassica. Brassica seed is tiny and plants easly no till. If you can run over your plot with a ATV, the soil compaction on anything will help. Fert and ph can make a difference with success. Good luck.

You could but the grass could be a benifit, on the plot I just did, althought not extremely thick, I raked half to see and the difference was negligible.

Good advice given of spraying, fert, planting and mowing. I would suggest couple ideas. I would plant a WR or WW grain with your seed. Good cover crop and gives quick food that lasts well into hunting season, and will resprout next spring for early green up and possible turkey plot. In addition, if you wanted, you could do the grains, and instead of the WI, use a quick clover like red clover and mix in some oats and/or some brassica. Brassica seed is tiny and plants easly no till. If you can run over your plot with a ATV, the soil compaction on anything will help. Fert and ph can make a difference with success. Good luck.
This ^ ^... My advice/opinion would be to go with the Winter Rye and Red Clover. Pretty tough to beat in a new plot. It will grow regardless of the ph, but it would be wise to do a soil test so you know what you're working towards. Good luck!

Spray, mower/knock it down, throw seed. Winter rye and clover is what i plant on new plots.

keep us updated on how your Poor man plot turns out. It will work but best chance is if you can cut the thick grass after broadcasting the seed. If you can't get a mower in there in can sure be done with a weed whacker. Spray, wait two weeks, broadcast fertilizer and seed, weed whack the grass and then pray for rain. Might not make it on the cover of WI magazine but I promise you the deer won't mind.

todd

Back