New deer rifle caliber?

This threads making me want to go out an buy another tikka rifle!!! I had one in 25/06 that I sold. I regret selling as it shot lights out. Planned to replace with a stainless version and just never did. I need another tikka lol

This threads making me want to go out an buy another tikka rifle!!! I had one in 25/06 that I sold. I regret selling as it shot lights out. Planned to replace with a stainless version and just never did. I need another tikka lol

I walked into a Cabelas the other day and they sold me a new stainless Tikka 308 for $495 + tax. I don't understand why, because they are much more than that on the web site. Took it home, put a Burris 3x9 scope on it and tried 2 different factory ammos. With Hornady Superformance 150 SST, it printed 1/2 MOA at 100 yds. Shot it one time at 200 yds and would have hit a quarter. My Tikka 22-250 will do almost the same thing with Superformance. This is the first over the counter light rifle I've ever owned that will shoot like that. I've got others to do that with Handloads, but never with factory ammo.

A guy who posted on the old QD forum did the same thing with a 308 Sako Finlight and the same ammo I used. I don't remember his handle over there and don't know if he found his way here, but I do remember his groups he posted pics of.

Sako owns Tikka - that might mean something..................

Buy the .308 Win Savage and shoot the Remington reduced recoil ammo ...deadly ammo ...much better trackability of the deer over 243win as bullet very effective on exit ...will leave an interstate to follow ...plus you then have a gun capable for most all of North America and much longer ranges as the shooter matures

Bear

I walked into a Cabelas the other day and they sold me a new stainless Tikka 308 for $495 + tax. I don't understand why, because they are much more than that on the web site. Took it home, put a Burris 3x9 scope on it and tried 2 different factory ammos. With Hornady Superformance 150 SST, it printed 1/2 MOA at 100 yds. Shot it one time at 200 yds and would have hit a quarter. My Tikka 22-250 will do almost the same thing with Superformance. This is the first over the counter light rifle I've ever owned that will shoot like that. I've got others to do that with Handloads, but never with factory ammo.

A guy who posted on the old QD forum did the same thing with a 308 Sako Finlight and the same ammo I used. I don't remember his handle over there and don't know if he found his way here, but I do remember his groups he posted pics of.

Man I don't know how you pulled that one off for that price but I'm calling mine tomorrow and see if I can get one for that also.

SS tikka 308 with a Burris scope sounds like my kinda set up! Burris makes a great scope for the money! They seem to be a lil more crisp than my other budget blue collar scopes:)
I have had allot of luck with factory hornady ammo.
If you hand load try some Berger 155 lvd's with either ar comp or varget powder at book max. All my 308's like hot loads. Every time I have ever worked up a 308 load they tighten up the hotter they get! Maybe my shooting just gets sharper! Either way I like the idea of pushing a 155 at 2800fps in a short action:)

SS tikka 308 with a Burris scope sounds like my kinda set up! Burris makes a great scope for the money! They seem to be a lil more crisp than my other budget blue collar scopes:)
I have had allot of luck with factory hornady ammo.
If you hand load try some Berger 155 lvd's with either ar comp or varget powder at book max. All my 308's like hot loads. Every time I have ever worked up a 308 load they tighten up the hotter they get! Maybe my shooting just gets sharper! Either way I like the idea of pushing a 155 at 2800fps in a short action:)

Look
At the published ballistics for the Superformance. It adds 200 fps to a 150 grain taking it up to 3,000 fps in 308. Basically turns a 308 into a 30-06.

Man I don't know how you pulled that one off for that price but I'm calling mine tomorrow and see if I can get one for that also.

It could have been because it was the only one they had left - I don't know, and I sure didn't ask any questions................

They are having a sale on them right now ($100 off), but the numbers still don't add up.

Last edited:
I received an email from Cabelas that said the tikka's are $100 or $150 off right now. I've been shooting a Tikka 25-06 for over 10 years now. Sweet shooting gun

It could have been because it was the only one they had left - I don't know, and I sure didn't ask any questions................

They are having a sale on them right now ($100 off), but the numbers still don't add up.

I wouldn't have either. I would of just said thank you with a smile and walked out the door smiling all the way home.

Called and got quoted $579 plus tax for the new Tikka T3X which is the new model. Which was the $100 off. Not as good as NH but is still a good deal.

Called and got quoted $579 plus tax for the new Tikka T3X which is the new model. Which was the $100 off. Not as good as NH but is still a good deal.

Mine was the T3, the old model, (stainless with black synthetic stock). I'm not sure what they did different with the T3X. That still sounds like a good deal if a guy wants one.

It will be a bit before I buy as I want the daughter to shoot one or a couple first. I can't drop a couple hundred bucks on a gun she won't shoot - If she won't shoot it I'll buy me a 308 and be done with it. I personally think she can handle my 30-30 so a 243 should be a piece of cake, but if you have ever dealt with kids and shooting sometimes the biggest issue is between their ears. They equate the level of bang to the level of recoil and sometimes that simply isn't the case. I need to do some research into reduced loads for 308 as well. I'll keep the Tikka brand in mind as well. I'm more on a budget for basic package deals as we can only use this gun for 16 days a year.

I have a real bad habit of spending more than I should on guns. I typically buy entry level stuff that I know I'm going to beat the crap out of, or I buy real nice stuff. My last two purchased for me where a colt 1911 and a browning A-bolt .......I had access to a dealer that could get me factory direct prices and he simply added $50 for his trouble.......I bought $1,000 guns for nearly 1/2 the retail price. It's easy to step up to those sorts of guns when the cost doesn't sting so much.

Whatever and whenever I buy - I'll share with everyone here. thanks for all the suggestions.

My kid's gun is a .22 bolt that we use shorts and reduced noise loads in. I did this for the very reason you brought up with bang equating kick. They shoot it all the time with zero hesitation or flinching. Once they move up to larger guns they seem fine with the "bang" as they are very comfortable with guns in general.
You might consider a suppressor on one of your guns instead of a new gun. Might be worth a shot.?. I would like to go that route at the moment.

My kid's gun is a .22 bolt that we use shorts and reduced noise loads in. I did this for the very reason you brought up with bang equating kick. They shoot it all the time with zero hesitation or flinching. Once they move up to larger guns they seem fine with the "bang" as they are very comfortable with guns in general.
You might consider a suppressor on one of your guns instead of a new gun. Might be worth a shot.?. I would like to go that route at the moment.
Indiana doesn't allow suppressors for hunting. They all start shooting with my 22LR and they love it because it's a bull barrel and a heavy gun for a 22. However as they move up in size something say like my 22-250 with a muzzle break sounds like it should rip your arm off, yet it doesn't kick much at all. Since I'm limited to what she can use for deer I personally think she will be fine with say a 243 or even my 30-30 or a reduced load 308.....but over coming that "fear" on her part is a far bigger issue. She shoots my CVA wolf with a 230 gr bullet and 100 gr charge fine. So she can handle the recoil, but black powder doesn't have that sonic crack of the bullet and I have to get past that mental block. That mental block will lead to reduced range time, poor shooting form and flinching and then get poor results which then further discourage them. I'm dealing with a 12 year old female here......I'm an idiot and have no idea what I am doing and am in no way to be trusted......remember! I have 2 other, older daughters, and they all go thru this "phase". The 22-250 gives me an idea......I may have her shoot that - it's real loud and doesn't kick much. Maybe use that to prove my point.

With my kid I run foam ear plugs with muffs over the top of those. He handles 16" AR's just fine and they are LOUD!

I got 2 kids myself so I know all to well about the noise issue you talk of. What I find best to do is shoot the 22 shorts as practice and then when it comes time to hunt deer I switch to the 243 and they do just fine. They will never remember the noise or recoil when they shoot a deer. The only mistake I made with my daughter was let her shoot a 20 gauge at the first deer she shot at and the noise and recoil was to much plus she missed and it was a few years before I could talk her into going hunting again. Now she doesn't have any problem but she is 17 now and around 10 when she first tried. I didn't make that mistake again when I got my son hunting.

Back