New broadheads

alldaysit

I've been looking at switching to Grizzly screw in fixed 2 blade 150/175 broadheads. Does anyone on here shoot them? I've been using rage 2 blade hyperdermic and hit a rib dead center upon HORIZONTAL entry this year and did not have a pass through and the blood trail was not easy to follow. It did poke through the opposite side, and I found him, but after a few discussions with friends and internet reviews I've been contemplating switching heads. The rage did its job but I fear hitting the shoulder blade with the rage now more than ever. I figure by having a fixed blade setup with increased grains/penetration, that would alleviate some of my concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm afraid if you hit a deer in the shoulder with any broadhead, that recovery may be difficult at best.
Fixed blade heads have a better chance of penetration compared to an expandable that loses a lot of energy when it opens(because of cutting width). Fixed blades also seem to do better with lighter draw weights and those with shorter draw lengths. Heavy arrows can aid in penetration, but most bow hunters I know and talk to, want speed.

alldaysit, if you go to that heavy of a broadhead, make sure that your FOC isn't out of whack. You'll get better flight out of your arrow, instead of it nose diving right away. I like to stay in the 9-11% range, but with a heavier broadhead you could stay in the 10-15% range, but it's up to you. Figure the FOC of your current arrow and then use that as a reference for the new setup.

Fixed blade heads have a better chance of penetration compared to an expandable that loses a lot of energy when it opens(because of cutting width). Fixed blades also seem to do better with lighter draw weights and those with shorter draw lengths. Heavy arrows can aid in penetration, but most bow hunters I know and talk to, want speed.

alldaysit, if you go to that heavy of a broadhead, make sure that your FOC isn't out of whack. You'll get better flight out of your arrow, instead of it nose diving right away. I like to stay in the 9-11% range, but with a heavier broadhead you could stay in the 10-15% range, but it's up to you. Figure the FOC of your current arrow and then use that as a reference for the new setup.

Thank you DOC, but how does one calculate FOC? If I walk into my local archery shop and start asking, I'm going to get run out of town so to speak haha.

FOC stands for forward of center. You take the arrow just as it will be when you put it in the bow - same everything - nock, broad head, vanes/feathers and put it on a knife or thin edge of metal. You fine the balance point. The broad head creates more weight in the front end of the arrow.

Ask the archery shop help you determine the forward of center of your hunting arrow. They should be willing to help and they will be very eager if you are talking about selecting an appropriate broad head.

Wayne

I guess I will go against the grain a little and say I prefer a higher FOC and a heavier arrow by today's standards. At typical whitetail ranges, arrow drop will not be significant new the higher foc helps pull he head through the animal. I tend to stay between 450-500 grain arrow weight.

Bow tune, arrow weight, foc, broadhead type, point of impact, etc all play a part in killing performance.

Btaylor

I like your last sentence. I would add - a razor sharp broadhead that is well placed gets it done most every time.

I understand. I shoot year round, shoot league, 3D tournaments, etc. I'm just shaken up by this experience and looking to eliminate risks in the future.

I guess I have had a change of opinion after this experience. I no longer give a dang about speed, and now will be going the complete opposite direction. I want penetration guaranteed.... even in the real world where perfect arrow placement doesn't happen sometimes.

Looks like I will weigh my arrow tomorrow (hopefully) at the archery shop and see what we come up with for a weight with the current rage hyperdermic.

Spine of the arrow - stiffness - has a bearing on penetration too. A good archery shop can help you reach your goals.

The poundage of your bow will need a certain arrow spine to group well. Sounds like you are staying with your broadhead.

Good luck.

Wayne

I'm just shaken up by this experience and looking to eliminate risks in the future.

Switch to a fixed blade, whether it is 100gr or 125gr and leave the Rage alone. I have seen more people lose deer or not get the penetration they want with that one broadhead than any other brand/head. It could be sheer numbers of people using them, but I never heard about it as much with Muzzy(sold millions). I swear by any head(especially expandables) that NAP makes, because of no rubber/plastic rings or bands, but I started shooting fixed blades again about 2 years ago and haven't regretted it. The penetration is there because the arrow doesn't slow down as much, like when large blades open on impact. Do fixed blades slow down when they enter an animal? Sure they do, but there is less blade mass on a 1 1/4" fixed blade than there is a 2" or larger expandable head and you aren't using energy to open the blades. Choose any head you like, but I would suggest the RamCat(they have 2 different head designs) or the QAD Exodus.

I shot a deer with my longbow and a Grizzly broad head this year. Nothing to malfunction on a fixed blade.

I've killed many animals with Grizzly heads including several large African species. They are a solid head. That's said, I have a few I prefer more. Be ready to do some sharpening work on new Grizzlies as they don't come sharp...unless things have changed. Also, make sure that broadhead bevel and fletching are compatible (right with right and left with left).
As far as FOC (and arrow weight), more is better for penetration as long as arrow spine is appropriate. Of course you need to balance that somewhat to get a decent trajectory of your arrow.

I've been doing some research and came across the Solid Legend. Then I came across the Carbon Express F-15. I think the F-15 has everything I'm looking for, and it costs substantially less than the Solid heads, and I don't have to sharpen them like the grizzly!

I've been doing some research and came across the Solid Legend. Then I came across the Carbon Express F-15. I think the F-15 has everything I'm looking for, and it costs substantially less than the Solid heads, and I don't have to sharpen them like the grizzly!
Those may do you just fine, but they are not going to have the same effect on bone as a single bevel head. Being cut on contact and narrower, they will likely penetrate better than your old mechanicals, but still nothing like a single bevel when bone is encountered. If you want sharp out of the package single piece construction single bevels look at Cutthroat broadheads. Abowyer would be a close second. I have challenged these heads greatly,and believe that both are incredible heads that will get the job done.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Cutthroat 150's! Didn't even know they existed.

I've shot a lot of heads in 30+ years of bowhunting, and Cutthroats are as close to perfect as I have used. They have everything I could ask for in a head.
I killed 3 critters with the same head this season. Still good as new after a quick touch up.

I ordered the Cutthroat 150s and look forward to shooting them! Feels pretty dog gone good.

Back