New brassica plots.

Last weekend I tried my first brassica plots. These food plot trails are old logging roads. Last year I cleared them and put in the LC mix minus the peas. They did really well. I have three trails that converge into one spot. That's where I put one of my waterholes. Those three trails equal about a third of an acre. This year I worked on opening them up a bit more and letting more light in this year. After a soil test and amendments I went ahead and tried a brassica plot. We got rain for a day and a half that started while I was putting down the seed. We got 1.8 inches of rain this week and perfect temperature. It looks like I got great germination.
04106517ebe04977e760b39db742ce0e.jpg
031da539f557c0a5f512ada138a7a8c6.jpg
89b8ce5606a3aa6deccda98da14895f2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like a great plot coming on, that's going to be a strategic hunting spot where those trails come together. It looks like the brassica is seeded on the heavy side, but with fertilizer you put down it should work. I've just no tilled a brassica plot at the LC seeding rate and you can see it's a bit lighter than yours. The oats were just leftovers in the drill when I started.V__35E8.JPG

Last edited:
It was heavy. They gave me way more radish than I had asked for. I pointed it out to them but they said they always throw in a little extra for no charge. It started raining three hours earlier than predicted so I didn't measure it out like I planned since I was spreading in a downpour. I figure if it's thick it'll be a lesson learned. I really didn't expect so much germination and my soil is relatively poor so time will tell. It was pretty excitng seeing it this morning though.

Planting seed and watching a nice crop pop out of the ground is exciting. If your soil is poor you could consider thinning that stand with a disc or harrow, or spinning a little more lime and fertilizer on it.

Last weekend I tried my first brassica plots. These food plot trails are old logging roads. Last year I cleared them and put in the LC mix minus the peas. They did really well. I have three trails that converge into one spot. That's where I put one of my waterholes. Those three trails equal about a third of an acre. This year I worked on opening them up a bit more and letting more light in this year. After a soil test and amendments I went ahead and tried a brassica plot. We got rain for a day and a half that started while I was putting down the seed. We got 1.8 inches of rain this week and perfect temperature. It looks like I got great germination.
04106517ebe04977e760b39db742ce0e.jpg
031da539f557c0a5f512ada138a7a8c6.jpg
89b8ce5606a3aa6deccda98da14895f2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks great. Off to a good start.

I ended up cultipacking my turnips and radishes in a biblical downpour this year too! Sunshade on tractor made no difference, I was utterly soaked! Good news is, that was perfect timing for packing and germination.

Brassicas like sun, if it works out OK this year you might consider dropping some shading trees there next spring.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

Back