Need help with erosion control planting

Brian

This isn't really a food plot question, but I'm hoping to tap into some of the practical horticultural knowledge here.

I have a creek crossing that I would like to plant to slow down erosion. It's a tough location because it only gets a few hours of direct sunlight each day and the "soil" is almost pure sand. The crossing doesn't get much use so I don't really need something that will stand up to traffic, I just want to help stabilize the soil as much as I can so the crossing doesn't wash out so fast!

Any suggestions?

I used ryegrass in a similar situation. Fixed a leaky dam with sand then scattered ryegrass seed all over. Like you it only gets a little bit of sunlight per day. So far it's worked perfectly.

I used ryegrass in a similar situation. Fixed a leaky dam with sand then scattered ryegrass seed all over. Like you it only gets a little bit of sunlight per day. So far it's worked perfectly.

I thought about rye grass, but its just the wrong time to plant it this far south. I just finished getting the crossing back in shape after after it was totally wrecked in a flood event several months back and now I want to slow the erosion through the spring and summer.

Why not rip rap? It would be the most permanent fix.
Rip rap would be a permanent solution but a lot of work; I doubt I could get a truck within a half mile of the crossing and it would take forever to bring enough rock in a loader bucket at a time

Last edited:
Check out ernstseed.com
Their catalog is tremendous and shows a lot of planting options for erosion control.
They specialize in native species, too.

Brown top millet would be my suggestion.
As far south as you are it might reseed it's self
for a second stand in the same season.

Back