My Little Slice of Paradise

Luke...Just finished catching up on your thread. Great season, great buck and great thread! Couldn't help but noticing the Cutco steak knife in post 119. Had a Cutco gal in our home about a year ago "working her way thru school" and couldn't help but help her out with a purchase. Now proud owner of a few of those. KY may be the best kept secret in the whitetail world. More and more guys down here are finding their way to KY to hunt each year.

Yep we got a set of cutco knives as a wedding present and we love them. My wife is hard on knives so the lifetime guarantee is nice. We send ours back about once a year for sharpening. I also got the cutco hunting knife with gut hook. It has been a great knife.

KY is indeed a great state for deer. I had a fellow from Iowa stop by my office this week. We started talking hunting and of course sharing stories. The deer they have in southern Iowa are unreal. As in most things, just when you think you've got it good, there always seem to be greener pastures elsewhere. I wouldn't trade our KY place though. It has a special place in my heart at this point and I couldn't stand to think I wouldn't be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor there in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We made it up to the farm last weekend and were blessed with beautiful weather. My pear trees came in from The Wildlife Group at the exact time they promised, so first on the list was planting the 10 trees. I split them up between 3 plots (4,3,&3). I used the 5' tubex combitubes, with pvc stakes and weed mats that I bought from Treeprotectionsupply.com. We soaked the roots in water for 5-10 minutes prior to planting, which required us to break ice in the pond. Once we got them in the ground, we watered them in thoroughly to eliminate any air pockets. We also got two solid rains up there the day after we left, so I'm optimistic the trees are off to a great start. I was mostly negligent in my documentation duties but did manage to take one picture after we'd planted the first 4 trees in our standing bean field.
40e7aa365b3de653ddfe3ba4e318d101.jpg

One thing worthy of note is the amount of beans still present in the bean field was very impressive. We planted ag beans this year instead of eagle beans, and although they mostly didn't get as tall as the eagle beans usually do, they put on lots more pods. At this time last winter, the eagle beans had all been consumed. I'm confident the beans this year will still be available into spring green up. I'm optimistic that I'll have some luck shed hunting around that field next month.

You can see three other tubes in the distance on the left side of the picture... those are the chestnut seedlings WBPdeer hooked me up with last year. They all ended up 3-4' tall in their first year of growth and seem to be doing great.

We spent the rest of Saturday with chainsaws in hand and we cut about 1/4 mile worth of an access trail along our north property line. This will allow us easier access to the north perimeter of our property without disturbing the core areas of the property. We plan to have many more options this year to hunt with winds from the south, and this access trail accomplishes that. Not to mention it will make deer recovery much easier!

Last thing on the list for Saturday was to retrieve all our cameras and see what kind of deer we have still on the property. We had a few cameras to retrieve:
223a90c9da50758809924c6d28898b80.jpg

Not a whole lot of new deer on camera but we did have a busted up deer move into the back part of the farm, I suspect due to the neighbors killing Brutus, one of the 6.5 yr old bucks whose core area included that part of the farm. Here is the new buck, which I expect to be near the top of the hit list next year:
aeb6e31eeaed781501c852e1a199a3f4.jpg

Our final project for Sunday was to trim shooting lanes at a number of stand sites. By the time we left on Sunday, we had trees picked out and shooting lanes cut at 7 different locations. I'm confident at least one of those locations is going to pay off this fall.

Thanks for reading along! More projects coming soon...

That's a great work weekend you and your buddy got done Luke. It sounds like about a weeks worth of projects. And you are 100% right;there will always be greener pastures out there when looking from a distance at anything. And it just plain old doesn't matter.

You've got one of the greatest hunting properties on the planet or it will be with your improvements. The property improvement projects, hunting and even non-hunting times you will share with your family and friends as well as the love that you have for your property and its plants and animals that cultivates more with each experience there is 100% what really matters. The super hunting you will enjoy through the years there will be just icing on what already is one hell of a cake!

I'm finally getting a little bit of free time to update folks on my most recent trip to the farm. Me, my buddy Jonathan, and my lab Lucy went up to the farm on Feb. 25th for a little shed hunting and habitat work. My neighbors were telling me that most of the older deer were still holding their antlers, but I knew it would likely be the only chance I was going to get to go shed hunting before things green up. We walked 4.5 miles and found 2 small sheds from this year and one from last year that had gotten chopped just below the brow tine this winter by the bush hog. Lucy wasn't much help in the shed-finding department, but that's my fault because we had been walking for over an hour before we really got into the areas where I was expecting to find sheds. If I want her to help me find them, I need to take her to the hot spots right off the bat while she still has energy. Lucy did smell a dead opossum from about 100 yards away, and led me right down to it not long after we started shed hunting. The shed hunting results:
4bdef3454c73de8207c1cfa6aad7ac17.jpg

98b58500b0ce2b6728550273abb45f2a.jpg

We spent the rest of the afternoon frost seeding all of my food plots with clover, and establishing a few hinge-cut bedding areas. I realize today that it has been almost a year since Steve Bartylla did our property plan. The progress with implementing the plan has seemed slow at times, but when I look back at what all I have accomplished, and in how little time it actually has taken, I'm very pleased. We had our best season ever from a deer sighting and opportunity standpoint last fall. Furthermore, the habitat projects we have done already will have lasting effects for years to come. Once again, I failed to take enough pics to truly document what we accomplished on the last trip, but here are a few:
Log yard:
fa0d860e2826ebd977f562138d2d31da.jpg

New hinge cut bedding area:
395dfb1a0907550c668df8207ca4d5b8.jpg

Thanks for reading along!

Looks like you got a good start this year. Pictures of hinge cuts never do them justice but those of us that do them can see it right away. I just did a bunch myself. Looking forward to seeing your progress this year.

Another update... finally!
I've been to the farm twice since our shed hunting trip in February but haven't taken the time to document my trips until now. My first trip in April was the second weekend of turkey season, and I had high hopes given that my uncle had tagged out there with two birds on opening weekend and a dandy shed from a buck we call massive 10. He will be 4.5 this fall:
e7ba076fcd1680bd13d7980dd17ee169.jpg

Alas, the weather didn't cooperate the first weekend I was up there as it rained almost the whole time. Two of the 3 mornings I hunted there were no gobbles from the roost due to rain showers at first light. I saw 2 toms on the power line the first morning and had them responding to calls but they shut up when another rain shower passed through and I opted to shoot a coyote that crept into my setup a little while later. My LC mix plots looked great and the crimson clover was growing strong in the cereal grain portions of the plots
d247c6d907198b5c2e2fc5f8851f7e18.jpg

The weekend came to a close with very little turkey activity but we got a lot done cleaning out the barn and getting our equipment ready for food plot season

The second weekend of turkey hunting at the farm started slightly better as I got to work some birds that were gobbling from the roost about 100 yards across the property line. Unfortunately, they had other plans so I ended up covering 8+ miles that day trying to strike a bird. Unfortunately, I didn't hear a gobble the rest of the day. I did get to check on my plots and the pears I planted this spring. I was very happy to see quality growth everywhere I looked!
96e477f50b51b854d271930367f650b4.jpg

e25a0e27d8fb104fdd38e39b9958cee4.jpg

7c8a41ba102484c562ef5fc444424496.jpg

The last morning of the season dawned clear and crisp at 42 degrees. I started out at dawn at the power line while my buddy Jonathan started near the front of the farm. All told, I believe we covered at least two square miles where we would have heard a bird gobble... but there were none to be heard! Nevertheless, it was a gorgeous morning to be in the woods and I used the opportunity to pick up some garbage that had accumulated along one of our atv trails. Also found another shed in a spot I'm certain I would have spotted it in February had it been there at the time. My bag from the weekend:
04e7c0ccfe354cc1534869a728d9cced.jpg

Your property looks good and fertile Luke. The high and low spots in the high tension line are just awesome. It looks like it may be inviting to the big old boys for some daylight crossing.

Your property looks good and fertile Luke. The high and low spots in the high tension line are just awesome. It looks like it may be inviting to the big old boys for some daylight crossing.

I was happy to see everything looking so lush. Funny that you mention bucks crossing the power line... I've seen bucks cross in all sorts of locations from the brushy low spots to the wide open tops. If I had to pin my season on watching a single crossing I would have to go with a small secondary ridge that is about halfway up from the ridge top from an elevation standpoint. I've seen more 3.5+ bucks cross there than other spots but I've also seen a 7.5 yr old cross the very top in a wide open food plot. The good thing about rifle season is that if you're paying attention you can usually get on them before they make it across, no matter where that crossing might be!

Spring Planting
My only planting project this spring was my 5 acre soybean field. We got the seed in the ground this year on June 1st. This was my first year trying no-till and I'm very pleased with the results. I actually had weed germination two days after planting just from the residual moisture in the soil. We sprayed glyphosate 10 days prior to planting, and here is what the field looked like 2 days after planting:
d45c489bdeb0afdd712c7faca41794a5.jpg

Germination:
7b1752389e60c10ccaf1f8c3a57db742.jpg

My planting rig was a 10' JD seed drill rented from my local department of agriculture office at a rate of $8/acre. Such a great deal that I'm going to have a hard time justifying buying my own drill in the future!
8b642dc78b882bba79ccc02d852345f5.jpg

I opted to go with Ag beans again this year. I got a deal through a farmer friend of mine, so only paid $43/bag for what I've been told is some of the best soybean crop genetics that money can buy. I planted 7 bags over 5 acres in an effort to combat overgrazing. I'll update you as to how well that works.
Lesson learned: weed ID
This is a picture of marestail, which I've learned is a weed not controlled by roundup. Unfortunately, my crop was already in the ground before I did the necessary research to figure out why I still had some weed patches in my field. Next year I will have to spray something different prior to planting to ensure I have eliminated the marestail. 2,4-d is supposed to work for that
602acf71a861ea12b2b71ead34fb55fc.jpg

3 chestnuts in the foreground courtesy of Wayne Pruett and 4 pears from wildlife group in background:
2752b5d72e56cf2467b63b2b8af6c95c.jpg

We did some rearranging of tree stands this summer but still have a few more we need to set prior to season. I think we've finally found the "killing tree" on our bean field so I'm anxious to try it out this September. Trail cameras will be set out over mineral licks in July and I can't wait to see some big velvet antlers!!!

Next project is post-emergent spraying of the beans, trail camera placement, bushhog of fall plots. Fall planting for my place will be Aug 5th for LC mix. I just hope the weather cooperates. My plan is to rent the no-till drill for most of the fall plots; I'm optimistic that it will save me significant time over discing.

My most important project as of late is of course raising this cute little girl to enjoy the great outdoors with her dad. So far, so good!
f65ea0d6f2337d33a09701851dd8fae8.jpg

97d6eab1ad6344fc2603736855704c68.jpg

Looking good. Brassica portion Aug 5? I think that would be about right, probably a bit early for the grains portion in KY, though.

Looking good. Brassica portion Aug 5? I think that would be about right, probably a bit early for the grains portion in KY, though.

Yeah given my time constraints this year I'm going to plant it all at the same time. I did July 15 and august 25ish last year and it was about right for both types but I exhausted all my kitchen passes before the season started. This year I'm going to split the difference and see if I get lucky. I figure I always have the option of broadcasting additional cereal grains in September after the season starts.

If you don't have many mares tail pull them when you can so they don't head out.You may have luck with 24D if they haven't been sprayed before but alot of guys around here are using I believe it's called interlock which is a generic for liberty link beans.Between marestail and pigweed I have cut my RU use in half.Only good thing about pigweed is the deer love it

If you don't have many mares tail pull them when you can so they don't head out.You may have luck with 24D if they haven't been sprayed before but alot of guys around here are using I believe it's called interlock which is a generic for liberty link beans.Between marestail and pigweed I have cut my RU use in half.Only good thing about pigweed is the deer love it

Yes I spent a good bit of time pulling up all the marestail I could find but I'm sure I missed some. Next spring I plan to mix roundup and 2,4d for my pre emergent spray. That should take care of most everything.

I went up yesterday to put out trail cameras and do my post emergence gly treatment on my beans. It had been 4 weeks since planting, 6 weeks since initial spraying.
c74e29a680330e43d246f3c831290651.jpg

As you can see, plenty of weed competition. Mostly foxtail, cockleburr, and still some marestail. I think my timing was pretty good though because the beans are only a few weeks away from canopying so as the weeds burn down the beans should shade out any new competition.
I got 5 cameras placed on salt licks in my normal locations across the farm. About 3-4 weeks from now, expect some velvet pics! I can't wait!
I've been waiting until the wild blackberries ripen to take my wife and daughter to the farm to do some picking. It won't be long now!
079f05032a47a1d5991af23b8847f95e.jpg

Checked a couple cameras today. Nothing huge but some promising prospects! Oddly enough, I don't recognize any of these deer yet except maybe one.
This might be a deer we called Texas last year because he was very wide. Time will tell once he develops a little more.
1f08c328864303a68a5bfaaed49afa89.jpg

Other prospects:
04e15f718c19380c2a1efabdb332c9dc.jpg

58a7f9603a70559b5cf0307e006c14eb.jpg

77a23d3948041f44574520e217188c96.jpg

6720c0006743edef4d6dc70628b39ec3.jpg

Doe with triplets (pretty rare for my farm):
b32f5bc1ff0b233060a7ad90ba8338d9.jpg

Back