My chestnut trees.....what's left of them

Cap'n

c5f9ee505b3167c5bca2f9abad903651.jpg
b9acc315b336015009512c6b817ec2af.jpg
38a4e2e65a5ab1c8e9838cb34a466943.jpg
4071e447a2307e17e9975139125ebcc2.jpg

I started out with 22 from the chestnuts Wayne sent me but I came home one day and the squirrels had found them. It was a bit of a surprise since I had had 14 bur Oak that I had direct seeded and then potted sitting out for a month and a half and nothing had touched them. Then all in one day they got 10 chestnut trees several English Oak , bur Oak and post Oak. Made me sick. So I put the, in a wire cage and cover the rest with gutter guards by leaning them against the fence. No problem since then. Fixing to move them to bigger pots until I plant them this fall/winter. The ones that made it are doing pretty well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't sweat it those look great and you will be able to get more chestnuts this year if you want.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That really sucks... Did they still have the nuts attached to them? Some of mine have outgrown the cage and have been ok with squirrels all around. Wayne told me to pinch the nuts off a few weeks ago and so far so good. Right now my problem is jap beetles. They have reached plague status here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I potted some sawtooth and put mine in a cage right from the start to prevent this. To get them started I used a large dog wire kennel sort of set up. I also was told that once the tree was large enough you could remove the remaining nut from the tree to reduce the chance of critters trying to steal/damage them for the nut.
june 3 porch sawtooths.jpg
Looks like what you have remaining are doing well.....good luck with them.

Neahawg- thanks I appreciate it. I'll definitely do it again.
Golden Triangle- yes they still had the nut attached. I took some off but with others I didnt. I saw that post and did a few but at that point I had all of them protected. Live and learn.
J-bird-thats a good sized cage, i"ll keep my eye peeled for one of those. I have some old window screens from when we replaced our window and I'm going to frame up a cage out of that that will allow them to get 2-3 ft tall. Those sawtooth are looking good. I have located several not far from my house and will try to start some of those next year.

Neahawg- thanks I appreciate it. I'll definitely do it again.
Golden Triangle- yes they still had the nut attached. I took some off but with others I didnt. I saw that post and did a few but at that point I had all of them protected. Live and learn.
J-bird-thats a good sized cage, i"ll keep my eye peeled for one of those. I have some old window screens from when we replaced our window and I'm going to frame up a cage out of that that will allow them to get 2-3 ft tall. Those sawtooth are looking good. I have located several not far from my house and will try to start some of those next year.
Sawtooth grow great from acorns in pots. I had nearly 100% success that way as well as direct seeded in suitable areas. The cage I used we just had around and it's wire is not spaced enough to keep out chipmunks, but it is for squirrels. I considered wrapping it in chicken wire. A "grow cage" is almost a must for anyone wanting to grow nut trees outside.

Always remove the nut once they get six inches tall or so. That's what the squirrels are after.

Jbird, that is identical setup I have my chestnuts in now and it has worked great. Only problem is they are about to outgrow the kennel. What is bizarre is the jap beetles do not bother the ones in the kennel like the one that are outside of it or even sitting on top. Seems odd, but there is a definite difference in chewed leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cap'n

I am impressed with the health of the chestnut seedlings shown in your photo. I hate the nose of squirrels - they smell to dang good for us. I got hit the first year I grew seedlings. I leave about 10 seedlings with a nut attached and the squirrels killed two great seedlings I had sunning under the edge of a pine tree.

I now own three cages and you just can't afford the critters hitting you. Obviously you have learned how to grow a seedlings.

Next year you will have better luck. Thanks for posting the photos.

Wayne

Oh by the way - I wish I had those waxed cardboard containers. A screw driver puts a hole where you need one.

Wayne

Back