Mowing Oats

If you have broad leaf weeds in there, that you want to take care of, go ahead and mow if it's not too hot and dry. Otherwise, if this is a clover crop you plan to keep, just leave it alone. Some deer and critters will eat the oat seeds and the oats will continue to act like a cover crop and let the clover grow.

The oat stalks will be trampled or fall over on their own and become organic matter at some point.

Letting the clover grow and go to seed, will pay dividends later on. Some people like to mow clover and have fresh new tender grow, which does attract deer. It's a 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of another kind of thing.

If you mow and your plot has grass in it, it will sometimes let the grass over take the clover. If you've got a good thick stand of clover now, it will keep the grasses and weeds at bay.

I agree with Farmerd. For a food plot I'd save the fuel and let it stand. I have an identical plot which I'm letting stand for wildlife. I hit it with my ATV sprayer, 8 Oz. of clethodim to clean up a few weeds, which is still faster and cheaper than mowing with a 70 hp tractor, and the grain is available longer for wildlife.

Last edited:
I had some oats that survived the winter strangely enough...I'm in Maine. They grew nicely and have now turned golden. Question is...when should I mow them? I think I've heard that I should do that at some point. I have nice clover growing amongst it as well. Thanks in advance
Here is the result of ripe oats that I didn't mow. That's a nice soybean field in the background. You can see what the deer prefer. Allen.V__BA5C (2).jpg

Back