Moisture tolerant food plots

pinetag

So if any of you have checked out my property tour thread you know that much of my property is low lying and there are even some small pockets of designated wetlands. There is not really any standing water other than a few low depressions and the soil saturation is minimal, but I would like to put in some micro food plots that will tolerate excess moisture at certain times of the year. I am planning for this fall and was thinking about going with WW and WR and then maybe frost seed some crimson clover next spring to hopefully keep a year round food source. Will these tolerate moisture well enough to have a successful plot? Can i just keep this rotation going in the future? Is there anything else that would draw deer in that will tolerate the moisture and if so what time of year is best for seeding?

It may just be my imagination but from what I see wheat is more moisture tolerant than rye and I plant both.Crimson handles moisture well also. All of the above should be successful and you should be able to repeat for years to come. The pundits in your neighborhood can respond to planting time.

I did some online searching and it looks like Alsike clover does well in moisture rich environments and evidently brassicas do too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've got the same kind of land, not swamp, but low and takes a little longer to dry out. Flat as a pancake.

One thing I'm trying right now is winter rye. Dry-area farmers will kill it off early to try to stave off consumption of water as it matures in spring. I'm hoping if I let it set a seed head, it'll use up a bunch of that water. I had some come back from the previous fall this past spring, so I think it can survive the spring wet. This past fall, I finally got a good kill on the weeds, proper liming and fertility, and a solid stand of rye established.

Now if this damn winter would get on down the road, we could see how it turns out.

I’m a big fan of joint vetch. Been growing it for many years. Deer love it .attractive till frost. Can withstand heavy grazing. Highly nutritious. One of my favorite cultivars. Can also be combined with alyce clover which has similar growth characteristics.

In the Deep South it can become a reseeding annual. Doubtful in va but possible if it goes to seed

Half the fun of owning your own property is experimenting with different food plot seed combinations. 99.5% of my property floods at one or more times most years from either flash floods of the small river I border or from the Mississippi River backing up onto me(3 times last year).

Alsike, Kura, Ladino, and Durana White are all mentioned as clovers that tolerate wetter soils. I’ve used Ladino successfully either frost seeded or sowed in the fall with an Oats cover crop.

I love Aeschynomene it is easy to grow and lasts until a frost. It grows great for me, I got a 50lb bag that I am planting in different food plots this year. The deer love it and it grows great in moist areas. The first year I grew it the deer left it alone until the fall but now they know what it is they hit it hard but it keeps up fine. I also mix it with alyce clover a lot.

Back