Mini-Excavator

Getting ready to purchase a mini. Wondered how many others may use one on their property and preferred size and brands? I've pretty much settled on a 4-ton model. Have looked at Kubota KX040-4 and Bobcat E42. Planning to check out CAT and maybe Deere as well. That pretty much covers the dealer and service network in my area. Opinions welcome. Thanks.

I have access to two on my hunting property and they are quite handy. Not sure exactly which size or model, but I can find out for you. They are both kubota mini excavators.

I have a mower attachment for one that is great for mowing ditches and other areas that bush hogs can't reach. The bucket is great for digging and moving trees. I don't use it as often as I could, but that's usually just because I have a million other things to do.

Thanks for the comments. I see more Cat and Bobcat in my area, but I was impressed by the Kubota I looked at. Fit and finish look really nice...not that it means everything, but perhaps a reflection of the total build quality. We seem to have a lot of Kubota tractors here in Mid-Michigan, but not so many of their excavators.

Looking forward to getting one for the summer. My tract is almost 400 acres, with a lot of wet areas. Lots of ditch digging and/or dredging, road building, logging, etc. I'm sure after I get one, I'll wonder how I ever got along without it.

Thanks for the comments. I see more Cat and Bobcat in my area, but I was impressed by the Kubota I looked at. Fit and finish look really nice...not that it means everything, but perhaps a reflection of the total build quality. We seem to have a lot of Kubota tractors here in Mid-Michigan, but not so many of their excavators.

Looking forward to getting one for the summer. My tract is almost 400 acres, with a lot of wet areas. Lots of ditch digging and/or dredging, road building, logging, etc. I'm sure after I get one, I'll wonder how I ever got along without it.

After buying my place back in 2011, my cousin, who has owned his own land for many years, told me the most useful piece of equipment on his farm was his excavator. My son and I went in halvers on a used CAT 305 a few years ago. He uses it daily in his biz along with anything we need done at the farm. You'll be surprised at how much you will use it on your land. Makes short work of removing stumps, clearing openings, water holes and such. Stripping limbs from trees along firebreaks and interior roads is another handy task. Down here...cut a sweet gum and you'll have a dozen sprouts shoot up from the stumps and roots that will overtake the area within a couple of years. Mini-ex makes short work of getting rid of the stumps and roots when we've expanded our food plots.

After buying my place back in 2011, my cousin, who has owned his own land for many years, told me the most useful piece of equipment on his farm was his excavator. My son and I went in halvers on a used CAT 305 a few years ago. He uses it daily in his biz along with anything we need done at the farm. You'll be surprised at how much you will use it on your land. Makes short work of removing stumps, clearing openings, water holes and such. Stripping limbs from trees along firebreaks and interior roads is another handy task. Down here...cut a sweet gum and you'll have a dozen sprouts shoot up from the stumps and roots that will overtake the area within a couple of years. Mini-ex makes short work of getting rid of the stumps and roots when we've expanded our food plots.
I agree that mini's are versatile but IMO the most useful piece of equipment for a hunting farm if I were limited to just one machine is a track skidloader. Clearing land, leveling fields, making and maintaining trails, digging stumps, using as a lift for building stands, unloading fertilizer, making water holes and drainage ditches make this toy one the most valuable assets a hobby farmer can buy. This is if you have a big tract but smaller plots that you plant with an ATV. if you have a lot of tillable acres an ag tractor with a loader might be the better option. I know I'm off topic here, just my five cents

All four brands are reputable. How is dealer service reputation and distance? Sounds like you are looking at new machines so financing may be a factor. Option it up. A thumb and aux hydraulic will eventually be wanted.

If you don't have a trailer, travel speed may matter depending on the size of your farm.

All four brands are reputable. How is dealer service reputation and distance? Sounds like you are looking at new machines so financing may be a factor. Option it up. A thumb and aux hydraulic will eventually be wanted.

If you don't have a trailer, travel speed may matter depending on the size of your farm.

Bobcat, Kubota, Cat, and Deere all have good service in my area, so that isn't really a concern. Actually all three dealers are within 4 or 5 miles of each other. All have mobile service available as well. Pretty much have eliminated Deere from the equation. The Deere model in my size class is physically bigger (wider) than I want, and under-powered compared to the competition. So far Kubota has the best price, and Kubota and Bobcat both have 60 month/0% available in lieu of a couple thousand dollar cash discount. Haven't gotten a Cat quote yet, but they don't have the 0% available and I suspect from all I've talked to that they will be the most expensive of the 3. Travel speed is a good point. My property is large with several miles of road and trails, most that would be inaccessible by trailer.

Getting ready to purchase a mini. Wondered how many others may use one on their property and preferred size and brands? I've pretty much settled on a 4-ton model. Have looked at Kubota KX040-4 and Bobcat E42. Planning to check out CAT and maybe Deere as well. That pretty much covers the dealer and service network in my area. Opinions welcome. Thanks.

Lots of Cat and Bobcat excavators here in Michigan like you said. Bobcats have Kubota engines in them.

I've used just about every " Name brand " Excavator made and they are all decently reliable. I'm not a huge fan of New Hollands construction equipment line.

Cat, Bobcat, Kubota all have good Customer support in Mid - Michigan.

Good Luck !!!

Lots of Cat and Bobcat excavators here in Michigan like you said. Bobcats have Kubota engines in them.

I've used just about every " Name brand " Excavator made and they are all decently reliable. I'm not a huge fan of New Hollands construction equipment line.

Good Luck !!!
Thanks....actually told the E42 Bobcat I'm looking at has a Doosan engine. My Bobcat dealer has been most helpful. Dropping off a new E42 demo at my property 9:30 in the morning. . May have comments to report soon.

Thanks....actually told the E42 Bobcat I'm looking at has a Doosan engine. My Bobcat dealer has been most helpful. Dropping off a new E42 demo at my property 9:30 in the morning. . May have comments to report soon.

Yup, Bobcat has used a few different engines over the years. At one point they used Perkins engines in their bigger skidsters.

Doosan engines are good too.

Carlton equipment

Good Luck !!!
i
Yup, Bobcat has used a few different engines over the years. At one point they used Perkins engines in their bigger skidsters.

Doosan engines are good too.

Have you checked with Carleton equipment " North " of Birch Run?

Lots of Bobcats...

Carlton equipment

i

Have you checked with Carleton equipment " North " of Birch Run?

Lots of Bobcats...
Yep...as a matter of fact, today they dropped off a new E42 at my hunting property so I can demo it for a few days. Roger at Carleton has been great....VERY helpful. Had a fun day at the property...first real time on an excavator...lots of fun, but pretty ugly. It's harder than it looks.

I've tested a few out. It's my next piece of equipment I'll be purchasing!!! Can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back