Mature deer pics from small properties

pinetag

Just curious to see some success/game cam pics from those of you with smaller properties (under 50 acres). Wanting to know the possibilities of what I can look forward to when i get my own slice of heaven. Feel free to post up which state they are from as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

07730c28fcb54caadc75201a06104d7d.jpg
3507f3eb645e1cd19c40bba6574c52a4.jpg
c29532a9d8d9b499cb8b6202d6f043cc.jpg
de8da68a34ef90edde1c62d97eb95ca9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing to understand, when working with smaller properties, is that your success or failure is harder to control. You have less ability to meet all of a deer's needs and the impact of others around you is greater than it is when you're working with a larger piece of ground. With that said, I have found that being successful (harvesting deer) on smaller properties can be fairly easy, if you set aside notions of huge bucks and focus more on not disturbing the ground you have available to hunt. While it is true with all property sizes, how you hunt small acreage pieces is crucial! Understanding dead zones and depth of cover, both on and off your land, is also very important.

My family and I hunt four small properties in Michigan of 25 acres or less. Three of these have been improved with food plots and tree plantings/cuttings, while the fourth is swamp ground where we just clear shooting lanes and do a limited amount of hinge-cutting. They have all produced deer, under varying conditions. I know you were hoping to see pictures of big bucks taken on small properties, and that certainly does happen. When you make your land better, it attracts more deer, particularly doe groups. During the rut, bucks come looking for those does, and therein lays your opportunity. However, that same buck is going to cover a lot of ground, not just your place...which means others will also have a good chance of shooting him.

Keep your expectations in line with your means and acreage, and you'll be happy with the outcome. Don't pass on good deer, hoping for great ones, because on smaller holdings, that's a recipe for frustration. Attached is an 8pt buck I shot from a 10-acre property this year. While his rack isn't massive, his body sure was and I'm just tickled to death with him! :) He was "seeking" around the food plot you can see in the background.

hAPLH1tfLiWQ-g46A8l5uwHdXIzkv9LFxeRmTbrKbgCGWUWmyQcOJEDBf5u-JuQ-fSHYtFtVSQlPid2t0P5qwZZMcPlibqh5aE93qVUtgJyr57rOmNeCywYeCLeTexrrMoT7nEBRVPgZxlwJ84OgZzPHe3Lo6LB0bfGuQert59MtnAYiI_zfk5i5UFGf-Xu_kDYdKzWzzfzQbb91CiZWTcVgvGzuK1NNWH04jcKiZOuMr3Yb-O984TsdXPPIRziX2USTP3b1zKjmqWX_utK3UZx1Yva2z8aRrmY6GAzxR_D2kCBGeNR6VqHNC-73vtvGoEiLT9sKBF-HT2qlcpJkjtiOvPXF1-1tTUqilYlchVtF2jKRWAFIcnrskTxM18rK2kt7wJVxwdqhJpzkZDFfQW2jHQu_utNul_zK4XQ8FgRNn27rpplHIRca49SvdfGlJ2w0pMnkLkU4gDHr1wrBBIHJ7TiRwdoECJ4F8hdatuD1lLGxrWv9-yW82L7I5qtCo9bCCxozXzu8EcGc-Qof4Jj5ZiozMSNUEtPU-H5Og7H9AlVVy1_MC7N0YSOSRmKwP_7m_RsjEEjRyE_Xmin7QF_GgdljZPQSd9mnjru5yOqu1k8Q=w578-h770-no

Last edited:
The thing to understand, when working with smaller properties, is that your success or failure is harder to control. You have less ability to meet all of a deer's needs and the impact of others around you is greater than it is when you're working with a larger piece of ground. With that said, I have found that being successful (harvesting deer) on smaller properties can be fairly easy, if you set aside notions of huge bucks and focus more on not disturbing the ground you have available to hunt. While it is true with all property sizes, how you hunt small acreage pieces is crucial! Understanding dead zones and depth of cover, both on and off your land, is also very important.

My family and I hunt four small properties in Michigan of 25 acres or less. Three of these have been improved with food plots and tree plantings/cuttings, while the fourth is swamp ground where we just clear shooting lanes and do a limited amount of hinge-cutting. They have all produced deer, under varying conditions. I know you were hoping to see pictures of big bucks taken on small properties, and that certainly does happen. When you make your land better, it attracts more deer, particularly doe groups. During the rut, bucks come looking for those does, and therein lays your opportunity. However, that same buck is going to cover a lot of ground, not just your place...which means others will also have a good chance of shooting him.

Keep your expectations in line with your means and acreage, and you'll be happy with the outcome. Don't pass on good deer, hoping for great ones, because on smaller holdings, that's a recipe for frustration. Attached is an 8pt buck I shot from a 10-acre property this year. While his rack isn't massive, his body sure was and I'm just tickled to death with him! :) He was "seeking" around the food plot you can see in the background.

hAPLH1tfLiWQ-g46A8l5uwHdXIzkv9LFxeRmTbrKbgCGWUWmyQcOJEDBf5u-JuQ-fSHYtFtVSQlPid2t0P5qwZZMcPlibqh5aE93qVUtgJyr57rOmNeCywYeCLeTexrrMoT7nEBRVPgZxlwJ84OgZzPHe3Lo6LB0bfGuQert59MtnAYiI_zfk5i5UFGf-Xu_kDYdKzWzzfzQbb91CiZWTcVgvGzuK1NNWH04jcKiZOuMr3Yb-O984TsdXPPIRziX2USTP3b1zKjmqWX_utK3UZx1Yva2z8aRrmY6GAzxR_D2kCBGeNR6VqHNC-73vtvGoEiLT9sKBF-HT2qlcpJkjtiOvPXF1-1tTUqilYlchVtF2jKRWAFIcnrskTxM18rK2kt7wJVxwdqhJpzkZDFfQW2jHQu_utNul_zK4XQ8FgRNn27rpplHIRca49SvdfGlJ2w0pMnkLkU4gDHr1wrBBIHJ7TiRwdoECJ4F8hdatuD1lLGxrWv9-yW82L7I5qtCo9bCCxozXzu8EcGc-Qof4Jj5ZiozMSNUEtPU-H5Og7H9AlVVy1_MC7N0YSOSRmKwP_7m_RsjEEjRyE_Xmin7QF_GgdljZPQSd9mnjru5yOqu1k8Q=w578-h770-no
Totally understand and my expectations are not that of a 200+ acre property. I would be happy with just one encounter with a nice buck every year. That's part of the reason I am looking now as I won't be ready to buy until the spring. I want to find a property that's not located next to a large dog hunting club, or a machine shop with a lot of noise, or an animal rights activist, etc. The agent I'm working with is asking those types of questions about the neighbors for the pieces I'm interested in. This thread was just for my curiosity as to what others have seen on smaller parcels is all.

Nice buck BTW!

Here are a couple I have running around on my west 30.

Attachments

• 102916 (6).JPG
    102916 (6).JPG
    404.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 10272016 (6).JPG
    10272016 (6).JPG
    405.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 102916 (6).JPG
    102916 (6).JPG
    404.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 11212016 (10).JPG
    11212016 (10).JPG
    639.1 KB · Views: 0
28 but there are houses on one edge so I planted a screen and really working with maybe 14. I have a lot of government around me tho.

Yea, state/federal land or an individual neighbor with a large tract can certainly help increase your odds. A lot of small tracts together means higher odds of other hunters around. If I can get my wife in line with the price, there is a 43 acre piece her uncle owns that borders 16000 acres of state forest. Closest parking is a 1-1/2 mile walk to the back line of his property. There are only 2 other neighbors so minimal human impact. So much potential for that piece.

Nice buck. Whereabouts in central VA are you located? I live in Powhatan and am looking for land in the surrounding counties.
I'm in Albemarle county. Dog hunting is huge in my area but the deer seem to head for my place for sanctuary.

Yea, state/federal land or an individual neighbor with a large tract can certainly help increase your odds. A lot of small tracts together means higher odds of other hunters around. If I can get my wife in line with the price, there is a 43 acre piece her uncle owns that borders 16000 acres of state forest. Closest parking is a 1-1/2 mile walk to the back line of his property. There are only 2 other neighbors so minimal human impact. So much potential for that piece.

Ya government land for me is love hate. I work very hard on habitat improvement and everyone around me knows it so I get a swarm of hunters on public trying to reap the benefits. But hey it's legal so I do what I can and then hunt hard. Although in my case I actually still hunt government and not on my land yet. Once I get it like I want it I believe I might start getting some daylight activity.

11 acres Michigan. IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0098.jpg

Attachments

• MDGC4505.JPG
    MDGC4505.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 154.JPG
    154.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 053 (3) (1).jpg
    053 (3) (1).jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm in Albemarle county. Dog hunting is huge in my area but the deer seem to head for my place for sanctuary.
Glad to hear that! I'll be hoping for similar results in terms of a sanctuary property.

Ya government land for me is love hate. I work very hard on habitat improvement and everyone around me knows it so I get a swarm of hunters on public trying to reap the benefits. But hey it's legal so I do what I can and then hunt hard. Although in my case I actually still hunt government and not on my land yet. Once I get it like I want it I believe I might start getting some daylight activity.

Yea, I can see the pros and cons. All that pressure can push deer off that gov't land onto you but at the same time you got more to worry about with intruders.

I own a 10 acre piece where i live and a 40 acre tract 40 minutes away.

I know you asked for pics, and i could produce them, but i think what is so important about small properties is the ground surrounding them. Just my opinions here.

I dont hold deer on 10 acres obviously, but they bed here a lot of days and are very adapted to neighbor noise and such. Bucks, by and large, dont live here. They pass through from surrounding properties searching for the girls. I killed a 130" 8 ptr here last year and was very happy with him.

On the 40, i do have two small food plots pretty much butted against each other. I am surrounded by timber and a smackling of houses. The position of this property does not play well for mature bucks making a home there. I am bordered on the west by a driveway and the south by a county road. A very noisy neighbor to the north. There are better summer homes for bucks in the area. But, i do hold does. Every fall since i bought the place 4 years ago ive seen mature bucks and should have tagged a couple of them. Trail cam pics show several nice bucks every fall. When boundary screening grows in, i anticipate things will improve. I missed an opportunity at a great deer last week and he was killed by a neighbor 30 minutes later. And thats how it goes sometimes.

A mature buck can be seen on any small property during the rut. The number of them visiting your property will be a direct result of the surrounding habitats.
Biggest consideration is the properties position. If you are the last piece of habitat before an interstate, or river, or 100's of acres of crop fields, all the better. Deer can be pushed into these areas and if you dont run them out, they will call it home.

We own 49.8 acres that we have owned and been hunting for about the last 10 years. We manage it to attract deer and it is also a funnel area where deer move through, with and without gun pressure. We border two properties that are superb bedding areas on opposing sides of ours. We are the funnel in between the two. We do hold some deer, especially when the pressure starts but I know I can't control much in the way of holding deer to protect them. I try to create the best habitat on our 50 acres, have large sanctuary areas that we stay out of, have two plots that have the best feed in the area and only a few stand locations that are focused on getting into and out of them without the deer knowing we are there. Our gun stand is a shooting house that looks over the plots and a large portion of a funnel deer travel through. Be able to accept the neighbors killing a majority of the good deer you see on your trail cameras. The best bucks we have taken since owning it are pictured below. We have taken a number of doe and smaller bucks. My kids and those of friends have taken their first deer here.
Look at your property and your neighbors and capitalize on your strong points and make the best of your neighbors strengths by creating something that compliments it. As long as you are realistic, small properties are very rewarding and fun to manage and hunt.

Back