Lessons Learned

Elkaddict

After LC's posts, one of the most helpful threads over at QDMA related to lessons learned. I thought starting this anew would be helpful. This is really a hybrid of topics.

Ample browse is more important than food plots
Thick sanctuary is indispensable if you want deer to bed on your place
Acorns can trump all food sources.
Lime is more important than fertilizer if your ph is low
Lime takes time
Plots need not be magazine clean to be highly effective--deer eat many of my weeds
Monoculture plots are risky--even with deer candy like GHR
Diversity of plots in close proximity promotes movement during feeding times
Water holes in close proximity to bedding and plots are way underrated
It is possible to plant too much food depending on your deer numbers
Deep woods plots promote daylight activity when larger areas see nocturnal use only
A single trail camera on a plot can be very deceiving. Get a plotwatcher
Compact tractors have limitations--mass matters more than stated hp
Scent free blinds like our Rednecks really make a difference
Making a statement with your no trespassing signs/gates is worth the effort
There is not enough time to do everything I'd like to improve my habitat
Improving deer habitat has increased sightings of a variety of wildlife
LC was an unselfish genius

Last edited:
Good thread. Everyone click on your alias name top right and enter some personal details so we will remember where you are located.

The plotwatcher tip is a good one. My camera went berserk once and went into time lapse mode and I couldn't believe all the deer that were missed. Some real good ones.

Having year-around available food promotes consistent deer use.
Don't be quick to judge first year plots or plantings as deer can take time to find them or try different types of plants.

Location can influence deer usage. Choosing spots with easily accessible cover or areas with naturally occurring seclusion, like hills or depressions, can let deer feel comfortable and enter before daylight has turned to darkness. Don't forget transitions into plotting areas.

Don't overhunt food plots. Hunting trails leading to and from plots from a distance allowing hunter undetected approach and departure may be just as important to how successful the plot appears considering use as a measurement. .

Don't sweat what you can't control. Whenever possible, plan for the weather, but realize that ultimately, someone else is in charge.

Sometimes, life gets in the way and you can't do everything exactly as planned. They're foodplots, not gardens or ag fields. If they aren't perfect, the deer will still survive and you can still have enjoyable hunts.

Don't underestimate the value of an exclusion cage for judging success/ failure of a plot.

If your property can flood, raise cameras above high water line and aim down. Even a freak event in summer can cause flooding. Dont ask me how i know.

All great points elk. Interesting how time changes our perspective on things. I got so carried away the 1st couple of years of doing this stuff. The more I do it the more I come to the realization that in our area, sometimes less is more when it comes to plots and feeding. I've discovered that summer plots really don't add much to our place. No ag around us and ample native browse everywhere on our property. With decent rainfall, clover seems to continue getting it done for us in the summer. As of now, I'm questioning supplemental feeding. That may be the next to go on our place. It is very expensive to do it. I just picked up another half ton this past weekend. That's 2.5 tons since mid may. That adds up to too much money when we really have no way to keep the deer we're feeding on our place come fall. The LC mix is becoming the backbone of our food plotting program. It's cost effective if there is such a thing.

Bout to put up our very 1st redneck blind as soon as it cools down a bit.

Triple, I agree with you on several points. It is easy to get carried away worrying we haven't done everything possible. I'm glad supplemental feeding is illegal in NY--I'm certain I would be spending a small fortune on pellets and grain. I also agree with your comments on the LC rotation. It constitutes half of our annual plantings (other half is corn and beans). Congrats on the Redneck--I believe it will change how you approach hunting, particularly with grandpups or a spouse. I find myself sitting in them in the evenings just to watch the deer feed:) Which one did you get? Go find a used swivel office chair but be warned--you'll be so comfortable you'll find yourself dozing off!

Triple, I agree with you on several points. It is easy to get carried away worrying we haven't done everything possible. I'm glad supplemental feeding is illegal in NY--I'm certain I would be spending a small fortune on pellets and grain. I also agree with your comments on the LC rotation. It constitutes half of our annual plantings (other half is corn and beans). Congrats on the Redneck--I believe it will change how you approach hunting, particularly with grandpups or a spouse. I find myself sitting in them in the evenings just to watch the deer feed:) Which one did you get? Go find a used swivel office chair but be warned--you'll be so comfortable you'll find yourself dozing off!

Elk - I got the Predator 360 with a 10 ft base. Biggest issue is determining where to put it. Too many options and only one Redneck.

Don't be afraid to cut a tree. I used to cringe at the thought of cutting anything larger than my wrist, now I am seriously considering having a serious/professional timber thinning. Sunlight is your best friend!(and water).

My thoughts for the day:

Learn which weeds to fear.
Learn which ones to welcome.
Learn which ones to ignore (the ones on the JV team).

Learn how timing of mowing is one of the most important things to master.
Learn how spot spraying (rather than covering an entire area) is one of the smartest things you can do.
Learn how repeating these methods over time provides continuous improvement to your land.

Learn to not attempt to make something grow at a place it doesn't want to grow.
Listen to what nature is trying to tell you.
Work with nature rather than against it.

Don't be afraid to walk to the beat of a different drummer.
Instead of worrying about not seeing the forest for the trees - worry about not being able to see the trees for the forest.
Avoid the advice of self proclaimed academic experts like the plague - instead, listen to a man with dirt under his fingernails.

Insist on more than just the truth. Insist on the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

First of all for being new at this...this site is PHENOMENAL. I only found it a couple of weeks ago when I googled something and went to the QDMA site and saw someone indicating that this was available and the other one was going down. I don't know any of the details of all that nor the players on here but for that person and/or persons who started this...THANK YOU. This is a goldmine for me. Thank you very much and thank you for all that answer my dumb questions with patience. Nice change from other sites on hunting and trapping where they abuse you. That said...this string is awesome and I have a question which I'm sure will be one of many eventually. Native says above...learn which weeds to fear, ignore etc. Can someone provide me a brief tutorial on that or point me in the right direction? I've learned a lot and am looking out at a nice budding plot right now but I wouldn't know a bad weed from a good one to save my life. Thank you

If it's worth doing.....do it right the first time. Cutting corners tends to lead to poor results and frustration and costing you even more in the long run.

Every property is different - learn your properties strengths and weaknesses and work on those......until you address the limiting factor of your habitat you will see minimal results.

There is NO silver bullet to habitat work.....it's a system and it all has to work together.

Forget what you see on TV and in magazines......those properties have resources thrown at them that many of us can only dream of. Embrace your reality.....not every place will grow a B&C class deer.....regardless of how old it is.

Don't shoot the high powered rifle in the house.......don't ask how I know!

First of all for being new at this...this site is PHENOMENAL. I only found it a couple of weeks ago when I googled something and went to the QDMA site and saw someone indicating that this was available and the other one was going down. I don't know any of the details of all that nor the players on here but for that person and/or persons who started this...THANK YOU. This is a goldmine for me. Thank you very much and thank you for all that answer my dumb questions with patience. Nice change from other sites on hunting and trapping where they abuse you. That said...this string is awesome and I have a question which I'm sure will be one of many eventually. Native says above...learn which weeds to fear, ignore etc. Can someone provide me a brief tutorial on that or point me in the right direction? I've learned a lot and am looking out at a nice budding plot right now but I wouldn't know a bad weed from a good one to save my life. Thank you
Welcome to the site! Most of the folks on here are from the now defunct QDMA forum. One of the forum members (cutman) got together with a friend of his who already has a bunch of other forums (alnipper49) and he started this great new forum for us. This forum is not about bashing and pettiness. It is about sharing information and passing the combined knowledge of our forum members down the line. None of us know "everything" but all of us know "something" and when you put that all together you get something great! Even though theis is called "Deerhunterforum" I don't think it is all about hunting deer but being stewards of the habitat that the deer happen to live in. Most of us are habitat guys with varying degrees of actual deer hunting that go's on. Some of us eat, sleep, breathe deer hunting 24-7/365 and some of us just want something to pass down to our kids and grandkids. We all share our love of the whitetail deer and the land he calls home...

BTW - I also noticed it is your birthday so have a Happy one!

Last edited:
Back