Leaning Chestnut tree

CAS_HNTR

I have a Chestnut that is 3 years old and is leaning due to a combination of weak legs from tubes, deer beating on it a bit, and cicadas about killing it last year.....anyways.....should I try and stake it with a 10' piece of pipe to prevent further leaning it just let it go?

I also thought about cutting back to the lowest limb, but I hate to do that.

IMG_20170723_174110562_zpsmgmiv51t.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Chestnut that is 3 years old and is leaning due to a combination of weak legs from tubes, deer beating on it a bit, and cicadas about killing it last year.....anyways.....should I try and stake it with a 10' piece of pipe to prevent further leaning it just let it go?

I also thought about cutting back to the lowest limb, but I hate to do that.
Your pic didn't load so I'm assuming you have a photobucket issue like so many others did. depending on how bad it is would determine what I would do. If it looks like the tree just needs some help and will grow out of it, then maybe help train it some in some fashion. If it's pretty well set, then it grows out of it or it doesn't. You can only "push" or "pull" so much and then it's up to the tree. If it is weakened I would not stress it any more than needed.

It would help to see a picture, but I can't see how staking it could really hurt anything as long as the pressure isn't too much.

I've even roped them off to fences before with on ill effects. Just don't get something small that will cut into the tree.

An old tire tube cut up about 3 inches wide make a nice anchor that doesn't cut into a tree.

Last edited:
Easy - peazy to fix that. To support tree trunks for training I like to use 550 cord and a old piece of actual rubber garden hose. The 550 cord is damn -near indestructible and the garden hose is cheap, soft and pliable enough to not hurt the tree. Just remember your trying to "guide" it - not force it!

Back