Late Season Bow Hunting - Clothes

HB_Hunter

What do you guys wear late season when bow hunting from a tree stand?

I have good base layers and good warm/windproof outer layers. They are great due to limited movement when gun hunting, but they make noise when moving.

I don’t think I could draw my bow in my late season gear with a deer at 30 yards and not get busted.

What’s the best outer layer for late season bow hunting? I’m looking for something windproof and quiet.

While I don’t have one, I played around with my nephews heater body suit a few years back on a 15 degree day. Bulky to pack in, but with a couple of hand warmers tucked inside, I was unzipping to cool the darn thing off!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a wool coat from cabbalas that is mainly for very cold weather that I've used in Canada. It is the warmest and quietest coat possible. And it has a more of a light colored camo that is ideal for late hunts when the trees take on that ghostly look. I love wearing it. The other I have that is good to below 30 if you layer is a new UA coat I bought this year from Dicks. Extremely quite and light and warm. And has some of the best insulated pockets of any coat I've owned.

I’ve seen good things about the heater bodysuit, but I’d like to still be able to hunt out of my tree saddle.

I’ll check out the wooltimate buck.

Did you get the UA Extreme Wool dogghr? I’d really like to hear some feedback on that.

I also picked up nice wool sweater from goodwill, dirt cheap! Anything with wool will be quiet and warm, unless there is a lot of wind.

I’ve seen good things about the heater bodysuit, but I’d like to still be able to hunt out of my tree saddle.

I’ll check out the wooltimate buck.

Did you get the UA Extreme Wool dogghr? I’d really like to hear some feedback on that.

HB the UA is not wool but I’ve worn everyday since I bought it month ago w temps into the teens. I do wear wool LJs and wool sweater under it. I’d never seen one like it before. Jst part of their coldgear line. Dead quite.
The second pic is the wool coat that I’ve had for quite a while. I’ve worn it from 20 to -25 w it’s bibs on all day hunts. Has bunch of hand warmer pockets inside. The bibs are too bulky for hunting most of the time south of Can border.
e6561fbef88fe164d18d2ac887f01583.jpg

ba56caa5d40ca6c71df83b291d739631.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the Cabela's wooltimate hunting jacket and pants with windshear liner. Looks almost identical to dogghr's pic if not identical. It's gotta be really cold for me to wear it this far south. That is one warm, windproof jacket.

Yep, I'd say the photo is Cabelas Wooltimate. I have the pull over Wooltimate and the pattern looks identical. It is a bit of a PITA to put on and take off but no zippers to allow air / wind in. It really works great. I cannot walk around in it as I will get extremely sweaty, strictly for sitting only.

I’ve become more conscious about layering. Merino wool base layer, followed by cabelas stand hunter base layer, a light fleece layer and then an outer layer. Last week it was in the 30s so my outer layer was a wooltimate vest. It’s nice to be able to pull the bow back without any restriction. I like the woolitmate and Berber fleece. Decent warmth and good price point. Lower body is a warm base layer, a pair of cargo hunting pants and for colder weather an insulated bib. I tried on a Sitka fanatic jacket a couple weeks ago and it felt awesome. I see why people like them so much - but for the price I just couldn’t pull the trigger.

I use to be Cabelas #1 fan of wind shear products. Two years ago there quality control over seas had a lot of problems. Burned me several times and I said never again. Bought the over priced Sitka jacket. I was shocked at how there products fit and perform. Never had jacket that had no restriction wile drawing or excessive bulk and string slap. The HBS is also great but late season you stand out like a giant blob in tree. With the HBS and jacket I can be comfortable down to about 25 deg.

Heater Body Suit with a hoodie underneath it. No bulk on the shot at all and warm enough my wimpy butt can hunt in 0 degree weather without discomfort.

Does the Cabelas Wooltimate Jacket run true to size? Or are they larger or smaller in size?
Mine seems a little large but I did order larger so I could bulk up layers in Canada. I'd go true to your size. Of course all of UA tends to run tight.

I haven't tried the HBS but have a IWOM for the daughter and wife.Place on Iowadeer.com has HBS on sale.I use my wooltimate from cabelas all the time

I haven't tried the HBS but have a IWOM for the daughter and wife.Place on Iowadeer.com has HBS on sale.I use my wooltimate from cabelas all the time
I don't use mine often (doesn't really get cold here often), but when I do it's nice!

Good to see you the other day. Sorry I didn't introduce you to my wife, wasn't thinking...

Heater Body Suit with a hoodie underneath it. No bulk on the shot at all and warm enough my wimpy butt can hunt in 0 degree weather without discomfort.
I hate coming out of HBS when time to get down. Really makes you appreciate how warm they are. Also no more cold feet.

Back