Kansas deer management assistance program

Razorback

Does Kansas have one? We have one in Arkansas and it’s pretty good. I hunt some ground in Kansas and the landowner is interested in doing some habitat work. Trying to get him into the eqip program but that takes time and a lot of paperwork

No they do have what we call WHIP program and they base it on points from other things that you do.I haven't done the equip in kansas I have done about every other CRP program from CP33 to wetland.If the landowner didnt want to do programs he could do most himself and go with purchasing seedlings from kansas forestry or Missouri conservation.Tubes and ground cover are 2 of the biggest expense items when planting trees and shrubs.Kansas does have several tree planters that in prepared ground 2 guys can plant several thousand in a day.

Not sure what you mean. Dmap is property specific so a landowner can only kill more does than the general rules allow if the biologist says it’s needed.
I know some folks who enrolled in DMAP and all the management prescription ever amounted to was shooting more does, with extra tags - like six wasnt already enough, and gave them three extra months to do it. Most are now sorry they did. It is easy to reduce deer numbers - not so easy to get them back.

If you meant deer nuisance program then yes they do but really it's just giving some doe tags to keep landowner from saying deer are eating his crops.Usually this only occurs off season and is doe only.It's really usually crap and just done so they can say they did.The only one I have done the farmer had calf tracks all over his milo field.It wasn't even deer.

No - not deer nuisance program - DMAP. I dont know of a single piece of ground enrolled in DMAP where the first prescription wasnt to reduce the number of does. State biologists came to my place because I was complaining about a declining deer herd and few does. They recommended I get together with some surrounding landowners so our combined acreage would total 500 acres so we could join DMAP. I asked them what that would do for me. The first words out of their mouth were they could give me extra doe tags - remember, I had called them in to my place because of a declining number of does. I stopped them right there. I know plenty of DMAP participants who think their hunting has really suffered after joining DMAP.

I know some folks who enrolled in DMAP and all the management prescription ever amounted to was shooting more does, with extra tags - like six wasnt already enough, and gave them three extra months to do it. Most are now sorry they did. It is easy to reduce deer numbers - not so easy to get them back.
No - not deer nuisance program - DMAP. I dont know of a single piece of ground enrolled in DMAP where the first prescription wasnt to reduce the number of does. State biologists came to my place because I was complaining about a declining deer herd and few does. They recommended I get together with some surrounding landowners so our combined acreage would total 500 acres so we could join DMAP. I asked them what that would do for me. The first words out of their mouth were they could give me extra doe tags - remember, I had called them in to my place because of a declining number of does. I stopped them right there.
If you meant deer nuisance program then yes they do but really it's just giving some doe tags to keep landowner from saying deer are eating his crops.Usually this only occurs off season and is doe only.It's really usually crap and just done so they can say they did.The only one I have done the farmer had calf tracks all over his milo field.It wasn't even deer.
I was asking about a program similar to Arkansas’s Acres for Wildlife. Easy to enroll and they help pay for cedar removal, native grass planting, fire lanes, etc. If you get money for any of those from eqip then you can’t get money from Arkansas but if you don’t apply for eqip you get the money, which is more limited than eqip, usually. The landowner is willing to do the work regardless but I told him there are programs available that will pay him to do what he’s going to do anyway.

Check with the Feds NRCS - they have a program for Cedar removal. They have most of the programs the AR G&F advertises and then they get you in contact with NRCS. Just cut out G&F and go straight to NRCS.

Back