JD Van Brunt Model B Drill settings

tcook8296

I have a drill I purchased last year and not sure which notch to set the lever on. I was reading the label and it looks like notch 12 will be 88 lbs per acre. Does this sound correct?
I want to plant heavier than lighter. Im doing about 4 acres and have a good number of deer around.
I have planted beans by broadcasting the last 2 years but have not been able to get them to canopy.
Also should I be blocking any of the seed tubes?

I used to have a model B. I will check and see if I still have the settings page - I know I had one laminated.

Are you looking for the setting for soy beans then? Are your seed tubes on 6" centers? Do you want your beans on 6" rows or maybe 12"?

I have a high deer density on my property and plant my beans on 7.5" rows. I calibrate my no-till drill to plant 200,000 to 210,000 seeds per acre. Generally speaking, beans will be packaged at 140,000 seeds per bag. The weight of the bag will vary with the size of the seed.

I have a drill I purchased last year and not sure which notch to set the lever on. I was reading the label and it looks like notch 12 will be 88 lbs per acre. Does this sound correct?
I want to plant heavier than lighter. Im doing about 4 acres and have a good number of deer around.
I have planted beans by broadcasting the last 2 years but have not been able to get them to canopy.
Also should I be blocking any of the seed tubes?
I have a van brunt and have planted the eagle brand beans with it. I set it on 7 or 8 and space 21 inch rows. I cut my drill from a 17 to an 8 and it is 7 inches between each tube so you do need to tape up some. I actually put dividers in mine for the beans and just fill up everything over the dividers when I do oats and wheat etc. so I am using 1 4 8. I would have tried 28" spacing this year but it's tough with the 8 drills. Anyway this will get them to canopy and be very thick but I may not have as many deer as you. There is a way where you put tape on the tire and turn it one revolution, then measure the distance, then jack up the drive wheel and fill the tubes you plan on using and catch the seed for 1 revolution. Count those and divide by how many feet and it will give you the amount of seed for that distance. On the eagle web site it tells how much you should plant for the amount of deer on your property. If you are doing regular soybeans then you probably don't want to go by this. Hope this helps.

Is this a drill or planter?I have a JD VB drill and got a reproduction handbook off ebay for around 10.00 and it has all the info.

Depends on the size of bean seed you are planting. 12 might be right for an 2200 count/lb bean size but way over board for a 3500 count/lb bean size. What bean size are you planting?

Feed gates at bottom of seed cups should be set to middle position for the majority of food plot seedings.

If you have an acre counter on the drill, then use it to calibrate.....put in the amount of seed you want to plant in 0.5 ac.....choose the 12 setting....start drilling....if you run out before 0.5 ac, the drop to a 10 setting and repeat.....if you run long, then increase setting to 14 and try again. Just check the hopper about each 0.1 ac to make sure the seed cups are full and each is planting. When you get it figured out, take a magic marker and write the setting and seed information on the underside of hopper lid for future reference. Seed size and density may change from year to year so you may need to tweak the setting from year to year.

One other comment....on these drills.....always move the lever to a number well above your desired setting, then move it back down to your setting....this consistently takes the slack out of the linkages and makes drill adjustment more consistent when tweaking.

Seeding rate can also be determined by measuring the width of opening on the side of the seed feed (the cogged metal cyclinder on the feed shaft) in the feed cup (the metal bowl where seed meters through), if the lever linkage is way out of whack. Seed feed opening (distance between end of cog cylinder and edge of feed cup) should be about 3/8" to 1/4" for each feed on the drill for planting beans or cow pea.

Back