J-birds place

You never stop j-bird! Good to hear you got your stands up & ready. The water hole & scrape tree upgrades look great. Nice work. Good luck!

I like your screen idea J-bird. Haven't done but two waterholes yet but many are on the list. Still putting stands up and even will be doing it during rifle season as that's when my help will be here. So you are not alone--hurrying now to get our dugout set up for our two hunting partners to arrive --only 1 1/2 weeks left.

Your place looks great and moving some of the stands each year does make for more fun and adventure.

Thanks everybody. Hopefully I'm done with my habitat adventures until after season closes. I will take to the chainsaw as soon as season closes and the weather is decent for me to work in (I hate the cold). Hopefully from here on out until the end of season it's all cam pics, live from the stand pics and hero shots! Got cooler weather moving in this weekend so I plan on being in a tree.

Waterhole looks great, it's funny that you have to add all the escape mechanism's
I was shocked that I drowned 3 mice in a week - I figured they would use the limb to escape - shows what I know. Hopefully the latest addition will prevent that and I don't have to routinely remove dead critters from them. The steep plastic sides don;t give them anything to be able to grip with a lower water level. Oh well, I figured it would be a learning process, I just didn't think it would be about keeping critters from drowning.

I was shocked that I drowned 3 mice in a week - I figured they would use the limb to escape - shows what I know. Hopefully the latest addition will prevent that and I don't have to routinely remove dead critters from them. The steep plastic sides don;t give them anything to be able to grip with a lower water level. Oh well, I figured it would be a learning process, I just didn't think it would be about keeping critters from drowning.
I need to put a couple of these out around our place WITHOUT the escape mechanisms ;)

I need to put a couple of these out around our place WITHOUT the escape mechanisms ;)
Actually a 5 gallon bucket, with some grain in the bottom with a 2x4 leaning up against the top on the outside works great for catching mice. They smell the grain and climb the board and jump in to feed - they however can't jump high enough to escape. We used to do it as kids to get mice to use a fishing bait. Gotta watch out though - they will run up your arm to escape! Big bass love little critters swimming across the water - we would hold the hook to the mice with a rubber band (dang rubber bands for my braces where useful for something). Swim, swim, swim, Whoosh!

We do a similar deal for our shops but we use a 5 gallon bucket with a liquid in it. I like old antifreeze and water...

5 gallon bucket, round wooden dowel rod, small metal thin pipe and 2 screws. Bucket upright. cut dowel and pipe both to a size that will fit inside the rim of the bucket. Slide the pipe over the dowel and use a screw on each end to secure the dowel rod into the lip of the bucket. You should have a rolling bridge at this point. Put your liquid in, smear a little peanut butter on the rolling pipe, place a board or something up to the lip of the bucket and the mice will smell the PB and come up the board, try to walk across the rolling bridge and it will turn under them and dump them into the drink...It's a self setting trap so it is continuously catching as long as you have a little PB on the pipe...

Man I learn something new all the time on this forum. Gonna try this mice catching technique in our shop. They've grown rather smart toward mouse traps.

Great idea,wonder if it would work on coons with a barrel,Now I am thinking what about a tip over lid so that they fall in but the lid goes back up ready for the next one

Google "bucket trap". Lots of ways this works.
Love the idea of using this for coons!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Man I learn something new all the time on this forum. Gonna try this mice catching technique in our shop. They've grown rather smart toward mouse traps.

A 5 gallon bucket about half full of water will work like a charm . Set it somewhere where they can climb up and get into it, can even put a little bait in it to give them some more traction

Well I finally hit the stand today to hunt this morning. Moon was bright and nearly straight overhead this am based on my shadow. Got in the stand about a 1/2 hour before light. Had a group of 2 does and 2 fawns come in......I was about to kill the biggest one but I was having issues with the limbs of the x-bow having clearance as I was shooting more near behind the stand. She saw me move and game over. No big deal. This was my view this morning.
N east stand view.jpg

I found a nice little active scrape here as well. This is about 50 yards into the woods of an inside corner of a standing soybean field. I added my contribution before I left the woods.
N woods scrape.jpg

On the walk home I stopped by and took some other pics as well. First the scrape tree at my plot. Wasn't sure there was much use, but found a nice track in the scrape when I looked a little closer.
N scrape tree.jpg N scrape tree close.jpg

My north plots as of today. My clover plot was nuked with gly and overseeded in late summer - it seems to be bouncing back nice......just can't seem to win the battle against the smartweed!
N plot mid october after nuking.jpg
The annual plot seems to have mixed results. In some cases I got great leaf growth and in others no so much and not much of anything to speak of as far as tuber is concerned. I think that may be due to the varieties the BOB seed was. Next year I will go back to GFR and PPT.....live and learn.
N abbuak plot mid oct.jpg

We had a real good day long rain shower 2 days ago - so we still got some puddles - made the walk into the stand pretty quiet though. I was looking forward to the rain as I needed it to germinate the kill plot I broadcast not long ago.

Always a good day when the kids get to hunt with you! I put out three scrape trees today, can't wait to see if they get used.

Nothing better than a pic of your kid with a huge smile because your doing something with them!
Everything is look great.

What is the liquid looking substance in your plot??? Send some this way! Great pic of you and your daughter.
I'll box up some of that liquid (called rain if you forgot what it looks likes) and send some to you. Not sure how much will get to you in one of them flat rate boxes thought!!!

I have always tried to open the door to the outdoors for my kids - hunting, fishing or even just taking walks and pictures. They all have taken their hunters Ed class but some prefer to fish while others like to hunt and that's ok with me. I try to at least expose them to it and give them some appreciation for it - what they do with it from there is up to them.

Back