Is it too early to plant food plots?

Glad to see Dogdoc planted his Eagle Beans this week. I planted my first ever plot on Saturday.... 4 acres of Eagle soybeans in Southern OK
b1df53e66f1c526c04fb1f86ee17dd82.jpg

JUNE 12 OATS PLANTED ON MARCH 31.jpg JUNE 12 CLOVER CHICORY PLANTED ON MARCH 31.jpg

The oats, clover and chicory that I no-tilled into standing corn stubble on a chilly day in the end of March is looking good. Long term goal is for this to be a clover plot next year. I don't think I will mow the oats, I want to see how the deer and turkeys eat the ripe grain on the stalks. On hindsight I should have seeded the clover just a tad heavier than I did (40lb oats, 3.5 lb ladino, 2.5 lb red clover, 1.5 lb chicory per acre) My goals for my food plots is to invest the least amount of time money and diesel fuel possible, so I usually plant feedmill grain (uncleaned) I can buy oats for $14 per 100lb, wheat for $12. Same reason I didn't chop the corn stubble or mow the oats to release the clover, save time and $. I often experiment, normally wouldn't do red clover, I wanted to see how it does beside ladino.

Back