Is it safe to drive over brassicas to spread fertilizer?

Crimson850

have some brassicas just popping out of the ground and some a couple inches tall that are begging for fertilizer. Am I going to be ok driving over my plots to spread? I can spread a decent width so it's not like I will be driving over everything

I wouldn't worry about it. No different than spraying gly on RR beans and I've done that plenty with no ill effects. I mow and fertilize clover too, and can't see my tracks after a day or two.

Drycreek is correct. It's a common practice for farmers to drive through emerging crops to spray and fertilize. You want to try to spread it with the least amount of damage possible, i.e. using a smaller tractor. The benefits outweigh the damage. I just drove through these the other week and it grew shut again.WP_20170902_07_15_14_Pro (2).jpg

I know one thing not to do and that is drive over new sprouts with a cultipacker. I did that two years ago and it crushed everything.

have some brassicas just popping out of the ground and some a couple inches tall that are begging for fertilizer. Am I going to be ok driving over my plots to spread? I can spread a decent width so it's not like I will be driving over everything

Yes, it'll do some minor damage but nothing to be worried about.

Just try not to make sharp turns in the crop. Ideally drive in straight lines when spreading and do all your turning off the field.

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

My Dad was helping me with our plots back in early August. I had planted this plot in strips and the brassicas had been planted about 2-3 weeks before. They were 6-10inches tall. We broadcast rye, oats and fertilizer on the unplanted strips and my Dads job was to roll that in. He did that great, everything was perfect. We then spread clover seed and we were going to roll it in. Well, my dad got confused and before I could stop him, he rolled the brassicas 3-4 times with the wheeler and lawn mower. All of the brassicas were smashed, leaves torn etc. It looked pretty bad. I figured that strip was done and was going to plan B. Went back 2 weeks later to do some work and to my surprise the brassicas were up, growing and had gained some height and leaves. Granted we had a nice 3/4 inch rain 2 days after he rolled them over.

Back