Interesting Stat

Bullwinkle

WI woodlands associate editorial stated there are 11.9MM acres of private land in WI owned by 360,000 private land owners

That means the average land owner has 33 acres

Challenge to get critical mass in passing young bucks with this many small parcels.

Not everyone wants to shoot a big buck, they are happy shooting a basket rack 6 or 8 point.

And what's big to 1 person isn't too another. I know for a fact that I probably would shoot something you think is too small

Not everyone wants to shoot a big buck, they are happy shooting a basket rack 6 or 8 point.

And what's big to 1 person isn't too another. I know for a fact that I probably would shoot something you think is too small
I really don't have an issue with that at all. I used to be like that too. It depends on you're situation. In my neighborhood it is very easy to shoot a basket racked 6ptr. Where I grew up in Shawano and Oconto counties we were happy with those bucks too. If we shot those now we'd be done the first weekend. The problem is little bucks are too easy to kill and monster bucks are too hard imo. My next quest might be traditional equipment and lower my standards

I am just amazed at how small the average woodland is. I would have guessed 50 acres with so many 40 acre parcels in WI

Average is nearly meaningless. How many own 1/4 acre lots vs 10,000 acre blocks? Median would be more meaningful.

WI woodlands associate editorial stated there are 11.9MM acres of private land in WI owned by 360,000 private land owners

Challenge to get critical mass in passing young bucks with this many small parcels.

Bull if all of those "average" landowners hunted and each killed two deer that would be 39 deer killed per section! Luckily not all parcels are owned by hunters.

Average is nearly meaningless. How many own 1/4 acre lots vs 10,000 acre blocks? Median would be more meaningful.
Ditto...not all "landowners" are going to own at least 33 acres...some have a lot of land and some have a little...

I just realized I am the largest landowner along our 1 mile section of county road. We shoot and have opportunities at bucks like you covet yearly on 80 acres surrounded by 10 acre hunting camps with different hunters in each one...

Just worry about your parcel and the rest will sort itself out...

Well, just for kicks and giggles, Bull, you said, "...private land..." Did you mean private woodlands? Or, just all non-government owned land? If you want to get into the weeds, and look at private woodland, there's all kinds of classifications depending on who's doing the classifying.

In one of the counties in Virginia where I hunt, a rural county, there are 16,266 parcels (for tax purposes). Something just short of half (45%) are a quarter acre or less.And 75% are less than 5 acres. The percent of parcels in the 5 acres to 75 acre range is around 21%.

At the "big" end there are 326 between 100 and 250 acres; 63 between 250 and 500 acres; 20 between 500 and 1,000 acres. And 3 parcels over 1,000 acres.

Here's the kicker, while the number of parcels over 100 acres is is about 2.5%, the acreage is about half of what's in the county. Put another way, in round, round numbers, there are over 16-thousand land owners, but 50% of the acreage is owned by 412 individuals / entities.

Meaningless I know, but interesting for the numbers nerds like me.

It just emphasizes the importance of Quality Deer Management even more, if everyone gets on the same page on deer and land management then acres owned becomes less important when the region has a strong, healthy deer herd.

Well, just for kicks and giggles, Bull, you said, "...private land..." Did you mean private woodlands? Or, just all non-government owned land? If you want to get into the weeds, and look at private woodland, there's all kinds of classifications depending on who's doing the classifying.

In one of the counties in Virginia where I hunt, a rural county, there are 16,266 parcels (for tax purposes). Something just short of half (45%) are a quarter acre or less.And 75% are less than 5 acres. The percent of parcels in the 5 acres to 75 acre range is around 21%.

At the "big" end there are 326 between 100 and 250 acres; 63 between 250 and 500 acres; 20 between 500 and 1,000 acres. And 3 parcels over 1,000 acres.

Here's the kicker, while the number of parcels over 100 acres is is about 2.5%, the acreage is about half of what's in the county. Put another way, in round, round numbers, there are over 16-thousand land owners, but 50% of the acreage is owned by 412 individuals / entities.

Meaningless I know, but interesting for the numbers nerds like me.
Yes woodlands. This is from the forestry association. I assumed they took it off tax codes and residential lots would not be included. May be wrong?

It just emphasizes the importance of Quality Deer Management even more, if everyone gets on the same page on deer and land management then acres owned becomes less important when the region has a strong, healthy deer herd.
Well said

Back