How is the rain situation in your area?

We got 7.5" also. It needs to dry out so I can plant my summer plots of beans, sunflowers and sorghum.

I had to use a kayak to get my riverbottom cameras on Sunday. Rye and/or wheat in farm fields in Mason Co was pretty matted down. I couldn't tell if it was a main crop or cover crop.

My high ground at home is great as I've tried to minimize tillage and add organic matter. The water infiltration is impressive in the plots. Anything compacted from cars or tractors shows the runoff.

Got 1.26" last night. I left work early yesterday afternoon to go spread 34-0-0 on 7 acres of corn. Finished spreading around 7 pm and the rain arrived at 10 pm. Sometimes the rain gods are kind.

Sounds like the rains have covered a large area of the country. We are finally getting a little break today but last I checked they are calling for it to start back up tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't amount to much.

I was just looking at the forecast for the rest of the week and it is showing rain for the next 4 days. After the foot of rain we have had that should make for a nice mess. I am hoping the temperature they are showing for Friday is a typo, it is showing a low of 4 degrees but a high of 52 so I am guessing it was a mistake if not that will really suck. I heard there is a chance of snow in Ohio this week though so who knows.

The rain has arrived here and the fields are not drive-able or work-able again. They almost were recovered from the thawing snow but now are super soft again. The big lake(lake Ontario) is as high as it has been in twenty plus years. They can't accelerate the outflow because downstream (the Saint Lawrence River has too much water already and the water from the other great lakes keeps on pouring in. There already is shoreline erosion damage and more will occur especially when the wind blows which is pretty often. For us on the eastern end of the lake its the west and south winds that really bite.

The thousands of acres of wetlands along the lake are completely under water so presumably the deer have moved onto surrounding higher properties. Our hunting property is only four air miles from the lake but happily there has been no immigration of displaced deer noticed here yet. Our population is about right and we don't need any more for now.

Our cottages are in a harbor to the lake so even though we get the high water we don't get the huge wave erosion that the direct lakefront receives. We do get some erosion though but it is manageable. Directly on the lake it is not.

Low ground beans won't get planted until June at this rate. High ground is growing well.

Another 4-5" expected over remainder of week. I don't farm, but hoping for some warm dry weathers for the farmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I sure hope mother nature is gentle with us over the next 4 days. If we get the rain I hope it comes a little slower than the last few storms. We don't need anymore of these 1-2" an hour rains.

After about ten consecutive days of rain it finally gave us a break yesterday. And today with apple trees mostly in bloom it is sunny and 60 degrees out already! Insects can be seen flying everywhere. Hope they are pollinating;will attempt to pollinate a few myself today--first time. And two days ago we had a few snow showers!

Lake Ontario is the highest I have ever seen it (been here thirty years). Around 1993 it was close to this high but this a couple of inches higher. Our first group of fisherman come today;we'll see how the fish are biting. In the 1993 high water we had excellent fishing. Though the water is guessing maybe three feet higher than normal it is as clear as can be.

For years I brought two or three rocks from the land on every trip to the cottages;it is those rocks that are now keeping the lake off most of my lawn. Many people are flooded with some cottages being under water a little. I was only able to get one of my three docks out due to the water being higher than the dock poles. Will make the decision later today whether or not to recommend those with reservations this month might want to cancel as it appears the water will continue to rise. We do everything we possibly can to meet the water challenge so our guys can go fishing but this time the constantly rising water may have beaten us. We'll see. This is a picture of one of the local marinas that have floating docks. The camps in the background aren't faring so well.
DSC_1373a.jpg

The sign says No Parking--school bus turn around.
DSC_1369ab.jpg

And here is our dock on a blow day which raises the water a ft. or so, not perfect but not so bad on the downwind side. It will suffice for this week anyway.
DSC_1341a.jpg

My gut feeling is that normal or acceptable lake heights won't be this month or maybe not even next month. Luckily we do not require normal rental income to get by and my food plot seed for the year is bought and paid for! YIPPEE! Hope the rain stays away for a few days at least.

It's rained at our place so frequently I'm starting to worry about getting our corn and beans in. It's simply too wet to work our fields and it would appear we will be at least 3 weeks late getting the ground prepared and seed in the ground. The one bright side is our established clover plots and last fall's grain plantings are flourishing. The green up is actually finally showing signs of life on the mountain as well.

Here we go again with heavy rains here. I can't catch a break. We just get dried up enough to work a little dirt and then get hit with another couple inches. I am starting to wonder if I will get any summer plots in this year at all. May be all fall plots on the Blizzard farms this year. I have 35 acres to get planted and I haven't broke soil on any of it yet.

We are dry dry dry here in Charleston, SC. If I don't get rain from the system predicted to arrive Monday I'm afraid my corn won't make.

In northern IL according to FarmLogs I've had 16.72" since Jan. 1. I think we only had one calendar week without precipitation this year if I'm reading the report right. The week of Jan. 29. When I planted my clover plot, it rained two days later. I planted two trees Monday of this week and it rained Tuesday night. I gotta quit planting stuff!

It seems mother nature wants to see standing water.on the ground.

Eugene

I got my fert down but have been unable to spray or put any seed in the ground. Wild weather. Good for the trees. I've got 15 bags of beans and 3 of corn itching to get in the drill

We received almost 2" of rain in about 30 minutes yesterday(5-20). Total for the year locally is 25" according to apps and news. Our area lake has been 6" high for over a month and was 8' high(over summer pool) at one point. The last time it was that high was 2010 when it peaked at 9'. Keep in mind, the lake was at winter pool(flood control lake), which was 3' below summer pool. There was a lot of water on the ground and fishermen were in farmers fields catching fish in the trees and on fence posts. The water was held for a couple of weeks due to the Cumberland, Ohio and Mississippi Rivers being so high. I hate that there is this much rain this early in the year. Its nice to have it spread out over the summer, instead of all at once and nothing once we reach our hottest temps.

Back