Help with my first plot

Got a little something going on.
5809a45528bbdd0d5b139303cda24394.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
What did you plant?

So I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture of the plot. Its not good.

The clover is coming up in spots and looks like it was planted in rows. Very little growth.

I think I did a few things wrong and learned a few things.

1) I broadcast before way too much rain. They were calling for one inch but we got a quick 4+ inches and I think my seed got washed into clumps.

2) I didn't have a well enough prepared seed bed. I have way too much weeds growing. I probably should have sprayed, dragged, allowed fresh growth, sprayed, dragged, allowed fresh growth, etc etc. Some suggested this being this has been a fallow field for years. I didn't listen.

3) I went over the broadcast seed with my atv dragging a weighted jet sled. The jet sled has grooves on the bottom. I would assume this is why I have "lines" of good growth. This was a flat out boneheaded move on my part.

4) I should've used at least double the seed amount in preparation of a lot of seed not geminating.

5) I didn't do a soil test.

I did add 400lbs of pelletized lime and 150lbs of 5-10-10.

I guess at this point I'm going to spray it with glyph, drag and wait for some regrowth, spray, repeat.
Get a soil test.
And be better prepared to plant in August. It seems a lot of guys get good clover growth by just broadcasting before a rain and not going over the seed with anything so Im confused why I got the lines. I obviously need something to get better seed to soil contact. I really don't want to spend $500 on a cultpacker but unless I can figure something cheaper out I guess that's where Im heading.

So I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture of the plot. Its not good.

The clover is coming up in spots and looks like it was planted in rows. Very little growth.

I think I did a few things wrong and learned a few things.

1) I broadcast before way too much rain. They were calling for one inch but we got a quick 4+ inches and I think my seed got washed into clumps.

2) I didn't have a well enough prepared seed bed. I have way too much weeds growing. I probably should have sprayed, dragged, allowed fresh growth, sprayed, dragged, allowed fresh growth, etc etc. Some suggested this being this has been a fallow field for years. I didn't listen.

3) I went over the broadcast seed with my atv dragging a weighted jet sled. The jet sled has grooves on the bottom. I would assume this is why I have "lines" of good growth. This was a flat out boneheaded move on my part.

4) I should've used at least double the seed amount in preparation of a lot of seed not geminating.

5) I didn't do a soil test.

I did add 400lbs of pelletized lime and 150lbs of 5-10-10.

I guess at this point I'm going to spray it with glyph, drag and wait for some regrowth, spray, repeat.
Get a soil test.
And be better prepared to plant in August. It seems a lot of guys get good clover growth by just broadcasting before a rain and not going over the seed with anything so Im confused why I got the lines. I obviously need something to get better seed to soil contact. I really don't want to spend $500 on a cultpacker but unless I can figure something cheaper out I guess that's where Im heading.

How sandy is your soil?
Lots of good advice above about fall being easier for weed competition, weather timing, species selection. Spraying continually all summer likely won’t eliminate the seed bank you have in the soil so will just be time and expense reduce feeding in plot now. One option is to get the soil tests and watch it grow for a month or so. Then Mow high before any grasses set seed and let broadleaf weeds feed deer. Then depending on weather and what you want to plant try again in aug/sept. The big rains this spring have impacted my plantings as well. Good luck.

It doesn't seem sandy at all. I did spray last week with cleth for grasses.

I had planned to plant Hancocks killer clover mix in august.
• 30% Crimson Clover
• 30% Ladino Grazing Clover
• 30% Arrowleaf Clover
• 10% Alfalfa

Back