Growing media

Goldentriangle

I know from following most of you guys that Promix Bx seems to be the standard for chestnuts and other trees. I have never been able to get it locally so I have been mixing my own media. I just saw two types of all purpose Promix at menards..
ee52f5c0aca47c4442050e3bf5f50dfe.jpg

ee69936c4079b17a45d0e86849f033d8.jpg

Has anybody used these for chestnuts or trees like persimmon? Thanks hey don't appear to have any water retention stuff in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not used either of those. What I buy has high porosity. If I was going to use either of the bags above for chestnuts I would buy some perlite to mix with it to increase the drainage. Myself I would avoid the organic choice.

We want growing media that 1) drains, 2) does not compact and 3) allows O2 to the roots.

Good luck to you.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, I was hoping you would weigh in... I think I will try the first one with the perilite and possibly mix in a few pine bark nuggets. I thought 10.00 for 35lbs seems fair.

My first couple years growing before I used HP promise I added shredded coconut husks to my medium for the things Wayne mentioned. Worked great ! I'm sure the local pot shop or Amazon has it pretty cheap.

Home depot carries peat,perlite,and vermiculite

1:1:1 ratio makes a "light"and well drained mix

bill

Thanks Wayne, I was hoping you would weigh in... I think I will try the first one with the perilite and possibly mix in a few pine bark nuggets. I thought 10.00 for 35lbs seems fair.

I use mini-pine bark. They add the acidic nature of the media - chestnuts like acidic soil. I don't use normal pine nuggets. I get mine at Lowes. They also help the drainage and allow air to get to the roots. Oxygen is important just as moisture is!

You are headed on the right track - have fun on the journey.

Wayne

Back