Granny Smith Apples

Familytradition

I was wondering if anyone has used Granny Smith trees for wildlife. The late maturing apple time, the vigorousness of the tree, long hanging fruit, and shelf life seem like great fits. The disease resistance seems questionable.

I have 3 granny smiths on my place right now. However, they have not produced fruit yet. I really expect at least one of them will next year. I have seen some very mild CAR but no other disease on it so far.

todd

Granny will require some inputs and is far from a disease resistant apple. If you have it, make the best of it. If you are looking to add to your existing fruit trees, Goldrush will fill that same void. It ripens in mid-late October and requires only a couple sprays in spring for cedar apple rust. Goldrush is resistant to scab, powdery mildew, and handles fireblight pretty well.
I realize you will find granny smith for sale in the box stores, but ordering a few Goldrush is easy enough. Besides, ive learned that you cant trust tagged tree varieties from the box stores. They often turn out to be another variety.:rolleyes:
Also, Goldrush is a fantastic eating apple. :cool:

Liberty and goldrush are the backbone of my apple plantings at home and at the farm. Always looking for late apples to add. The farm I used to hunt had an orchard that had several old cider varieties; I would like to add some of those as well.

Liberty and goldrush are the backbone of my apple plantings at home and at the farm. Always looking for late apples to add. The farm I used to hunt had an orchard that had several old cider varieties; I would like to add some of those as well.

Best rootstock for those particular trees?

I use M111 at home. I'm partial to trees on seedling rootstocks in the woods; it just takes longer to get fruit. I think the rootstock really depends on your soil, zone, and your goals. I will say that there are guys better with apples than myself on here; that is why I asked the question.

Last edited:
Root stock choice is influenced by cold hardiness, soil type and size of the mature tree that you want. To a lesser extent root stock affects precociousness, age to bearing and resistance to some pests. There are well over a dozen commonly used root stocks used by commercial orchards. In the wildlife world the focus is primarily on B118 and M111.

Back