Got buckwheat ?

Buckwheat newbie question. Do deer eat it thru the summer or is it purely a cover crop to prep the area?

They don’t attack mine like they do peas, that’s for sure, but they do eat it. I think, from my experience, is that deer in different areas eat different things, maybe depending on what’s available to them. For instance, I’ve raised PTT and the deer never touched them, whereas on a place my son hunted just 30 miles away, they devoured them. On my place they had wheat and clover, on his they had anemic wheat and poor pine trees as it was an old gravel pit with no soil.

If I remember right, buckwheat was $58 for 50 lb. Red Ripper cowpeas were $55 for 50 lb. The mix was Whitetail Institute Power Plant that was on sale. I can’t remember what it cost, but around $60 for 50 lb. I think. I don’t buy too much in the way of BOB seeds, but this was a deal with some other seeds thrown in that I’ll use this fall and I kinda wanted to try the mix with Sunn Hemp in it to see what it would do.

I forgot that your seed prices always seemed high compared to most people’s prices. Must be a location thing.

My deer hammered my buckwheat when it started flowering but over than that they didn’t touch it much but the bees do love the stuff.

I forgot that your seed prices always seemed high compared to most people’s prices. Must be a location thing.

My deer hammered my buckwheat when it started flowering but over than that they didn’t touch it much but the bees do love the stuff.

My personal opinion for our high seed prices is that there is no ag in our part of the state, so anything we get is shipped from ag country to a middleman, (or two), before the end user gets it. My MRC seed came from Oregon. That’s just about as far as you can get from me and still be in the US of A. :)

My personal opinion for our high seed prices is that there is no ag in our part of the state, so anything we get is shipped from ag country to a middleman, (or two), before the end user gets it. My MRC seed came from Oregon. That’s just about as far as you can get from me and still be in the US of A. :)

But we do have fire ants , feral hogs, and an occasional sasquatch........

bill

Has anyone tried a buckwheat and millet mix as a dove attractant? I’ve got some left over japanese millet, will put the buckwheat in a week from now. It’ll be my first attempt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gave it a try in a lower lying area that commonly gets washed out. Both the buckwheat and jap millet are doing well. Kinda overpopulated though .
a2c3087be597f0737cada09a8dcb9009.jpg

This is one of several plots in a small area I’m using to try and attract doves for a shoot. Total is maybe over an acre. The wheat is almost ready to manipulate.

475f1931aae88f68d595581744ff3733.jpg

ad14d555112a5528001947800a3aa346.jpg

Another area of Japanese millet. The stuff grows very quickly. A little buckwheat sprinkled in on top.

f6980b1c3537f299ae2dc4e957536e89.jpg

I gave it a try in a lower lying area that commonly gets washed out. Both the buckwheat and jap millet are doing well. Kinda overpopulated though .
a2c3087be597f0737cada09a8dcb9009.jpg

This is one of several plots in a small area I’m using to try and attract doves for a shoot. Total is maybe over an acre. The wheat is almost ready to manipulate.

475f1931aae88f68d595581744ff3733.jpg

ad14d555112a5528001947800a3aa346.jpg

Another area of Japanese millet. The stuff grows very quickly. A little buckwheat sprinkled in on top.

f6980b1c3537f299ae2dc4e957536e89.jpg

Nice pictures. Is that an old grain elevator in the background?

I love a story with a happy ending.
That has got to make a huge difference for your wildlife populations.

I would like to think so but who knows. We aren’t seeing any turkey poults. I am seeing more rabbits but we are also hinge cutting for them, letting old hay fields grow in, planting spruce and shrubs, and had our property logged with the tree tops being left in tact. Whether it helps or not it’s a nice relationship to have and let a guy use our property to do something he loves. While maybe saving a deer/turkey/rabbit along the way.

I would like to think so but who knows. We aren’t seeing any turkey poults. I am seeing more rabbits but we are also hinge cutting for them, letting old hay fields grow in, planting spruce and shrubs, and had our property logged with the tree tops being left in tact. Whether it helps or not it’s a nice relationship to have and let a guy use our property to do something he loves. While maybe saving a deer/turkey/rabbit along the way.
No poults? Are there a lot of coons and possums around? And fisher cats...

No poults? Are there a lot of coons and possums around? And fisher cats...
No fisher cats but yes lots of raccoons and opossums. The trapper only caught 2 last year but he doesn’t target them. I found a guy with a coonhound but we never were able to meet up.

Dog proof traps for the coons. Coyote trapping, to be effective, is an ongoing affair. I trapped hard two years in a row on another place I had and I could see the results. I also never, but never, pass up a shot at one anytime I get the chance. Same with hogs. We have very few turkeys in East Texas and never will have because of the small varmints and hogs. TPWD has stocked Eastern turkeys here about three times now in three different ways, but they aren’t getting a foothold yet. Maybe someday.....

So far our buckwheat experience has been pretty sad. It was my understanding that it was like rye, would grow almost anywhere. I killed off the weeds in our small plots and broadcast buckwheat. Then of course Mother Nature decided to hold back on all rain so went in a couple weeks later and just a plant here and there. Rebroadcast buckwheat just hours before rain, then it rained on and off a few days. Checked on it this past weekend which was about a week after planting the second time and there are a few more plants than last time but certainly not a flourish of buckwheat! Will be planting for fall crops here in a few weeks so hopefully the buckwheat gets a bit of a head start.

Back