Gathering NWSG Seed

T-Max

Most of our NWSG is in full bloom right now. I'd like to gather some of this seed this fall to try a little experiment. Does anyone on here have an extensive knowledge of NWSG? When is the proper time to "harvest?" Is there a special tool to harvest with? I'm talking small scale. Maybe fill a 5 gallon bucket with seed. Thanks in advance.

I have just walked along a slid my hand up the seeds but you don't get much.I have heard of guys that used the old style combine to harvest seed

It should slide right off the head when ready, but check the seed to see if there's anything in it. Due to drought I haven't ever had viable seed on a 2008 planting!

Hands work well to strip the seed, wait till the stems turn or at least start to turn to collect. No rush on grass seed as they hang on for quite a while. I've collected big blue, indian, switch and little blue while deer hunting in mid November in northern MO.

That's the one positive I found about deer drives....all the native plants I could find to collect seed from.

Back