Fruit Trees for Spring 2018

Stevieray

I just reserved fruit trees that I plan on planting in the spring of 2018 with Turkey Creek Trees.

Fourteen Apple Trees: (2) each Enterprise, Liberty, Goldrush, Keener, Yates, Galarina and Tollman Sweet
Six Pear Trees: (2) each Kieffer, Sunrise and Potomac
Six Peach Trees: (2) each Redhaven, Garnett Beauty and Contender
Four Cherry Trees: (4) Blackgold

Chris at Turkey Creek Trees has been helpful in my selection of trees for Oklahoma.

Great choices! Any going in this year? Sometimes it's good to do a trial run to test your methods of planting, fencing, watering frequency, etc. I normally don't endorse trees from the big box stores, but might be worth getting one. Good luck!

You will be very happy with your trees and the customer service from Chris at Turkey Creek. Smart move planning ahead with him. I get so busy I am always sending him messages for orders last minute. But he always puts up with my procrastination and fixes me up.

I am starting to purchase the materials together for planting my orchard next spring.

1. Tree cages I will make from 48" welded wire fencing at 12.5' long, which will make a 4' diameter cage. I was going to secure with two t-post positioned at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock
2. Weed mats, not sure what to use, any suggestions?
3. Bark protection. Should I use the spiral tree wraps or aluminum screen material?

My next question has to do with feral hogs and will the tree cages be sufficient protection? Do any of you have feral hogs and fruit trees if so do they damage the trees. My thought was to build a 48" Tall welded wire fence around the orchard. That is an expense and effort I dont want to do unless I have to.

My turkey creek trees are growing great.I don't have hogs but if you have many you may want to use concrete wire instead of 2x4 welded.I would use luminite and window screen,just staple

I am starting to purchase the materials together for planting my orchard next spring.

1. Tree cages I will make from 48" welded wire fencing at 12.5' long, which will make a 4' diameter cage. I was going to secure with two t-post positioned at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock
2. Weed mats, not sure what to use, any suggestions?
3. Bark protection. Should I use the spiral tree wraps or aluminum screen material?

My next question has to do with feral hogs and will the tree cages be sufficient protection? Do any of you have feral hogs and fruit trees if so do they damage the trees. My thought was to build a 48" Tall welded wire fence around the orchard. That is an expense and effort I dont want to do unless I have to.
We have hogs. I'd try the cage around trees only and monitor once they're producing. You likely won't need the perimeter fence but never know

1. looks good...for #3, most here use aluminum screen. pretty easy and a one-time deal.

Don't secure to tree just wrap around and use a regular desk stapler to fasten edges together.I have had spiral tree wraps not expand and cut into tree
Thanks for the staple clarification, when you originally said staple I thought not to the tree.

My turkey creek trees are growing great.I don't have hogs but if you have many you may want to use concrete wire instead of 2x4 welded.I would use luminite and window screen,just staple
I purchased (30) 3' x 3' tree squares made of a woven poly material like Lumite online at Greenhouse Megastore for $1.20 each. Thanks for the information.

Back