Frost seeding???

Satguy

I planned on frost seeding ladino clover and chickory into my turnip/forage radish plot in March. Any pointers or previous experience out there?

I have had excellent luck frost seeding into turnip plots. March is when I do it here in NY. Ladino is a little slow to start, I would add some medium red clover to your mix. Only other thing I would add is I up the seed rates and go a little heavy with the seed when frost seeding.

broadcast on wet ground! The freezing and thawing cycle of the top layer of ground is what works the seed down and gets it covered. A good time is right before a very late snow of after a good late winter rain. I love frost seeding clover--works great!

broadcast on wet ground! The freezing and thawing cycle of the top layer of ground is what works the seed down and gets it covered. A good time is right before a very late snow of after a good late winter rain. I love frost seeding clover--works great!
Thanks for the info. I was just wondering if the leftover turnips and radishes would be an issue for the clover.

I have had excellent luck frost seeding into turnip plots. March is when I do it here in NY. Ladino is a little slow to start, I would add some medium red clover to your mix. Only other thing I would add is I up the seed rates and go a little heavy with the seed when frost seeding.
A little crimson will give you a jump start . You'll have succession. Crimson ,red ,ladino. quicker canopy. less weed competition.

Back