free daily satellite imagery

shedder

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Sent...ome..69i57j0.512j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/senti...5-01-01|2018-07-25&atmFilter=&showDates=false

"There's new free daily satellite imagery at Sentinel Hub Playground. It's not high resolution, but I think 10m pixel resolution. But you can see new forest harvests that happened yesterday for example. You can go back day by day too. "

A friend mentioned this today. I have looked at it a little and it seems useful. There is a lot to try on it. I can see the progression on cuts like he says, for example.

Yeah that is interesting. I've been hoping google earth updates the imagery over our property soon. It hasn't been updated since November 2013.

I used it, I can see the food plot I tilled up Saturday. It’s not updated on the plot I did Monday. The clarity was very poor, my woods looked like a green blob. I didn’t get a subscription just the trial. That might explain the poor quality?

Daily is misleading. More like weekly. The Playground viewer has layers like infrared, etc. that I found helpful.
This video shows how to pick out crops. I wouldn't doubt you can follow crop progression and health through drought and other stresses.
However, there is a lot more to it than the free viewer.

https://www.sentinel-hub.com/explore

Note the various options here.

EO Browser info, Requires a Free sign up for all features.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Sinergise/videos

There are lots of instructional videos that explain more. I haven't look at many but it seems capable of skinning the cat.

Quick tutorial on Sentinel Hub
Seems to to be the basic intro
It does a lot. I was lost through most it.

It's a great resource. Daily updates is a little misleading. Yes, they update with what they have acquired....but it's not the whole world! A couple spots I looked at have had two updates in the last 18-months. Think about a satellite speeding around the Earth making two laps a day. First, It can only cover a band. Second, one time its probably dark night and the other time its cloudy!
If you find updated photography for your rural area its a by-product of the acquisition process because, well, to put it bluntly, there's no commercial value in pictures of your food plot. What's going on In Syria is much more interesting.

Someone mentioned the picture quality. This is 10-meter resolution, meaning each pixel or dot that makes up the image covers a 10 meter area on the face of the EARTH.

Conversely, what you see on Google Earth is probably one meter or better (down to one foot). And, NO Goggle didn't acquire it. they just aggregate it. Nearly 100% of what you see on GE is in the public domain - somewhere.

If you see imagery on GE older than about two years, PM me and let me know what state and county. I'm not associated with Google Earth, but I can produce imagery that you can overlay on GE.

It's a great resource. Daily updates is a little misleading. Yes, they update with what they have acquired....but it's not the whole world! A couple spots I looked at have had two updates in the last 18-months. Think about a satellite speeding around the Earth making two laps a day. First, It can only cover a band. Second, one time its probably dark night and the other time its cloudy!

You seem familiar with the various GIS options. Do you recommend this one over others?

What will it do for me and what do I have to learn? It seems very technical.

I'd be more interested in hearing what YOU want to do with it? I'm too close to it and see all sorts of possibilities. I know everybody wants to see there place in real time, but I'm not so sure of the benefit. Really, I'm open to all ideas.

From a deer hunting and habitat perspective I want to see what the land use and land cover around me is all about. We make assumptions and believe we know, but I've encounterd too many people who want to tell me the picture isn't right! LOL here.

I want to see relief changes -- and, with a little practice, you can see it on 2D imagery - without the need for topos. Other than that?

Services like Sentinel are for the power and professional users. satellites have many sensors that capture multiple bands of light that are interpreted to draw conclusions about things like crop conditions. If we wanted to do an assessment of the corn crop in the Midwest, then Sentinel would be a great tool. Healthy corn gives off a spectrum of colors much different than one in distress. Could you use it to assess your crops? If you had enough acres, maybe, but you have to remember this 10 meter resolution. It takes a lot of pixels to make a picture.

I'd be more interested in hearing what YOU want to do with it?

Good question.

I am a heavy user of land image programs. I have 34 on my favorites list but I am not a GIS pro. There seems to be a great deal to it. Coding, bandwidth knowledge, lidar, etc.

So far, the most use I have got from the sentinel viewer is to compare snow days vs less or no snow. Snow reveals a great deal.

I hunt mostly big woods and cutting is the biggest change that happens quickly. I can tell the ages of cuts to a rough degree from infrared but it is confusing.

Parsing of vegetation density and composition is something I could use.

Water features, elev layers, are other possibilities. I can see a lot of this on other programs but getting all working in one program efficiently and clearly is missing. My heads spins trying to piece together maps from memory.

The GE imagery sux in my area.

Gosh! I don't know where to start! I'm happy for your interest. As you've discovered, the subject is complex and deep.
There are any number of free limited capacity GIS programs that would be extremely useful. Google Earth would be one of them. In my work I'm very involved with ESRI products. Google Earth I assume you know.

Here's a programs from ESRI
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/explorer

Another free favorite
https://qgis.org/en/site/

Pick one and get really good at it! It takes time and commitment.

One more thing for tonight. Imagery. Aerial Imagery.
There are almost too many sources today.

Most of it is on-line, but you have to use one of the programs above to view it. In the old days we loaded files into the programs. Today we make connections to image servers.

Let's focus on USDA NAIP (National Agricultural Imagery Program). Love it now because I don't know who much funding there will be in the future

NAIP Described:
https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-and-services/aerial-photography/imagery-programs/naip-imagery/

NAIP use instructions (it doesn't work tonight, but I think it a temporary server problem).
You can add this server connection to Google Earth, too.

To find other image servers GOOGLE (search) using the terms <<Your State Name>> high resolution orthoimagery rest service.
For example, Virginia high resolution orthoimagery.

So, focus is the key. Once you are find the imagery services you wish to use and know how to get a look at it, then move one to the next subject.....like Cropscape!

Back