Foxtail in clover

Worm

The foxtail has started growing like wildfire in my landino clover . I just sprayed with clethodim a couple of days ago . Im hoping the clethodim can knock back this nasty weed . I know that it can take 2 or 3 weeks to see results with the cleth . My only concern is that the foxtail will continue to grow for awhile and develop seed heads before the cleth takes effect . Will the clehodim still work if I mow the foxtail in a week or so ?
I have never seen any plant grow as fast as the foxtail on my place .
Any advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Worm

Just let the clethodim do it's job. Your Foxtail might already be dead, but it just doesn't look like it and it will not produce seed. In 3 weeks (not 2), you will know for sure and I wouldn't waste my time mowing it. I know, I hate waiting too! :)

Now, assuming you applied clethodim (at the right rate) and used crop oil, your foxtail will be dead, but it doesn't mean you won't have another generation germinate in a few weeks.

If you were to pull the center out of the foxtail, today, like the picture on the right and if the very bottom of that stem is brown, your foxtail is dead. The rest of the plant may still look green and healthy, but the plant is dead.Clethodim herbicide leaf pulls out_0.jpg

When I sprayed cleth on my clover this year I mixed in 3/4 oz per gallon of gly and had the result of the above picture in less than a week. I also used a surfactant. Your clover will rebound quickly from the light gly mix. At 10 days my grass (fescue) was brown to the stem. I waited the 10 days to mow but as FarmerD suggest you don't need to.

When I sprayed cleth on my clover this year I mixed in 3/4 oz per gallon of gly and had the result of the above picture in less than a week. I also used a surfactant. Your clover will rebound quickly from the light gly mix. At 10 days my grass (fescue) was brown to the stem. I waited the 10 days to mow but as FarmerD suggest you don't need to.

Thanks FarmerD and Jeff H
I sprayed 8 oz and 1 quart of surfactant per acre . I use around 20 gallons per acre .Patients is not one of my better traits but i will wait it out .Hopefully , I will get some decent results.
Thanks again guys !
Worm

Thanks FarmerD and Jeff H
I sprayed 8 oz and 1 quart of surfactant per acre . I use around 20 gallons per acre .Patients is not one of my better traits but i will wait it out .Hopefully , I will get some decent results.
Thanks again guys !
Worm

That will kill it.

I have always been too scared to try the light gly method on my clover.

I have a terrific patch of kura clover in its fourth year, and it is supposed to be very tolerant of gly. But the thought of accidentally killing kura that was hard to establish and could last decades is just too unnerving to me!

How often have you done this? Have you ever killed it off by accident?

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

This was 1st time. It was early May and the Clover was in great shape. The gly burnt the edges of some leaves, that was about it. No bare patches or anything. 3/4 oz per gal. Is pretty light.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've sprayed 1 quart per acre on 2 year old Durana and it came back as strong as before. I sprayed it when there was lots of moisture in the ground, in the spring, when the clover was thriving. You would not want to do it when the clover was stressed.

The Durana was hurt for a couple of weeks, but between the clover that was growing and the seed bank that had been established, the clover was better than before.

Another option, for you to consider is using a weed wiper. I do that regularly now, once the grasses and weeds get above the clover. It's a lot less stress on the clover and kills grasses and tall broad leaf weeds, all in one fell swoop.

It's not perfect, but I can get any member down at the hunt club, to put it on their 4 wheeler and do the job, with no worries on my part. The other advantage, is I can use cheap glyphosate, which I can buy almost anywhere, so the types of herbicides I need to keep down at camp is reduced. It's pretty slick and relatively fast and clean up is easy. Mine is 6 feet wide and fits on the front of the 4 wheeler.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wee...89PUAhUCXT4KHYqsCtMQ_AUICygC&biw=1600&bih=780

Back