Food plots and DNR

Vandy

In trying to expand business I thought I would go to local dnr office and ask about doing food plots for the DNR. Of coarse no one there that could help me but at least left info. Do any of you do work for the dnr? I thought I would just try to get on their list for recommended business's for people that get a cost share and need work done.

Nope - typically the DNR won't tell you who to hire to get work done. The ONLY thing I have seen our DNR do is list native seed suppliers. You may see if they have some sort of board where you can advertise your services at local USDA/NRCS offices and the like, but the DNR here tends to not promote the use of any particular service provider in any way shape or form. My DNR produces a rules and regulations guide that you could advertise in as well, but that is about it.

In trying to expand business I thought I would go to local dnr office and ask about doing food plots for the DNR. Of coarse no one there that could help me but at least left info. Do any of you do work for the dnr? I thought I would just try to get on their list for recommended business's for people that get a cost share and need work done.
What state are you in? In MN, the only work they do on public lands is promoting canary grass growth and removing woody cover and soft mast from public lands in farm country. They don't allow natural forage improvement, much less food plots.

I've received a list from my DNR Forrester of guys willing to do tsi for hire . She also had a list of guys that would pay for the tops left behind (firewood guys) after logging. I doubt that this was an official DNR list but just one that she had created over the years to better serve clients like me. I think you are on the right path and may just need to reach that right person. I'd talk to the private lands conservation agent(s) for the surrounding counties if your state has such a person. Missouri does. I'll bet they would be able to put you in touch with someone in need of help.
Good luck,
Jeff

When I did a share cost waterfowl project on my land the NRCS gave me a list of dozer workers but they wouldn't recommend a specific person. I called a few that were close by my property and picked the one I felt like had the most experience.

Thanks guys yeah I am just looking/trying to get on the list of recommended business's/people. I know they cannot recommend a specific person but to get on the list I think would be pretty sweet. I guess I'll just have to find these agents and maybe take them out to lunch or for some beers lol

Advertise anywhere you can. Local farm supply stores, local diners, the local paper, local equipment rental places and even with local conservation groups or hunt clubs.

Mail a flyer to owners out of a plat book for where you want to work. Start with 50 and see what you get. Probably cost you $40 and a couple hours time.

That's how I built my business in college. Didn't have money, but I had time and the ability to direct market to exactly who I wanted to work for.

The DNR may have info on CRP plantings, Prairie restoration, or Timber stand improvement, and possibly invasive removal like buckthorn or autumn olive. Generally wildlife feedplots are not a sustainable habitat, but a short term temporary food source, thus outside the DNR scope. Perhaps you could approach the field work from a different angle?

Back