Food Plot Diagrams

Buck268

Would like to start a thread on food plot diagrams and strategy.
Here's my plots and what I've planted, I'd love to hear others opinions on what you'd try planting.
Plot 1: new area I worked up last year and planted in winter wheat to get OM started and choke out weeds.
Plot 2: 1/2 acre in clover, 2 acres in PPT and Radishes, remainder was in oats
Plot 3: All in oats in the spring and winter wheat for the fall
Plot 4: mowed field, going to plant this year

Overview.jpg

Check out pics on my property thread of you wish. I broke my place up into 3 sections for hunting. As such I tried to create a bedding/sanctuary area as well as a feeding area for each section. I put perennial plots with nut and fruit trees right next to my annual plots of corn/beans and then over seed brassica and cereal grains. This creates a nearly year round food source in one spot and I don;t have to worry about which food source the deer are focusing on. This also then creates some need for movement come the rut as well. It isn't perfect.....not by a long shot, but it fits my situation as my property is mostly open corn and bean field with only small pieces of cover scattered about or in long narrow strips. I don;t think I have a single plot over an acre. With the surplus of ag in my area - food is not an issue.....I simply try to have something available for when the harvest is over. Cover is king in my area.

Check out pics on my property thread of you wish. I broke my place up into 3 sections for hunting. As such I tried to create a bedding/sanctuary area as well as a feeding area for each section. I put perennial plots with nut and fruit trees right next to my annual plots of corn/beans and then over seed brassica and cereal grains. This creates a nearly year round food source in one spot and I don;t have to worry about which food source the deer are focusing on. This also then creates some need for movement come the rut as well. It isn't perfect.....not by a long shot, but it fits my situation as my property is mostly open corn and bean field with only small pieces of cover scattered about or in long narrow strips. I don;t think I have a single plot over an acre. With the surplus of ag in my area - food is not an issue.....I simply try to have something available for when the harvest is over. Cover is king in my area.
That's a great story and even better accomplishment, wish I owned my lease. One of my To-Do lists this winter is to do some hinge cutting and I need to get my butt in gear before spring gets here, of course it's been 70 deg the last 2 days and snow tomorrow Go Figure.

That's a great story and even better accomplishment, wish I owned my lease. One of my To-Do lists this winter is to do some hinge cutting and I need to get my butt in gear before spring gets here, of course it's been 70 deg the last 2 days and snow tomorrow Go Figure.
I had a screwy January here with freezing temps one weekend and short sleeve shirt weather the next. I just got 5 gallons of gas last night to hit the woods with a saw. For as much as I feared a chainsaw early in my habitat days - it's my favorite tool now. Folks tend to focus on the glam of food plots and they have their place......and is often how folks get the habitat bug.

I would also suggest looking at all the other land threads as well. Most of them are far better than mine. Lots of good info there and you can maybe even find someone close to your area and see how they do their thing as well.

Back