Feeling disgusted and camp buck

Some of you have read the feeling disgusted post back in early November. About the buck I hit high and never got.
Well, as stated in that post I was sure it was an 8ptr. When that buck came in, it came from right to left out if some thick saplings. It made a turn and came from the left to right and stopped to check the scrape at 15 yards in front of me. When I first seen him come from the thick, I knew he was totally big enough to shoot. I seen high tines and several on the other side. I figured it was symmetrical. I never looked at his head again. Just drew back and waited for the shot. And as the story went, hit high and never found him.
So now if you look at my buddies buck that I posted under "camp buck", look high up above the shoulder. Follow my buddy's knee down. You notice a nice puffed up spot? Yup, a nice scar and a squishy or puss filled sack under the hide. And it happens to be at the same spot and same side I hit him. Now I can't 100% say its the same deer because I didn't study the head. But I'm awefully sure this is the same deer. And if it is, I'm glad he made it instead of dying under a downed tree without being found. The down side, I wish he would be on my wall. But if anyone else shot him, I'm glad it was my buddy.

Shot one earlier this year and the exit is just off the knuckle on the off side shoulder. Couldn't find the deer and didn't find enough blood to cover the palm of my hand over the 175 yards I was able to follow. Two weeks later he shows back up on the same plot. Looked a lot thinner and had the hole on the low shoulder and if we didn't get the pics I thought all along he was just lost. I have absolutely no idea how a deer could be shot where this one was and not be stone dead inside 120 yards much less not bleed enough to cover an I phone screen. Sometimes weird crap happens that there is just no way to explain.

Glad y'all got yours on the second go around.

Some of you have read the feeling disgusted post back in early November. About the buck I hit high and never got.
Well, as stated in that post I was sure it was an 8ptr. When that buck came in, it came from right to left out if some thick saplings. It made a turn and came from the left to right and stopped to check the scrape at 15 yards in front of me. When I first seen him come from the thick, I knew he was totally big enough to shoot. I seen high tines and several on the other side. I figured it was symmetrical. I never looked at his head again. Just drew back and waited for the shot. And as the story went, hit high and never found him.
So now if you look at my buddies buck that I posted under "camp buck", look high up above the shoulder. Follow my buddy's knee down. You notice a nice puffed up spot? Yup, a nice scar and a squishy or puss filled sack under the hide. And it happens to be at the same spot and same side I hit him. Now I can't 100% say its the same deer because I didn't study the head. But I'm awefully sure this is the same deer. And if it is, I'm glad he made it instead of dying under a downed tree without being found. The down side, I wish he would be on my wall. But if anyone else shot him, I'm glad it was my buddy.
Good ending to a bum situation. Whitetails are tough. Old whitetail bucks are tougher ;)

You got that right Fish. Shot the buck in my picture a couple weeks ago. Never had any deer take a bullet from that gun and not drop dead on the spot. He took it like a champ, ran until his antlers got tangled up in some trees before he finally gave it up. Gutted him out and he didn't have hardly any heart left from the shot.

You got that right Fish. Shot the buck in my picture a couple weeks ago. Never had any deer take a bullet from that gun and not drop dead on the spot. He took it like a champ, ran until his antlers got tangled up in some trees before he finally gave it up. Gutted him out and he didn't have hardly any heart left from the shot.
My Dad wrote an article many years back...... Big Bucks Die Hard. He chronicled some of our experiences tracking down old bucks after the shot. Less than perfect shots mind you. But it was obvious younger deer and does had none of their stamina. Amazing stuff really.

Back