Fall mix seed rate

DIY

A few months ago I saw an interesting pasture blend that was on sale for half off. I was intrigued by the combination, so I bought a bag. It's a 20 lb bag that says it will seed 1 acre, but I'm wondering if a 1/2 acre would be more appropriate for a broadcast food plot. Here's the breakdown:

7 lbs Winter Wheat
4 lbs Sainfoin
3 lbs Alfalfa
2 lbs Ladino Clover
2 lbs Small Burnet
1 lb Chicory
1 lb Forage Radish

Does that look like it would be enough for a 1-acre food plot? I was thinking maybe add some Oats or Winter Rye to get better coverage for the season.

I guess if all the seed (or 90%) of it germinated it would be ok. Generally, (generally) simply broadcasting seed and doing nothing else cuts germination percentages in half - or more.

I guess if all the seed (or 90%) of it germinated it would be ok. Generally, (generally) simply broadcasting seed and doing nothing else cuts germination percentages in half - or more.

I have a full complement of ATV food plotting equipment that I will be using on the plot, so germination should be pretty decent. I've noticed seed suppliers frequently recommend 1 seed rate for drilled seed and a higher seed rate for broadcast seed. I don't have a drill, so will be broadcasting.

I think I will take Buckeye's advice and include about 25 lbs each of oats and rye.

Back