Fall food plots

Buckeye

Well it's getting that time of year to be thinking about what to plant this fall. I been planting plots for the last six years and always bounce back and forth on what to plant. I buy all my seed from local feed store and sometimes from Welter Seed and I mix my own. So my question is what's your go to plot seed and if you mix your own what seed do you mix.

No experience with it yet, but if we get some rains, my fall mix will be 60lbs of oats, 20lbs AWP, and 2.5lbs of collards, in early August and then about the middle or 3rd week I'll over seed with a bushel of rye.

My beans will get some radishes, PTT, and collards, and my corn will get rye, unless I decide to sow some switchgrass on that plot, if I don't plant the switch, I'll roll down the rye next spring for beans, and put corn where my beans were.
Also I've got a tiny patch of a BOB clover mix to go in this fall too

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Well it's getting that time of year to be thinking about what to plant this fall. I been planting plots for the last six years and always bounce back and forth on what to plant. I buy all my seed from local feed store and sometimes from Welter Seed and I mix my own. So my question is what's your go to plot seed and if you mix your own what seed do you mix.
Mark for later

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dbltrees's cereal grain mix planted last of Aug first of Sept.
60-80# rye
60-80# oats
25# peas
20# sunflowers
3-5# radishes
8-10# red clover
3-5# hairy vetch

No experience with it yet, but if we get some rains, my fall mix will be 60lbs of oats, 20lbs AWP, and 2.5lbs of collards, in early August and then about the middle or 3rd week I'll over seed with a bushel of rye.

My beans will get some radishes, PTT, and collards, and my corn will get rye, unless I decide to sow some switchgrass on that plot, if I don't plant the switch, I'll roll down the rye next spring for beans, and put corn where my beans were.
Also I've got a tiny patch of a BOB clover mix to go in this fall too

Never tried "collards" is it a type of Brassica

I am planting a 1/4 brassica plot this weekend to see how it does. It will be the earliest I've tried brassicas but figured what the heck. We dont hunt these plots real heavy, hoping to provide some wait winter food for the deer. I'm using Northwood whitetails and Grandpa Rays brassica mixes. (The plot is pretty low and has good moisture, maybe too much) For the other plots and I trying to build the OM, the farmer mowed them last week. I am going to be replanting winter rye, winter peas, oats, clover and brassicas. I get all of these seeds from Deer Creek seeds, a local seed supplier. Will mow/weed whip the clover plots for the 2nd time in August and then wait until the bow opener in September.

Yes, it's a forage type brassica, so it puts out alot of top growth without much of a bulb, it can withstand dairy heavy grazing and might over winter here.
It also has to go through a period of cold before it bolts, so if you planted it in the spring it could produce all year.

Real World's Deadly Dozen - Winter Wheat, Winter Oats, Rye, Austrian Winter Peas, Tillage Radish, Purple Top Turnip, Rape Plus, Sugar Beets,Forage Collards, Impact Forage Collards, Crimson Clover, Oil Seed Radish. Or for bigger plots just mix Real World Harvest Salad and Plot Topper in same plot. Deadly Dozen is $24.99 a 1/4 acre, or Plot Topper $27.00 a 1/2 Acre and Harvest Salad $50 an Acre. I mix a bag of Harvest salad and a jug of Plot Topper. Cost is $77 an acre doing it this way. I am sure you could do this mix on your own but I like Real World's products and it is just easier to grab and go and I feel better knowing I have the right mixture every time.

Real World's Deadly Dozen - Winter Wheat, Winter Oats, Rye, Austrian Winter Peas, Tillage Radish, Purple Top Turnip, Rape Plus, Sugar Beets,Forage Collards, Impact Forage Collards, Crimson Clover, Oil Seed Radish. Or for bigger plots just mix Real World Harvest Salad and Plot Topper in same plot. Deadly Dozen is $24.99 a 1/4 acre, or Plot Topper $27.00 a 1/2 Acre and Harvest Salad $50 an Acre. I mix a bag of Harvest salad and a jug of Plot Topper. Cost is $77 an acre doing it this way. I am sure you could do this mix on your own but I like Real World's products and it is just easier to grab and go and I feel better knowing I have the right mixture every time.
Have you ever tried to throw and mow with this combo?

I wanted to try Real Worlds Deadly Dozen this way, but wasn't sure how it would do.

Bowhunter - Yes I have and was very successful last fall with a throw and mow. If your area you are throw and mowing is not overly thick you can even get away with just spraying seeding and let the vegetation fall and lay on the seed. I had good luck in a couple of areas I didn't have time to get the bush hog to by doing this. I planted about 15 acres of what is now the Deadly Dozen last year it was just Plot Topper and Harvest Salad. Real World was asked to bag this in a smaller retail 1/4 acre bag that customers could just grab and go with. This is where the idea for Deadly Dozen came from.

Bowhunter - Yes I have and was very successful last fall with a throw and mow. If your area you are throw and mowing is not overly thick you can even get away with just spraying seeding and let the vegetation fall and lay on the seed. I had good luck in a couple of areas I didn't have time to get the bush hog to by doing this. I planted about 15 acres of what is now the Deadly Dozen last year it was just Plot Topper and Harvest Salad. Real World was asked to bag this in a smaller retail 1/4 acre bag that customers could just grab and go with. This is where the idea for Deadly Dozen came from.
Nice! I have a local Real World dealer and thought I would give the Deadly Dozen a try. Like you had mentioned, I think I can get the seed cheaper from my local co-op and mixing it myself, but with an 11 month old son now, anything to save me a little time is huge.

Just planted a mix of beets, Rutabagas and Winfred (ordered from Deer Creek and self mixed). Planning on a LC brassica mix in 3 weeks, and a modified LC grain mix for labor day (substitute chicory for peas/radish).

Last edited:
Wheat and Co-op white clover. Not very expensive, and between the two, they provide wildlife food and cover from late September until the end of July. Deer and turkeys eat both the wheat and the clover vegetation. Turkeys eat the wheat seeds, and will nest and bug with poults in the standing dead wheat. Deer will use the standing dead wheat for fawning cover. Doves eat the wheat seeds during the summer so it keeps them around until September. The clover is high protein food for deer when they are growing antlers and nursing fawns.

Fall plots are a LC mix of rye, oats, radish, red and white clover, with chicory instead of peas, most years. (The peas just get wiped out a few weeks after germinating.) I may substitute triticale for rye on our less sandy ground, since it seemed to do very well last year.

The only time I buy a "named" mix, or BOB seed, is when it's on sale from last year. It doesn't work any different, it just puts the extra money you pay for it in the retailer's pocket. I'd rather see that money go to a farmer's co-op.

Back