Faintly you came tapping, tapping. Nevermore

dogghr

Have you guys ever seen this? My Golden’s were loaded as usual this year with apples. I always have deer coming in stealing some they could reach before drop time. And first time this year I watched Ravens eating on fallen apples the tree had aborted.
But I just saw that every single apple is gone from my trees. No sign of them anywhere. And just a few weeks before their ripening. I’m assuming those Ravens picked them clean. Certainly seen more of them than usual but never in the 25 years of having these trees have I’ve seen this.
fc958029fd5e2368b462b13505fb69b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly the coons came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my apples' door,
but I woke not and continued to snore......

But the illusive raven - feeling that his life was worth saving,
Dared not rap for fear of a dirt nap, after the pop of the muzzleloader cap.

Coons, possums, crows, squirrels get every piece of fruit my apple, peach, and plum trees produce. I no longer plant trees.

I too have seen ravens (or crows) eat apples. Last year was the first time I really paid attention and they were in that tree every day for a about a week and picked it clean. For some reason they spent a ton or time in a particular tree? These are just your plain jane scrub apple trees, nothing I planted. But I thought it was very odd that a crow would eat an apple??????

I've always have coons, possums, squirels but they have never gave me much issue with the apples here. Deer will stand up and pick them worse than anything. It was just amazing that there were not even crumbs left on the ground. My mouth had been watering for these to ripen as they are the sweetest best tasting apples I've ever had and do can well also. I have been known to do some shooting from back deck of certain rascals but adjacent neighbors in my subdivision not too impressed with that. Not sure why crows and ravens are to prevalent this year but I do know residential hawk has been MIA this year. He needs to come back and restore law and order.

There is one thing about crows and ravens - given them one good scare and you are probably okay for the rest of the growing season. Just the sound of a gunshot while they are close is all it takes. Then they will set off 500 yards and squawk about it but won't risk taking lead.

However, you could shoot the leg off of a coon or squirrel and he would be back the next day for more.

I have about 20 huge native pecan trees. The crows insure a pecan never touches the ground. I can hunt them everyday for a week and they are right back in the trees an hour after I am gone. Hanging their dead carcasses from the limbs seems to help some.

There is one thing about crows and ravens - given them one good scare and you are probably okay for the rest of the growing season. Just the sound of a gunshot while they are close is all it takes. Then they will set off 500 yards and squawk about it but won't risk taking lead.

However, you could shoot the leg off of a coon or squirrel and he would be back the next day for more.
I like your poetry answers better Native, more entertaining and require deeper thot. Buddy just came by and he said hes been watching young turkey pluck his apples and pears. Turkey pop is way up this year, but i'm still blamming the ravens. Put Owl decoy out last night to protect the other trees I hope. If not, neighbors will just have to put in ear plugs and ignore the 22. . I've shot groundhogs and squirrels off my place with bow before but not sure I can still hit a raven that way. I think I'm the last of the hunters left in this sub, which is wierd in such a hunting state.

Back