Egyptian wheat....mowing.....planned grazing

How big of a herd are you going to get? I didn't know you got into AI cattle which with the price of registered bulls I can understand why. I've actually been kicking around the ideal of selling what I have and buying some registered cows myself and and AI (which we've been doing for the last couple of years) to sell registered cattle. A lot more money to be had but also somewhat of a pain to keep weaned bulls since we are not set up the best for that.

Grandpup looks like he's growing like a weed!!

Custom herd was gone when I got here.

20-30 hd price dependent....have set amount willing to put at risk.

Correct.....I prefer natural service for many reasons.....but those 20-30 cows have to pay bull cost....most decent bull are $3-5k But for the cost per head to AI and use a loaner bull temporary will be less or a wash.....the risk of loaner is dehabilitating injury where u would pay sire value less salvage value. you also have to consider logistics of a bull pen and feeding 2 more AU for 320 d while he isn't working and is bored looking for trouble. The disadvantage is loss of a dominant male in the herd dynamic. The advantage is faster herd genetic improvement.

My BIL is certified AI if he wants to do it....or can bring in a tech....lodging provided at cabin with AC/fridge/microwave....shower at house and 1/2 meals covered.

1/2 commercial and half registered herd gives you many marketing options in case one side of market tanks. More capital is at risk with straight registered. I would focus on heritage breeds or new composite purebreeds for sake of demand......Angus are dime a dozen and lots of competition out there. If you were set on Angus then might look at Circle A ranch program on MO....you use their genetics, follow their protocols, and they buy back calves at variable premium over market.....kinda like a Tyson chicken contract.

On way to soil sample for client.....passed a herd of belties which would do good in my program....some are used in grass finishing....small frame....and carry our family name!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always have a smile when I'm reading your cattle analysis. Sounds like you have a good year ready to happen.
Grandpup pic is awesome. Kinda has my hair. :) I bet he learns the farm quick.

Kinda like a motorcycle....you know what you want when u see it but description is hard. Need to take one more look at them in 2 weeks for soundness etc.

Soil sampled about 70 ac late this eve.....available moisture was below 2" but not enough to support active new growth for very long. Prolly 6+" below avg as I type this....so there is risk of summer drought in 2017. Good chance of rain early next week....80F and windy tomorrow...then cooling down Sun.....we need at least an inch! That should lift burn bans.....except on red flag days.

I was pleased with soil quality in the client field....came a long way since 2013 when started....topsoil depth has doubled and biological activity increased markedly....manure turnover has accelerated with evidence of summer dung beetle activity. Owner finally listened and let owned meadows go without cutting for one year...makes a huge difference....a3 ur rotation would be even better!

Ranch foreman came by to see who was in field....told him perennial forage coverage was real good and heifers looked nice.....his only comment was weeds and a hell bent determination to spray this year. Weeds are in reasonable density within 100 yards of road but middle and back of field are clean. Typical cattlemen right there.....wake up every day as a serial killer!

Yep grandson is growing and at that stage where personality develops....in 6 months he will have more hair than you! Lol

Finally had some time to look up Circle A Ranch genetics. Some of those genetics have been used for many years.

Did you decide what herd you were getting?

Couldn't find anything really good locally except Vanilla Wafers....so called a well versed grass fed expert....and the cookie jar was soon filled with Oreos!

Yes we have a winner...all fall calvers....16 red angus 3n1s coming 3 yo out of 5L and Burnett Ranch bloodlines (see webpages) with heavy influence from Choctaw Chief, The Right Kind, and Tradesman sires or their sons....and a handful of black angus bred heifers out of Tim Ohlde line (see webpage) and bred to sons of latter two red sires above. Heavy maternal EPDs with moderate growth. Fleshy med frame cows with grass efficiency and marbling/tenderness genes.

I go see them in SE IA Friday to check feet eyes udders disposition, visit with herdsman about management protocol, and leave an earnest check. Arrival is planned for 20 March.

That is sooner than I wanted but they need to make room for spring heifers and I didn't want to let this opportunity slide....right genetics, right management, hot wire broke, and right price. This is preferred genetics for grass finishing and certified organic beef.

Custom cattle were gone 9 Feb.....pastures will have minimum clean out time of 42 days which is sufficient for most common pests/pathogens this time of year.

Been crazy busy....getting final prep on burn unit, vball in 3 states, scheduling contractors, prep for new cattle arrival, and all the BS of a day job.

3" of rain fell in last 2 week and highs hitting in the 80s manifested in the earliest spring flush I have ever seen! Most water went into soil but pond levels did rise a few inches...so we have decent stock water.

Found a couple more sheds from the truck seat......but haven't taken time to mess with deer....turkey are getting more vocal but in large groups. We have a fire bug in the area who burned off 800 ac with his 5th fire off county road.....local wildlife should benefit for a couple years.

Picked up an Arrow Eqip 6100 chute last week from Stillwater Milling in Claremore OK....they have Arrow, Pearson, Priefert and Sioux City chutes side by side for one to compare....chose 6100 based on simplicity, cost, and ease of use. Amston livestock scale should be here next week (check out on eBay).
fe9265c5efb90d888ca244dc615ea1a9.jpg

Took off head gate in background and cut out 8.5' of alley with portable bandsaw from Harber Freight (impressive for low cost).....dug out and put in a 10x10' frame with wire for concrete pad....will pour in a week.
e78bba0dcdb400eda138317ebfb1e864.jpg

If you have a welder which will handle 2" 11 ga tubing and sine time to weld, I could use some help building a round bale unroller????

Looks like you have been doing a lot of work and spending a lot of money but it will be worth it to have your own herd. Looks like some good genetics in the new herd also. March 20th will be here before you know it and it sounds like a long road trip ahead.

I found one small shed this weekend in a foodplot but after pulling cards all of the bigger ones are still holding. I haven't had time to actually get out and look for the horns.

I understand about all the BS of the day job but the good news is my supervisor is retiring the first of June and if all goes as plan I will fill the position. Only time will tell.

If you can wait till after the first of May I should be free enough to help on the welding project but right now I'm super busy at work, kids and helping dad demolition an old four bay shed/shop so he can get a new 30 x 60 shed built with concrete floor and overhead garage doors. He definitely likes the free help.

The next time I get home before dark I will take a pic of our hay bale unroller but it's different than what's normally built. It's basically a three point hay spear with a hydraulic motor that drives a sprocket by a chain that rotates the stinger to unroll the bale. If you follow? Dad got it gave to him from a friend but I had to do a little work on it and replace the hoses.

Sure there is some expense.....but a long term investment say 30+ years....that is the best place to spend money. Good chute is also an insurance policy......dealing with animals (even docile ones) 2-5x your weight can lead to severe injury....I can't afford the time being laid up for an injury. Your kids could run this chute....I think you would like it! And....the better cattle flow and easier they work the less stress you have....that pays in spades for animal health.

Figured you were swamped just looking at all that is going on around here......pray you get the promotion.

Well....you really never left the farm so he never had to deal without help. My kids have their own agendas so labor can be an issue.

I've seen those unwinders before seem nice.

It will take about $50 in materials to build one for ATV.....if it is dry can also use truck or tractor. I'll probably draw up plans and have Ozark or the UA kids weld it for me. Want to use it when cattle come in to make sure it works well in advance of next winter...leaves plenty of time for any tweaks..

How Often Should You Conduct Prescribed Burns?
https://www.noble.org/news/publicat...to-conduct-prescribed-burns/?utm_source=email

It is worth reading that article a couple of times to adsorb the information. You can think of this type of fire management as 'adaptive or flexible prescribed burning'. Under that context, one needs to consider ALL native plants not just the status of woody species....and weather patterns which the article addresses....not to mention other factors in a holistic context like labor, people, social and environmental concerns. The article does not address NWSG or forb needs in terms of fire return interval...and this is what we actually want for wildlife and what you should actually be monitoring! I have found that the fire interval favoring brush reduction may not be so adequate for vigor and biomass potential of NWSG.

I am not going to cover forbs again (did that a few pages back), because it is quite easy to do that simply with a couple 'boot toe transects' across the unit, counting forb abundance/diversity every 3-5 steps, and recording results on a note pad....DURING the growing season! Do that during turkey season while walking/scouting/hunting...and the birds are 'closed lipped'...weather is nice....enjoy the time!

For properties where there are no grazing livestock or areas where livestock can't/rarely access or where mowing cannot be employed (in other words, no disturbance other than fire to renew new plant growth is viable), one should monitor NWSG crowns late winter. Very timely to do this while you are prepping fire guards and need to take a water break! Now is ideal time, especially with above average warmth over most of the country which prompts early dormancy break of NWSG. Are you just looking at plot growth and not your NWSG?

Carefully peel the old senescent leaves and stems back from NWSG crowns and start looking for short new green shoots growing from the crown......these 1 or 2 leafed shoots will become new upright biomass for the upcoming growing season. Look at each NWSG species separately because each species has a different crown architecture and growth curve....and thus a different disturbance requirement/return interval. Consider the year of last fire and decide what fire return interval you need for your property under your conditions based on YOUR NWSG....and consider the specie of NWSG you want to promote! Make a visual count/estimate of the number of new tillers present vs the amount of old senescent tillers present! This ain't rocket science so don't make it out to be rocket science! If you have < 30% new tillers of total new and old tillers present in the NWSG crowns, then you will have < 30% of that species biomass potential for the upcoming growing season. If you have >50% new tillers of all new and old tillers present, then you should have normal biomass potential in the upcoming growing season. Remember, the highest biomass potential of NWSG occurs postfire where all senescent material was removed and the entire crown is exposed to sunlight and all shoots present are green.75% of yield (plant density and height) potential for the upcoming season will be determined by rainfall, soil water storage capacity and other factors related to 'site' during the growing season. The other 25% of yield come from growing conditions the prior year (mainly subsoil water status).

Why is this important?

For too long managers have focused on what we don't want (eg brush encroachment in rangeland). Rather than the health, density and vigor of plants we are trying to promote! Is it not the health, vigor, density, height and proper management of NWSG plants which actually suppress brush in rangeland long term? How are you going to suppress brush without having other more competitive native species to replace the space where brush resides? Is it not an issue of competition among native plant species for the resources of space, soil, water, sun and air? IF NWSG capture the lion share of available resources, won't we promote those NWSG over brush long term? Do you have more brush suppressing potential with <30% or >50% new tillers in the NWSG crown? These questions are what one should ponder when seeking the 'optimum' rangeland composition/health/management for his land....long term.

In rainfall zones >30" annual, the potential for woody species growth always exists...accept that excess rainfall favors brush. And accept that no herbicide has eradicated brush at landscape scale. In most cases, proper prescribed fire use retards brush prevalence in the long term. In the short and medium term, fire may promote more brush until dormant nodes on brush root crowns have been exhausted of stored energy and die. Herbicide treatment of woody species can reduce brush density short and medium term, but not long term because of rainfall amount and climate which favor brush. The function of a woody specie root crown is to store energy for growth of new/existing sprouts/stems. Only when that energy store/flow is diverted to NWSG, will brush abundance be reduced to favor NWSG....long term.

Remember, when you wipe the soil surface clean with fire, ALL plants both new (from seed or rhizome) and existing perennial have equal opportunity for use of soil, water, light and air. The initial flush of short term new growth is tremendous both in terms of diversity, biomass and wildlife habitat potential. But the medium term outcome shifts according to competition among plant types for available resources and animal density effects on plant prevalence/persistence. The long term outcome of the landscape therein depends upon the amount of species present (NWSG vs brush) mid term, the flow of energy through the entire system, and species persistence during stress which management, climate and animal desnity create!

Unless you count new vs suppressed stump sprouts post fire, then you will never know brush reduction status with prescribed fire......that is easy enough to monitor while you are taking a water break during post-fire timber thinning! Just don't spend undue time monitoring what you don't want (reductionist thinking). Spend more time monitoring and managing for the health/vigor/density/growth of species you want to promote and what you don't want will fade over time...long term! Evaluate the whole by monitoring all the parts!

+

Took a ride today and thot of your farm as I passed herds by the thousands that had really cranked out the calves the last few weeks. I'm sure this mild weather for much of Feb has helped with % success with their calving. Most I saw today were black Black Angus, which is one of the 3 most prevalent in this area. Even the sheep farms seemed to be getting a jump start this year. I've worked sheep farms before and really don't like them. They are the only animal that as soon as they are born are constantly looking for a way to die. :( With frequent mild snows mixed with warm temps, the fields are starting to get an early start on green up which is a plus in this area. Hope you are getting your cattle in line and spoiling that baby a good bit. Had Bday event yesterday for the 6 yo. Sure goes fast.

Trying to get stuff ready for cattle arrival.....so taking the time to blow/weedeat breaks and pull out the last few items now before burning. That will free up next couple weeks for cattle stuff. Pretty good early growth on switchgrass which will give you an idea of growing conditions.
fd184bf0c4045eccf140ea87b32d427a.jpg

Yes sheep can have hardiness issues....or folks use the same lambing pasture every year and parasite loads are high and affect thriftiness.

The cattle are coming out of SE IA just across MO border. That is a big sheep county so these cattle have gotten past ovine pinkeye this year and we got to select those with good eyes. That is a good thing! Went down Thur eve through Fri night. Made down payment on 15 red Angus bred pairs, 5 black Angus, and 2 Murray Grays......marked a few more on list in case some don't preg check. The body type on the grays was outstanding.....would have like to pick a few more but Neb origin, eye scars and flat feet were concerns. Origin of Reds is from Burnett Ranch in KS and SC on the blacks.

Hey D, I just wandered over here and caught up on your thread. Congrats on the grandkid and volleyball championship! Also, can't wait to see how things change with your own herd. Exciting times!

Travis...nice to see you around! Times here are good and very busy....grandpup is in eat, sleep, grow mode....starting to laugh now!

Most have probably noticed a nice flush of cool season cover crop growth with this warm trend and are thinking about how best to manage that for spring planting. Perhaps one is also thinking about how this relates to animal nutrition as well. Although, it may seem nutrition for the animal is optimum....such is not true....all above ground available forage is 'washy' at this point in time (March). Think about this for a moment.....brown stockpile from last season has been leached of most minerals and nutrients through winter rains, energy remains available but locked in fiber....the short tender green growth is mostly water with low mineral content, soluble protein is in excess, and low energy...most energy of the green plant is still in the roots! Animal manure becomes loose and animals may appear heat stressed due to excess rumen ammonia. The animal will use a combination of brown and green to balance the diet very well, if both are available. Animals will use trace mineralized salt and supplement if available. Keep in mind the best of the spring flush has yet to come where cereal grains can literally grow 4 inches in height per night! At the boot stage of forage growth (seed head is just about to emerge from stem), mineral content markedly increases, protein is in balanced with energy and the forage is high energy due to presence of sugars and starches in leaves. Animals should shed winter hair coat at this point, begin showing a deep gut appearance, and put on tremendous body condition as fat...provided the animal is healthy!. March is nice 'eye candy' but April-May is the 'real deal' for the animal, the cool season plant, and soil life!

How does that relate to terminating cover crops without herbicide? You need to understand plant growth if you are going to effectively manage plants or shifts of plant types! Either with grazing, rolling or mowing, terminating a cover crop requires the management step be implemented at the precise time when the foliage is high in energy above ground and low in energy in the roots (ie early to mid seed head stage). Some will terminate easily and some grow back modestly....all depends on the plant specie and root character. When timed properly, the impacted plant simply doesn't have the energy reserves and time to recover before it is overwhelmed with new warm season forage growth (either present or planted). The article highlights that scenario in a general farmer manner!

Magic cover crop carpet?
https://www.agronomy.org/science-news/magic-cover-crop-carpet

Doug,

What are your thoughts/strategy/timing/feasability/etc on "throw and roll" spring planting after fall cereal rye?

I don't have access to a drill

thanks,

bill

Bill,

Folks doing that with success sow seed then mow a couple times...progressively lower each time and with even thatch spread. Good moisture is key. If just sowing and rolling wait until rye is dough stage, sow and roll twice before good rain....up seeding rate 30-50% over drilled rate.

Need to drill some spring mix and sow NWSG grass in the 'land of mowed thorns' but will have to wait 10 days when I'll have more time.

Good luck, Bill....you should PM CnC.

A couple weeks ago, the 011 leaked gas into the oil tank....that calls for a complete tear down to put in new crankcase gaskets. Won't have time to do that till summer...so emptied the tanks and tossed it in a box in garage. Kinda sux too as I had just purchased a new 16" bar, sprocket and new type 4 piece clutch assembly for it. Looked on eBay and found this slick little 011....chatted with seller and found out he had went through saw....rebuilt carb and replaced fuel lines and it ran well...hit Buyitnow and a few days later it arrived. Bar is 14" refurb....chain is well used semi-chisel.....few strokes with yellow sharpening gig with new file and it was wicked sharp and all teeth same length. The reason I am so found of 011s is they are 41cc in a 10 lb package....highest cc:wt ratio of top Stihl handles. The comparable new Stihl is MS241....42cc:10lb....rear handle....lot more money! But you need that kind of power to run full chisel chain effectively. Anyway, ran two tanks through it today clearing wide lane to put fence around pond in receiving pasture....ran well and cut well.....high side is a little rich...will lean it out a tad tomorrow. The yellow file gig has seen better days so ordered a new Granberg....will mod it for precision sharpening....might even learn to flat file full chisel which increases cutting speed over round filed full chisel by 20-25%. If you want to know more about advanced Granberg hand filing go to treefalling.com....George has a YouTube video of the process as well. Old saw on left....new one on right....jig is either old Poulan or McCullogh. 032 20" is in orange case....that saw gets old real quick!

14d4425e56d903b41ea17e40e3fb9f92.jpg

Think safety first for working facilities.....then monitor ease of cattle flow! Most working facility issues relate to ease of flow!

Earlier this week I was reminded of the former. The hydraulic chute we used for research has built in palpation gate which increases distance from back gate of chute to head gate considerably. If an animal balks at back of chute they must be prodded into head gate. A calf balked so there were two of us prodding him forward....headgate closed...then squeeze closed before I got my arm out. The result is a painful bruised forearm....luckily my arm didn't break! That reminded me to slow down!

e92e97c1e543a9117e7f8f632e87e78b.jpg

I redesigned our corral so palpation gates are built into alley way behind chute and can be closed off to block alley while working. New chute has just enough room for one cow with back door closed....not much room to balk! Contractor is putting finishing touches on pad which will support chute, scale and eventually a roof and two sides. Contractor went to HS with my wife. People who make their living finishing mud make the job so much easier for all! Ended with a broom finish for traction.....money well spent!

5dea8434c926651c23ed4fb7f03a426a.jpg

Some of you like to water trees or supply water to a remote cabin or God forbid haul water to deer so may find this set up useful. I just let tree roots do what God intended for them to do! Cattle will be received and hot wire broke in lot for 2-3 days which means I need to keep a 300 gal stock tank full. I really hate hauling water to stock as God gave cows legs and made certain soils good to hold water in ponds on creek pools. In time, new cows will learn to use standing water just like deer do!

Here are the specs:

- 275 gallon tote free
- 30' pool hose free
- a pair of rubber bushings to attach hose to non-standard thread tote valve....$8....(Google 'rubber pipe couplings')
- fill time = 55 min @ 5 gpm
- empty time = 15 min = 18 gpm
- 300 gal plastic tank was free in a ranch close out....one hole at 275 gal mark.

Red tote lid on top blew off somewhere on road......if you have a spare lid I could use it.
56483c0df37088a00e8c74406de005e8.jpg

Seems almost every time we worked cows and calves, my Dad would figure something about the process that needed a little tweak. My conclusion always was "All cows are stubborn, some more than others" Glad your arm injury was bruise only. Hope the new pad and cover work well.

There is a easier way to leave the turkey alone than getting hurt. Joking aside I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse than you did. We worked cattle last Friday before calves got to big to work. We like three to calve this spring. I got a picture of that hay spear I was talking about but I'm having trouble with photobucket so I will just text it to you.

If all tote lids are the same I have an extra lid at house and an extra lid at the farm. Since I got the well done at the farm I don't need the tank anymore but it is buried in the ground and a bear a few years ago thought a corner of the tank tasted good anyway. Only day I'm working next week is Tuesday so I can swing by after work and drop it off or if I'm in town this weekend I can drop it off then. Sons birthday is Sunday so may come to town for dinner. As far as fittings go my totes took a 2" threaded pvc coupling from Lowes.

Patch....I got a lid from Ag supply so won't need another till I lose this one.

Chute/scale is set in place. Each calibration weight is 100 lb....final readout was 600 lb.
5f29592e7475c36a6283826b461f2113.jpg

Had help this weekend and forecast today for humidity in 50s% and south wind 10-15....so made a few notification calls before....
96b9bd024f7e87654f9d0386b44944fb.jpg
....lighting the downwind sides at 1:30 pm.

Early blooms abound.
d1936b82c631a628a9b11771f2c1af48.jpg

Downwind was 'relative' today. Had 5 small ember skips burning east flank due to south wind shifting dead west. That made for long slow day. Had to blow fuel from downwind side of skips then wait on wind to shift before blowing fire back into the black
fd8834c93b29e16d1158c4f5bdda46bb.jpg

Notice here how fire doesn't carry well where we December hard grazed. Black line actually starts where e-fence resided.
96384b957ed41255b18d772a42b312dc.jpg

You can see better here how well switch and other NWSG carry fire at upper 50s% humidity.
4229f8d6946103016ce9d3853a3e9442.jpg

I have mentioned an 'old field grazing refers t

I have mentioned an 'old field grazing project' for the last two years. Looking at it you would think there is no way fire would carry. Brown is 'energy' either for cow or fire.....green is water!
29233268c943f0deed042dd92a7571f5.jpg

If you think mid-tall NWSG are low energy, then you might want to evaluate that under head fire conditions.
b52d457c181d6536615d843ad735609d.jpg

A few minutes later...black out! There is twice the green left in this field comaparing backing fire to head fire. Hopefully get top kill on elm sprouts and expect the old field herbaceous production to quadruple as tall NWSG expand their take. Low rate of switch and Korean lespedeza will be seeded here.
1a02205bb9d0e7cd52d771ccd800fce1.jpg

Made the final victory lap and paused for a sunset pic across the 37 ac. Called in 100% containment and end of fire at 7 pm sharp. Word on street is that at 9 am commissioners meeting tomorrow a county wide burn ban will be enacted. Couldn't have asked for better help and timing was about as good as it gets!
82ee41d2ffdc669c9d2b82ced4e2e0ca.jpg

Back