Egyptian wheat....mowing.....planned grazing

Thanks dgallow for the response. When I said late winter calving, I meant Feb/March. Which is probably called spring. The calves are currently in a pen waiting to go to sale. Was going to ship them this week but the price dropped so he is keeping them another week, hoping his gamble pays off and the price goes up. The rest of the herd is currently in the farthest pasture away from the pens so that a cow doesn't get uppity and break some fence if she hears a calf bawl.
E-fence training sounds easy enough. Get them use to it, make them respect it, do it in a place that they can't get out, gradually expand. Great tips on how to do it!
I love your method of vegetative impact using feed, hay, and mineral. I picked up on that on with some of your post's on the old forum and it's stuck with me.
I'll start adding your practices and advice to our place as opportunity presents itself.
Thanks!

Thanks dgallow for the response. When I said late winter calving, I meant Feb/March. Which is probably called spring. The calves are currently in a pen waiting to go to sale. Was going to ship them this week but the price dropped so he is keeping them another week, hoping his gamble pays off and the price goes up. The rest of the herd is currently in the farthest pasture away from the pens so that a cow doesn't get uppity and break some fence if she hears a calf bawl.
E-fence training sounds easy enough. Get them use to it, make them respect it, do it in a place that they can't get out, gradually expand. Great tips on how to do it!
I love your method of vegetative impact using feed, hay, and mineral. I picked up on that on with some of your post's on the old forum and it's stuck with me.
I'll start adding your practices and advice to our place as opportunity presents itself.
Thanks!

We usually wean across a good barbed fence. That way mom and calf can touch noses or bed right across the fence from one another....but the calf can't suckle.....it is a noisy few days but less stress on the animals. I know some folks who wean successfully with just a single strand of hotwire.....that way mom and calf have access to same stage of forage growth so there is no dietary upset to compound weaning stress.

My blind sits on the tame pasture side and overlooks part of the native unit. I moved the cows through a hot wire gate there Sun and it was convenient to sit and hunt and monitor the open gate to make sure there were no babies left behind....then close the gate to prevent back grazing of regrowth. This morning, I was again reminded why I don't like more than 1 calving season. The herd made their pass by the blind and there weren't enough deer in the area to be bothered anyway....mornings have been pitifully slow this week. Anyway, I was monitoring fill on the cattle and manure scores from the blind.....most all looked excellent. One fall calver was in heat and she had every spring born bull calf (they became steers last week) trying to mount her. None of those animals were full....she will lose some milk fending them off and her baby will take the hit......the steers will lose or only maintain weight until they are moved.

Consider this as a 'natural' definition of spring calving......first day of spring calving is ~60 days after perennial grass and legumes begin new growth in late winter. IF you start calving then, dry cows will have had 60 days of new growth to increase condition before calving and an unlimited amount of fresh green forage to repairing uterus, peak lactating, and rebreeding....provided grazing and stocking rate are properly managed. Those dates here correspond to 20 Feb and 22 April, respectively...that is the natural model for this area.

BTW...I don't think I'm very good at aging your deer that's why I don't try anymore.
They all look a bit different....easier using glass in the field....but to be honest I am only looking for 1 of a few racks to tag....age within reason isn't a goal. Took some pics today of 146 d rest pasture they are going into next, but don't have the connectivity today to upload them. Found some new plants and I want to show how a riparian should look under planned grazing.

The 'man of the week' in my area is this wide 8pt...came through chasing a doe at 9:30 am...so much for the heat suppressing breeding. He is a heavy bodied deer with almost full neck, slight swayed back, sagging belly and good basal mass. 4 or 3 is my guess....much larger body than any of the other bucks in pic. Main frame 12 on left walked under my bow stand last weekend....looked like a nice healthy 2....he got a pass...hope he lives a couple more years. It is not the best pic I have of the 8....just grabbed one from the survey. Cow horn spike looks 3.

Eased through the native unit in route to lunch. Checked a bow stand on the way and notice some nearby lumber was scratched...saving this spot for 'sweet November'.

A clump of big bluestem which was last burned in 2010 and protected by enough hinge cover to escape winter hoof impact of the herd. Can you see any of the few green leaves? No stems and seed heads for 2 yrs? Over-rest of native warm season grasses is detrimental to native habitat.

Several clumps of big bluestem in a heavy traffic high impact fire buffer area. Note all leaves are new and capturing sunlight and have a few seed heads and the old material has been completely trampled. Over-use of native warm season grasses is detrimental to native habitat.

To be healthy, most native rangeland should be impacted once per year in brittle areas (low rainfall) and preferably twice per year in non-brittle areas (high rainfall areas). The point here is that over-rest is just as detrimental to over-use of rangeland considering the whole soil-plant-animal interface.

I have watched deer eat new growth after mowing, new growth after grazing, and unchecked growth of this warm season legume every day this week....it is an October deer staple in our area. Would you like to guess what lespedeza it is? This plant is a component of both rangeland and tame pasture. The pic was taken in tame pasture...showing suppression by cattle impact.

Last edited:
An inch of rain fell in the gauge from a thunderstorm this afternoon....it will grow another ton of forage if hot dry fall weather continues....not bad for a 20% chance.

Is this how a riparian area is supposed to look?

We have about a quarter mile of riparian buffer area which is part of a major tributary for a local reservoir. We don't own the headland so are limited in what we can do for stream bank stabilization. During the 2015 floods, I would be standing in 10' of white water several times that spring. This pool is used for a stock water source for one paddock....gravel and rock bottom on this end are perfect for livestock use and equipment crossing. It is not fenced in any way to exclude cattle....instead it is planned grazed. You are looking at 144 days of recovery after the last grazing.

The pool with cut banks fully vegetated and aquatic species present. It is completely screened from county road. Yes that is Johnsongrass on the right.....seeded via floods my guess. We catch fish from this pool to stock our ponds in spring.

This is the channel downstream of pool.

And the overflow to right of channel. The inch of rain did very little to raise water level.

Deer patch asked to see some pasture. So these pics are from the rest of that 144 day recovered paddock. I high clipped western aster, cucklebur and lanceleaf ragweed first week Sept. Lance leaf and cocklebur were at higher density than I like to see.....deer wore out the aster regrowth after mowing. Some tall weeds and thickets were left again timber for soft edge effect.

Don't believe that a mixed Bermuda/fescue lacks diversity. You won't get diverse pastures with a cow standing on the forage all the time. Let them impact the area, give a long growing season recovery, and then monitor diversity before grazing again. These are a few legumes I encountered on the dive to check pool level.

Striate (kobe) lespedeza is a preferred warm season cow forage in late summer and fall....important protein source....one of the first plants sought.

I have no clue what warm season legume this is.....any ideas? It was growing on the creek bank. Apparent heavy use.

Some type cool season legume.....it has tendrils....either some type of vetch or maybe singletary pea.

Is the cow horn spike legal to take? Is he on the list for you or the guests? I see you have done amazing things to the riparian creek bank...I commend you on your dedication.

I know some on here probably don't see the interest in pasture as I do but I do like to see pasture land and what you accomplish in that summer heat.

That is some comparison on the native grass and fire should help with regrowth.

Is the cow horn spike legal to take? Is he on the list for you or the guests? I see you have done amazing things to the riparian creek bank...I commend you on your dedication.

I know some on here probably don't see the interest in pasture as I do but I do like to see pasture land and what you accomplish in that summer heat.

That is some comparison on the native grass and fire should help with regrowth.

We can shoot any antlered deer with at least 3" of antler on one side and annual season limit is 2 bucks. I make a list each of several deer which appear to have some age to them for people to choose from and have an idea of what to look for....but a person is welcome to shoot whatever buck they want. The point is not to harvest more than 20% of surveyed buck population....that will build and sustain buck age distribution for many seasons to come. Other than special circumstances, I like to see only 1 buck harvested per hunter....when 2 are harvested by 1 person that burns someone else's cornbread.

That is the second 'mega-spike' I have seen since 1983.....so a very very low heritability antler trait in this area....and can't rule out it being more related to previous injury etc. Wide 8s and 7s with short 2s are much higher antler frequency than the spike. I personally wouldn't be happy shooting either one unless they were very old deer. That goes back to the comment above....harvest for antlers and 'age within reason'.

I like to see diverse pasture.....when it is diverse then you have habitat....wildlife habitat and cow habitat....cow habitat isn't a manicured pasture!

Sure fire will reset the clock on that big bluestem, but is more profitable and sustainable long term for the cattle herd to do the regeneration through high stock density management. By going to twice or thrice over grazing in both tame pasture and native unit we would have 120-180 d recovery periods....could you imagine the biomass, new diversity, and soil health that would create?

Anyway, herd went to the 146 d rest paddock this morning.....put their heads down, got quiet, and grazed....did not hear a peep from them this eve. It was interesting to see the individuality in preference....different animals seeking different plants...perhaps from memory of where those plants were located. The grazing there will be a light pass since we have good growing conditions. Went through last paddock grazed looking for missed babies (there were none)....verified what I saw the other day in that cows were making a hit on western ragweed....that is good as it is the longest day forb we have but lowest preference of the ragweeds. I intentionally hit that small paddock hard this go around....and sometimes that is what it takes to train the animals to use some low preference forbs and brush....could have went another day or two but that ain't good for new moms and babes.

There is a method of grazing management called 'boom and bust' practiced out west. I think that could be done for 1 different paddock per season in the higher rainfall areas to give a person a good idea of how to better tweak diversity. This method gives similar effect as fire in that practically everything is either eaten or trampled....differs from mob grazing in that grazing stay can be 2-3 weeks for more hits on forbs and brush and all plant classes....recovery period can be a year or more. This is a good way stimulate forb and brush diversity in grass dominated areas before the grass regains dominance.....watch Ray Bannister's video for more information.

Storm put acorns on the ground....and it was 86 today....not many deer this eve and nothing before 6 pm...they were scattered.... Sucky season....but I am finding ways to have fun!

The second legume photo is one we have here. The plant looks very similar to beggar lice that has been bushoged or grazed early in the growing season. A lot of our sandy ridges have that plant.

End of October madness

Last week of Oct is always busy....hunting, moving cows, spreading seed, conference/district/state volleyball. A very tiring week but always seems rewarding.

Son-in-law has an itchy finger and found reward opening morning. The hit was low on front shoulder and spotty blood. The deer was given 3 hours but we didn't know the hit location when we started. They spent about 30 min before I got there and couldn't find blood (it is a skill the boys need to hone)....so I started making wide arcs in the direction of travel and we found first blood and a bone chip 50 yards away in a ditch crossing. That is a clue something isn't right. My son and I tracked slowly and gave hand signals for general travel while he still hunted ahead of us. Buck stood from his bed and was shot a second time in the liver which probably sealed his fate. He rebedded, jumped again (prolly adrenalin) and received a third before finally expiring. I found over the years it is best to follow a slow methodical track while actually doing more looking ahead than looking at blood. While you are messing around looking for blood, you will lose focus on being quiet and the deer you are after can sneak out without you ever knowing. Dressed weight 125 lb....3 or 4 year old....9 points. Note all the senescent leaf material of NWSG....a byproduct on insufficient cattle impact in this corner which is furthest from winter feeding grounds....this is where you 'bale graze' or place the mineral feeder to get remote impact. We will burn this unit in March so no worries.

High winds during the rain Wednesday and daily thereafter shook acorns from trees and scattered deer. A few does were coming into estrous so buck groups seen early in the week disbanded into singles or pairs with attitudes....numbers of scrapes and rubs increased with the increased tension....increased tarsal staining. Thursday morning about 6:45 am I could hear a buck making a rub close to the blind.....due to fog and a small cedar I could not see deer nor bush movement in the glass.....fog lifted and rub was 45 yards away...go figure! With mid 80 highs and acorns on the ground, deer stopped heading enmasse to destination areas of plots and soft mast...except at night for socialization and reprieve from biting insects of timber. Needless to say deer sightings and activity declined through the week....to the point of being 'pitiful'...and it is really hard to get motivated to hunt in such conditions when you are used to seeing 20 deer in a sit. So, I hunted a different quarry one morning and bagged a few from an elm....oyster mushrooms.

Four of the last 5 black powder seasons have been less productive than in the past. Maybe it is due to a shift in mid-term weather patterns or climate or some other forgotten factor. Gun season which is a few weeks later seems better than in past years. So it is a fair trade.

The last evening of blackpowder season arrived. My son and I waited until 4 pm to head out to avoid the heat. About mid-way into the walk, I noticed wind on the back of my neck and spider webs streaming forward (yes, I was that tired)....What?...North?.....that wasn't in the forecast earlier that morning! We went to our selected spots anyway...north wind means blind windows must stay mostly closed....the massive cold front dropped temp from 82-81 in 1 hour....so I spent most of the final eve sweating and cursing about sweating. Pretty sure a mature buck slipped through about sunset, as I could see a tail flick and deep neck through timber, but couldn't see antler nor tarsal. North wind died...southerly thermal took over and the windows opened....but he never materialized in a shooting lane. I will take solace in believing 'maybe I saw a mature buck'! Before sunset, a distant shot with no double report shattered the evening silence (single report always sounds like a miss).....thought it was my boy but he didn't respond to my text (not sure who I texted but wasn't him)....neighbor asked if it was me and I said, No!.....okay maybe another neighbor.

My son was hunting over a half mile away. Two mature bucks were using that area the eve before the opener (area was dead the week before season and we didn't pull cards until Tuesday at noon...go figure). He sat that stand Tuesday AM and had a buck with a limp every two steps skirt behind him and not offer a shot....said it was an 8 (I knew different)..he had work and we had to watch some vball next few days so the area was rested. Checked cam again Friday and one buck was showing up there at night...and had a slight limp in his back foot. That cam is run on video mode starting Oct to get an idea of travel routes and nature of deer activity...how do you think I knew the buck had a slight limp every two gaits? A still image over an attractant won't capture the nature of deer activity in the area and distant images are often blurry. You've seen it..... image of the one triggering the cam is focused and some 'blobs' in the background...when you zoom the distant image is pixilated. With video mode you won't gain resolution, but it is pretty easy to see if it is a mature buck or a young buck chasing a doe at 100+ yards from the camera....based on body size differences and on intensity of the chase etc.....10-15 sec vids with 3 min timeout....try it! Most rut activity often occurs on the fringes of food and fringes of bed...so it makes sense to aim cam to monitor those areas for some distance. Anyway, work would have my son busy and state championship was Sat pm....so he was left with the final day to hunt. Back to the hunt....I told him to sit tight on the N wind and just watch the downside and try to get the needed shot off before he got winded....too late to move....so what else do you do? He sat tight while a doe pair fed through and didn't get busted. This is when high temps are actually an advantage...because it pushes deer movement after sunset when thermals take over and make the 'wind right for the stand'. He finally texted me and said the late shot was him....I was dwelling upon several things....the sound of distant single report echoing over the ranch...remembering the 5 does in front of me flinch....remember them staring back in the timber at the 'ghost buck' I saw a few minutes prior....glancing over at the distant bank of clouds in the sunset...thinking he missed....and really just waiting on enough darkness to sneak out and end this deal! Text received....'Got blood'. Text sent 'You got a light?. Text received, NO! Text sent 'CENSORED'! lol Long story short, got back to the barn and I grabbed a couple lights, some odds and ends and an extra knife (you wanna bet he forgot a knife too?) and walked back in there in the dark (you know a place when you don't need a light to walk at night). Lit the beams and blood was immediate to impact.....dual spatter 10 yards out....followed it up on a hog-back ridge.....and ended the track here finding a double lung hit tight to the shoulder! He dressed 122 lb with 11 points and cut-up in the cooler by 10 PM. Boy took the jaw out and I didn't look at it closely....4 is my guess. My boy's WONDERFUL wife had dinner ready for us when we got back to the house....know you know why I call her my daughter and gave her a long appreciative hug!

End of October madness....continued.

As I get older, hunting is much less important.....I say this in retrospect....from younger days when vices took away some quality time with others. We have one child left to raise....so priorities have changed. Lil Blonde is a junior now and I won't miss much of the 7A volleyball!

Fayetteville won the volleyball conference championship by beating Har-ber in three straight sets. They are our biggest rival and were decimated by the loss with even parents crying (this happens when you spend too much effort living through your children). That put our team in the driver seat for the state tournament. Throttled Van Buren in 3 sets in the quarter finals....I didn't go since we throttled them in 3 a week prior in conference play and it would be a chance for the coach to do some last minute 'playing time for subs'...I opted for a better game on Thursday. After the Thursday morning hunt, I was in a hurry to get on the road and asked my DIL, "Do you want to go watch the game?"....she said sure and grabbed a few things and was ready. Another nice thing about my new daughter, she doesn't require an hour to change etc before leaving! Daughter-in-law's visit was my a surprise to my wife and real daughter. We drove over for the quarter final against North Little Rock...stopping occasionally to let the pregnant woman do what pregnant women do....pee and get a cold drink...and repeat the process....and adjust the passenger seat 50 times trying to find comfort! I just laugh, as I remember those days! Har-ber was playing Conway in the other semi just before our game....Har-ber won in 5 sets. Conference championships were being played at Har-ber gym....and the student body chanted loudly after the game, "We want Fayetteville!, We want Fayetteville! etc." I looked at my wife and said, "Be careful of what you ask...you may get more than you bargained for!" During the pre-game warm-up, several of the North Little Rock players were saying, "What is so special about this Fayetteville team?" To which I snickered to my wife, "Soon they will find out!" The first set of semi-final, saw Fayetteville blocking every hitting attempt of North Little Rock, mid-way into the second set our opponents were beating themselves, and during the third set they had totally given up on playing that game. It was sad to see a team play like that, but the win sent us to the state championship in Hot Springs. Hot Springs is a special town for the little Blonde....she has always won a championship there...either in club or school ball.....and she plays hard leaving everything on the court. Fayetteville team spent the next day just chilling and having fun and being quiet. Har-ber went to a hotel, had some manicure thing, and a big media session....the gest of their opinion was that our team has talent but no heart? That is rather ironic since we have a rather scrappy team!

We won the first two sets, stumbled in the third, regained composure and won the championship in the 4th set by a decisive score. You could feel the momentum change in our final favor about mid way into the 4th set. Here is the back to back 7A Fayetteville state champions. Our opponent got what they asked for! We have a very solid team both physically and mentally and they probably spend more time playing than working at playing compared to most teams....team bonding and cohesion is a very powerful tool! Lil Blonde is #10...friend to her right has signed with University of Florida...there are two other girls on the team signed to D1 (Montana and Washington).

Here is my Rock Star! She had several key digs on tough hits in the first set which set the stage for our charge. Probably some of the best defense we have seen her play....she is not tall....but plays much bigger than her height and with a lot of heart. Her serves were spot on. Her coaches told me she played a really great game....to which I humbly replied, "She played okay!"...and they repeated, She played a great game!"! (sometimes you just want to hear a compliment twice). There is just something about Hot Spring which makes this kid really want to play!

As a family we have been blessed and near the end of the year will have a grandpup! Maybe next season will be a three-peat!

Maybe....but I do encourage self-motivation....which will be needed the rest of her life....and she is motivated right now so time to roll with it!

The championship is now on youtube.....Lil Blonde is #10!
Love this! congrats on your great season. My daughter is a sophomore in a small 1a school in sw misouri, she's a starting middle hitter on a team that starts 5 sophomores and a junior . they won their district this year for the 1st time in 15 years but lost in the sectional. Has Lil Blondi had any college offers yet? if not it won't be long! Again congrats love these stories

Not that I am aware of.....maybe next year when she is libero (hopefully).....which she was against Nettleton early in the season and got 23 digs for player of the match award. I honestly don't worry about her college play....because I got too much into that with my other kids and probably took some fun out the game for them. So for this kid I stressed to her very early in life that what she embarked upon at age 8 was to start her senior year of high school....stressed that as being a high but reasonably attainable goal.....what ever she does above that is her choice! Keep in mind she has to dig those girls who are hitting in practice which is challenging in itself. It takes guts to want to do that and when the blocks are late her work load doubles...but she has fun doing it. She a smart kid and likes to be challenged in school...she can honestly do whatever she sets her mind to doing! I am fine with whatever decision she makes!

Faith (12) is our middle who was transitioned to hitting outside after the early season loss to Harber....that gave her flexibility to hit the 3 in the slot, do a swing to hit the right side and more blocking and hitting potential on the left side. She is athletic and that girl has turned it on in the last year and now headed to Montana. It is all about beating the blocks and having a dynamic offense at this level of play. Most middles can hit the quick set and that works well until you get teams who know how to block....then you better be able to run the other offenses to keep them off balance. Let your daughter watch the video and focus on #12....of course you must have a good setter too! MO is a tough state....lots of volleyball talent! Best wishes to your daughter...that team is young which is a good thing!

Congratulations on the state championship. It takes a lot of work to get there. I just signed my daughter up for a JO club in Little Rock. Youth volleyball is not big in our area but it is growing and she loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back