Early planting?

Charleston Treeman

Supposed to head up to the lead this weekend to do a little work on plots and shooting lanrs. They are forecasting rain for the next several weeks. I know it's early for fall planting but I am considering planting with the promise of all this moisture. It's also unseasonably cool right now. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Plantings this time of year in Arkansas are inviting army worms. In addition, September is usually hot and dry - and even if everything did well, you might end up with calf high wheat come mid october that is not as palatable as nice, young, just sprouted wheat.

Grains - I would say no.

Brassicas, chicory and clover - I would say fine if you get plenty of rain.

One other consideration is that you may have more weed problems.

I'm in a similar situation. I did just plant some small plots that aren't extremely important to me (as an experiment) but waiting until around Sept 1 to do the most important plot. If the small ones are a bust, I will redo them then.

Good luck....

Plant some brassica in a strip to get a jump on the season. Too early for small grains although if you're anxious to plant, one neat trick is to plant oats now, then mow them in September to bring out fast established new growth.

Thanks for the input guys. Just looking at planting some BOB brassica/clover mix I picked up on clearance at the end of last season. It's going in a couple of small plots that got destroyed in the timber recovery efforts after Matthew. Not expecting deer to use them much this year if at all, but I'd like to keep something going in them.

Thanks for the input guys. Just looking at planting some BOB brassica/clover mix I picked up on clearance at the end of last season. It's going in a couple of small plots that got destroyed in the timber recovery efforts after Matthew. Not expecting deer to use them much this year if at all, but I'd like to keep something going in them.

If you have rain it'd be good to plant clover. It takes clover longer to get started.

I like sunflowers or beans this time of year with the intent of burning it down and doing a fall plot anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Planting early in the south is not the same as planting early up north y'all. August is the peak heat of summer for us. Insects like grasshoppers and such are also in full force.

I'm in North Central Arkansas and I was planning to plant my brassica, turnips and sugar beets this weekend, because of the rain coming in the next 8-10 days.

I won't be able to plant again until Labor Day weekend.

Now I'm second guessing myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I'm in North Central Arkansas and I was planning to plant my brassica, turnips and sugar beets this weekend, because of the rain coming in the next 8-10 days.

I won't be able to plant again until Labor Day weekend.

Now I'm second guessing myself.

I'd go ahead, and have done so on Labor Day in AL with zero problems (although there have been times where it had to wait to germinate due to missing the rain forecasted)... but that's just me

This weather is crazy. Cool and rainy for the foreseeable future is pretty awesome for plot growth and tree growth. Going back to that huge rain even in October 2 years ago we are definitely in a wet cycle. Much better than the drought we were in a few years ago.

This weather is crazy. Cool and rainy for the foreseeable future is pretty awesome for plot growth and tree growth. Going back to that huge rain even in October 2 years ago we are definitely in a wet cycle. Much better than the drought we were in a few years ago.
Yeah it is. I'm hoping we actually see some freezes and frosts this year. Mosquitos are getting ruthless out there.

Back