Eagles in the ground, finally

FL Plotter

Late start, boys. Too dry, too wet, and now HOT (95 yesterday), but they in. 2.5 acre main field. 1 acre satellite plot. And 3 acres of mowing. 14 hours door to door (1 hr tow). Got some rain coming next week, so the only question is can they handle the browse.

Best year of clover ever....been doing this plot thing for 10 years.

reduced IMG_7292.jpg reduced IMG_7304.jpg reduced IMG_7306.jpg reduced IMG_7308.jpg reduced IMG_7311.jpg reduced IMG_7313.jpg reduced IMG_7316.jpg reduced IMG_7318.jpg

Planted some Big fellow in rye a month ago and they seem to be lagging behind the other plots with ag beans. Not sure why but they just haven't taken off yet. Smallest plot of a half acre or so has been over browsed and beans aren't growing fast enough to compensate. Tilling the ground may help them off to a faster start though.

I planted two five acre plots and one eight acre plot of eagle seed. Weather has been like yours in FL. Too wet early and dry as a bone later. First five acre plot, hogs ate all the seed before it germinated. Second five acre plot came up well - but a month of upper 90’s and no rain has kept it to almost nothing - but still my best bean plot. Last plot - the eight acre plot was planted after the rain quit. Poor germination. The few plants eaten by deer and hogs as soon as they plant. Top pic is my BEST eagle seed plot this year. Bottom pic is what this plot normally looks like

2CD2F943-9F32-453E-B5A6-6CF779338DF7.jpeg DFF97176-51F7-44C9-841D-7074180BB725.jpeg

I planted two five acre plots and one eight acre plot of eagle seed. Weather has been like yours in FL. Too wet early and dry as a bone later. First five acre plot, hogs ate all the seed before it germinated. Second five acre plot came up well - but a month of upper 90’s and no rain has kept it to almost nothing - but still my best bean plot. Last plot - the eight acre plot was planted after the rain quit. Poor germination. The few plants eaten by deer and hogs as soon as they plant. Top pic is my BEST eagle seed plot this year. Bottom pic is what this plot normally looks like

View attachment 12468 View attachment 12469
I don't have pics, but I have the exact same situation as you this year in southern OK.

Mine are getting rained on right now....so at least I got that right.

Eagles are waaaaaay too expensive for me to throw and mow.....gotta get them deep in the soil. They are very browse resistant, but it doesn't take too many deer munching on them early to severely stunt their growth.

Mine are getting rained on right now....so at least I got that right.

Eagles are waaaaaay too expensive for me to throw and mow.....gotta get them deep in the soil. They are very browse resistant, but it doesn't take too many deer munching on them early to severely stunt their growth.

You are correct - at $100/bag/acre - you have to do everything you can to get them to grow. If you can keep the deer off them for a month - they are much better than ag beans. If you cant, you might as well have planted ag beans - at least you wouldnt be out as much money if the deer eat them up.

Back