Drought and Survival

9c74bed2c29777b16fb1580067439ac7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’re setting at a half inch with the chance of another 2 tenths overnight. Looks like we’re still waiting on that 1 inch rain. At least we got our first half since January.

Looks like you’re gonna kick our tail in accumulation once again Okie. Enjoy it!!!

Last edited:
Got our official tally from the farm, .4”. Still waiting for a .5” rain. I honestly can’t remember what a 2” rain looks like Okie. Sigh…….

But you got your half inch… Let’s be thankful for that.

But you got your half inch… Let’s be thankful for that.

I guess, it’s just not going to do anything without more. We are in such bad shape, it doesn’t even help the pastures to a noticeable degree. We have watered the garden twice and trees twice since the 4/10s last week. It simply doesn’t get down into the soil in a way that does much. In-laws sold almost a quarter of their herd this week, momma cows, not just calves. If things don’t turn around, they will be selling more soon. They did pasture 360 cow/calf pairs. None of these were culls, they sold those last fall because of hay shortage. These were good momma cows they’d spent years building.
It especially hurts because they were forecasting just this morning that we would get upwards of 2”. Meanwhile OKC, which has been hurting too, has gotten over 5” in the last two weeks and they are under a flood watch right now. It’s simply unbelievable. Now all the dumb meteorologists will pat themselves on the back and say all the drought stricken people got help “like they predicted”. Nope!

Last edited:
Just watched a 24 minute detailed forecast of May precipitation accumulations. It doesn’t look good. SE of us looks great, once again good for you Okie, and those of you in Arkansas and Texas. The upper Midwest looks good, and we’re again stuck in the middle with jack squat. He even talked about the fact that today’s system stayed south of us with no explanation as to why. El Niño they’ve been talking about is being overcome by a big section of cold water off the west coast. For the most part the entire 25 minutes was a tribute to “it sucks to be us in Southern Kansas”.

We’re setting at a half inch with the chance of another 2 tenths overnight. Looks like we’re still waiting on that 1 inch rain. At least we got our first half since January.

Looks like you’re gonna kick our tail in accumulation once again Okie. Enjoy it!!!

Mmmm...I just now looked in the rain gauge...1/2”you say?

79981514c692bc9e89be95f831065985.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it done for you Okie? We’re done up here. No more chance through the night.

Is it done for you Okie? We’re done up here. No more chance through the night.
Pretty much done...they show a small chance around 5 am or so but I wouldn’t bet it changes that gauge at all if it happens. We did have chances for Sunday through the entire rest of the 2 week forecast but they took them out and now our next chance is next Thursday...I am bracing for summer and just hope we get at least 1 cutting off our hay field! I have a few bales left we may be feeding later this summer...i moved the cattle onto the last grass we have yesterday hoping the grass in the last paddock grows quite a bit in the next 3 weeks with this small rain...I know how summers are here and they aren’t good!

Pretty much done...they show a small chance around 5 am or so but I wouldn’t bet it changes that gauge at all if it happens. We did have chances for Sunday through the entire rest of the 2 week forecast but they took them out and now our next chance is next Thursday...I am bracing for summer and just hope we get at least 1 cutting off our hay field! I have a few bales left we may be feeding later this summer...i moved the cattle onto the last grass we have yesterday hoping the grass in the last paddock grows quite a bit in the next 3 weeks with this small rain...I know how summers are here and they aren’t good!
IF the Nutrían ag forecast is correct, you will be more than fine this summer. Of course, those models are about as reliable as Biden at times. How are the ponds down there holding up?

KSQ2 is wallowing in the mud drinking a celebratory beer !😂

In other news, we had some thunderstorms last night or this morning. My JRT got me up about 2:00 am to go pee and I immediately noticed my generator running. Don’t know when we lost electricity or for how long, I just went back to bed after Sarge finished his business. I noticed a bunch of limb tips scattered around and some pine trees that had been across the highway between here and town so we must have had some pretty good winds. We got .6” out of that little storm, and looks like we have some more out to our west now.

Got .6" south of Hays on the place. Had about that much a week or so before. And forecast is looking promising though temps in the 90s today and tomorrow which seems really hot early. If the coyotes quit digging out my wind break I planted maybe some of it will survive.

Looks like Texas is gonna get drenched this week, Eastern OK should get very wet, and we'll again get pretty much nothing -- anything less than an inch at this point is nothing. Yay!

This cold water has been our nemesis for way too long now….
IMG_1860.jpeg

Looks like Texas is gonna get drenched this week, Eastern OK should get very wet, and we'll again get pretty much nothing -- anything less than an inch at this point is nothing. Yay!

This cold water has been our nemesis for way too long now….
View attachment 25364
Looking at that map I fail to see how it shows Texas and Oklahoma are gonna be wet when Kansas is not...it appears the entire west coast is cooler water? We do have several ”chances” of rain this week but I am a believe it when it’s actually falling on me type person...we have had this same forecast a few times already with no or very little rain already this year...

Looking at that map I fail to see how it shows Texas and Oklahoma are gonna be wet when Kansas is not...it appears the entire west coast is cooler water? We do have several ”chances” of rain this week but I am a believe it when it’s actually falling on me type person...we have had this same forecast a few times already with no or very little rain already this year...
That map only addresses the differences between an El Niño pattern and a La Niña pattern. We are kind of stuck between right now. The waters along the equator are heating up more than the past couple years at this time, but the waters off the West Coast are not, and that needs to happen.
Earlier in the video they address rain chances this week and Texas is looking at flooding possibilities. Eastern OK has a good chance of picking up inches. The SE will get very wet again as well. Texas is the only place looking at 5"+ possibly. There are SW flowing upper level winds right now and moisture is getting pulled into it from the Gulf, this is what happens many Mays and Junes, but it's not making it all the way up to us yet. All this said, because the cold water off the west coast is messing this up some, the systems coming into the southern plains and southern US are not big systems that are easy to predict. Also, recurring low pressure systems in the Pacific NW are bringing rain into the upper midwest, but they're not getting down to us. So once again, like what has been going on for close to 2 years, we're stuck in the middle.

Back