Drought and Survival

Freaking missed us again, this time by less than 20 miles to the south. How can this keep happening again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again?? What I would give for a quarter inch rain at this point….

Freaking missed us again, this time by less than 20 miles to the south. How can this keep happening again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again?? What I would give for a quarter inch rain at this point….
I feel for you...we Bales hay today and got less than 1/2 the yield we got on our first cutting last year...less than a bale an acre...

Same. I haven’t done the final count but the first girl we baked is usually around 75 bales. In a good year it can push toward 100. This year was 38…. Good thing we have plenty left from last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched the latest report from Nutrían Ag solutions. The future looks bleak. No Bermuda high to speak of and extremely cold water off the West coast is negating all positive effects from El Niño. When is this going to end???:(

Just watched the latest report from Nutrían Ag solutions. The future looks bleak. No Bermuda high to speak of and extremely cold water off the West coast is negating all positive effects from El Niño. When is this going to end???:(
When a tropical system comes up from the gulf and obliterates your sucky weather pattern.

When a tropical system comes up from the gulf and obliterates your sucky weather pattern.
That's about the only hope right now. Because the high in the Atlantic is setting close to Greenland right now, there is no warm humid flow coming into the midwest from the gulf. The heat dome over Texas has tried to bring some south to north flow, and while it has missed us entirely -- it's trying to help the corn belt. We're going to do our best to disrupt everything in the gulf by traveling to Destin in a few weeks. When we've been there in the past, it's pretty much red flag warnings galore and no swimming at the beach. If nothing changes, we will lose our surviving trees while we're gone, with no water at the farm, I have nobody to do the watering.

We're getting rain again, but there's been a significant amount missing us as well. Our camp is the one with the loop at the end. Last week, I watched a storm follow the road were off of, only on the south side. Driveway/road on map is 1/5ish mile long.Screenshot_20230701-191812.png

Same. I haven’t done the final count but the first girl we baked is usually around 75 bales. In a good year it can push toward 100. This year was 38…. Good thing we have plenty left from last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Autocorrect really f@*#ed this one... 😂 😂 😂 I have never baked a girl I swear!

It’s pouring 35 miles south of us in OK, not a drop here. 55% humidity and relatively low pressure and nothing, just died west of us a couple ours ago. Makes no sense….

I simply can no longer believe it’s ever going to rain good again. How many times can it die at our doorstep? I’m looking NW right now and it looks phenomenal, but it won’t make it here, it simply no longer does. Closing in on 14 months without a 2” rain.

Coming down again pretty good this morning. We ended up with 8/10s yesterday. If we can get a big one after these smaller rains soaking the ground pretty good, we could get help desperately needed for the ponds. Cat got a huge rain yesterday 80 miles west of us — 4”! Happy for him, they needed it maybe even worse than us.

Now, just what happened to our big rains today? Maybe I’m just being impatient….

Last edited:
Still awaiting our “torrential rainfall”…. Meteorologists are such drama queens, good grief.

Yep...still sitting on that 1/4”...I put down $2500 worth of 34/10/10 on our hayfield based on “inches” of rain coming and we got 1/4” the day after I put it down and not a drop since...been 3 days now and the nitrogen is no longer anywhere to be found.

Well after all the hoopla about “several inches of rain” spread out over 7 days of rain every day the tally came out to a total of .5 here but west of us got 7-9”...

Back