Does this young oak look okay?

KSQ2

We’ve obviously been fighting drought, which you all know I’ve documented quite well lol.
Is this oak doing okay? Its leaves look a little different than the others. I didn’t label these oaks, so I’m not sure which variety it is.
IMG_0014.jpeg

We’ve obviously been fighting drought, which you all know I’ve documented quite well lol.
Is this oak doing okay? Its leaves look a little different than the others. I didn’t label these oaks, so I’m not sure which variety it is.
View attachment 27814

Looks like it’s caught some overspray. Has someone been spraying herbicide nearby?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like it’s caught some overspray. Has someone been spraying herbicide nearby?

That’s possible, but the field edge is a good 30 yards from the tree. I didn’t see any evidence on surrounding native vegetation.

That’s possible, but the field edge is a good 30 yards from the tree. I didn’t see any evidence on surrounding native vegetation.

Doesn’t take much. Especially on young tender growth. Look up dicamba drift.

They were burning down a field to get ready for beans — glyphosate maybe? Can trees recover? What about older trees? Can trees that survive build up an immunity? They’ve been spraying for years and I’ve never had a problem. Since they went away from plane spraying anyway.

Years ago I planted some bareroot jujube trees. They had been in the ground a couple years. One of them got a little wind drift overspray. It didn't kill it but set it back. It seemed fine the next year. 10 years down the road, the other trees are 20' tall and as thick as my arm. The one that got hit still greens up every spring but it is less than 6' tall and very small caliper.

The operator thought the spray was 24d, gly, and something called sonic.

That’ll do it. My orchard was hit from aerial 24D overspray several years ago. They “thought” the conditions were good but they weren’t and all my Chestnuts did the same as yours. They did recover but it took them a year. It also depends on how much exposure they had. Chestnuts seem very sensitive to these types of herbicides. I had one down in the deer woods about 10’ away from our spray rig that caught a whiff of some gly one time that straight up died on me a few weeks later. It was a nice pretty tree too.

Matt

Last edited:
Back