Doe and Fawn - Shoot? If so, what?

I tend to pass on doe that have spotted fawns or fawns that are small(no spots). I will shoot a doe with a bigger fawn and have shot both. I have also gone several years without killing anything because I like to just sit and watch the deer. I also tend to think about the work that follows if I shoot a deer, since I process my own.

Tag soup was mentioned in an earlier post. I don't worry about it. I am happy with my decision to pass on deer and not shoot one if I so choose. This is my 6th year to go to Ohio at a total cost of around $700 round trip. I have yet to shoot a deer and fill a tag(we get 2 either sex tags) and have been happy every year with it. One of my friends on the other hand, stresses over it. We finally convinced him that the trip isn't just about killing deer, its about friendship, being away from family and work and enjoying what God has given us. He has relaxed some, but we can see it still bothers him a little.

I like eating deer meat as much as the next guy and I fully support anyone shooting any legal deer they want to shoot regardless of whether it's a buck, doe, or fawn but I personally am not going to shoot a fawn nor am I going to shoot a doe that has a fawn with her. I've read all about how the fawn will survive and all of that good stuff but I don't have what it takes to shoot one or the other and then potentially have the remaining deer left behind standing around trying to figure out why the other one isn't following along. Just don't have what it takes I guess.
me either

Back